treating roots a different way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: treating roots a different way

problem is you need to cut out the liner the full 4'' opening or you'll have a hang up. the wye is 4'' the biggest access is 3'' and the carbide cutter is smaller.

possibly a jetter with a rotary chain flail like the root rat.

turning a $200. concrete drilling/ root killer job into several thousand with 2 liners and attempting to cut it out fully

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Well the front step is broken in the center of the picture so it's not a movie stars house,,,,,,is the issue money? even if you beat the roots off the pipe is broken the waste is going into the water table, the y will probably continue to sink and it will need to be repaired anyway right?
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I'd just rootx annually and worry about damage when it happens... but you have a much longer growing season and it may be more of an issue in your location.

If you really want access to it, and removing and replacing the concrete is not an option, could you take out the center strip of brick, dig as close to it as you can get, poison the heck out of the earth underneath, and put the brick back?

Maybe leave a small soft copper line accessible there and poked down into the area of the wye and you can force some roundup down it once in a while?

Just some ideas.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

alex, the 1/2'' hole can be increased to 5/8'' for coper if need be. removing the brick is not an issue as it can easily be matched. but i'm bot sure if removing the brick is much more effective than the few holes i would drill.

the roundup is interesting, but does it require sunlight to work

could i just pour dry rootx into the hole and let the chemical do the same.

killing the roots from outside the pipe would prevent root damage to the pipe.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

for what it is worth, here is a article of some one doing much the same idea,

http://www.askthebuilder.com/326_Sew...ee_Roots.shtml
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

i made a water powered soil probe when i do my pipe bursting. i have 1 that bores straight down and 1 that bores 90 degrees that i can rotate the direction of choice.

sounds like if i drill the 1/2'' hole/ holes, i can fill a 5 gallon bucket with a 1# of copper sulfate and 4 gallons of hot water. then pump it into the soil to quench the area with copper sulfate kool-aid. kind of like jim jones

cheap investment and time will tell.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Take the brick centerpiece out. Then undermine over to the WYE. Physically remove whatever you can. Apply whatever treatment you want.

You could make a 3/4" copper treatment tube just as tooly-tool suggests and bring it up from the WYE to under the brick ledge. Flush or just above, female adapter, brass plug.

J.C.

Comment

the roundup is interesting, but does it require sunlight to work

rick.[/QUOTE]

Roundup needs to contact green leaves to work

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    bill, i surgically sawcut the concrete with no over cuts

problem is there is no way to match the concrete color or finish that's right in front of her door. anywhere else it's a no brainer

even the brick would be a simple patch and fix.

rick.
                    Rick why don't you take your tunneling jetter rig and hit this baby from the side. Jet yourself a nice little hole over to the sewer, deposit a load of copper sulfate, then back out. You could leave a pipe in the tunnel you jet to allow future chemical deposits, plus that pipe/sleeve will help keep the sidewalk / bricks from settling.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Here Is my Idea Rick. Core a 4" hole thru concrete, use shop vac or something similar to remove soil till close to the pipe then put what ever soup of arbor killing concauction you can make up, Then fill with silica sand and re-camera in 1 year??

Like they say just do it!

Comment

4'' is 3.5'' too much i know i can bore with my water probe 5' deep. as this is my tool i use to soften when i pipe burst. the 1/2'' hole will allow me to inject copper sulfate premixed with hot water into the soil on and around the wye. i will either pour the copper sulfate in dry and add the hot water or pump it in under pressure.

then i'll either seal the holes with a cork or pour stone. the cork will allow me to add more later, the pour stone will be a 1 shot deal.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Here is what I would consider doing....

1) Cut out all the tree roots with a Root Ranger, of course, and inspect with a Ridgid mini SeeSnake Camera then return in 6 weeks when the fine white tails roots start growing. This is when the roots are most vunerable. Pump Zero (root killer/herbicide) with a foaming agent down drain. This will kill every tree that is feeding from the drain. Illegal, but it works.

2) Same as option 1 but use a good root foam product. Must be carried out annually. This will kill the roots inside the pipe and 1" outside the pipe. We maintain over 500 properties annually with this product and have a 99% success rate.

3) Cauterize the roots. I don't advertise this method because if carried out properly it could put most tree root based drain cleaning companies out of business. You have to know how to do it properly or it just wont work. We carried out many tests using this method 10 years ago and wiped the project when we found how successful it was for the customer and how damaging it would become for business. We like to visit our customers every year!
                          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

bill #3 sounds like a high temperature jetting. what temperature and for how long do you expose the roots for? how far will it kill?

thanks, rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

There is the problem, if I tell you I'll have to kill you.....pm me.
                              Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Would a "top hat" liner help at the junction ?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X