X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treating roots a different way

camered a job that i haven't been back to for 20 months. long story short, the pipe has some serious roots at a 4'' clay wye outside of the house under the front driveway in front of the brick entry.

this wye is the common connection between both sides of the house.

although the line is only 1'11'' deep, the customer doesn't want to cut and scar the concrete to repair or replace the fitting. lining is out of the question as it's an active wye from both inlets.

so my question is do you think i can snake/ jet the line to clean it and then drill 1/2'' holes through the concrete down into the soil to apply root-x or copper sulfate to kill off the roots from getting into the wye?

i can apply the chemical and either seal the holes or cork them for future applications.

any thoughts

dan, will it work

i'll try to post the internal photos of the wye later. but for now just the surface photos.

rick.

yellow marker is the center of the wye. and the red markers are the path.

as you can see, this is right at her front entry to the house.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: treating roots a different way

Rick on My own home after excavation repair [ 4 ' of ABS w/ 2 couplings] I ran 3/4' pvc sitting on bands to garden surface. Once a year I send down copper sulfate hot tea. No roots
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Are you trying to set us up like these newbies that come on here?

What are you leaving out?

You cannot get root-x down the other branch of the wye?

What?

WHAT!!!!

Happy Sunday Buddy

Comment

of course i can get rootx down from the toilet. but what i also want to do is kill the roots from the outside of the pipe.

tool, you have a good system, but i doubt she will go with a 3/4'' pvc/ 1.125'' hole in the concrete.

do you pour the copper sulfate then add the hot water, or mix it in a bucket and pour the solution down the pipe? how many sleeves do you use?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, Root-x is supposed to leave a barrier in the pipe to prevent root regrowth, so i'm not sure what you'd gain by treating outside as well as in, put them on an annual maintenance plan with root-x and move on.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

if i can kill them off outside of the pipe, then there will be no need to treat both sides of the house.

same thing i do when i dig. i'll replace the fitting, add a c/o if need be, chop out the surrounding roots and place a mixture of copper sulfate around the repair.

rick.

remember that the roots, especially large ones will eventually displace the pipe and fitting. just had last month it break a copper water main.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I watched a video where a person premixed rootx and went through a yard following the sewer line through a bunch of trees using a yard plugger and dumping premixed rootx down the holes as a preventive treatment.

I think a few holes from a hammerdrill and you could saturate the area as a great preventative tool.

Comment

In the time it took you to post this I could have added the cleanout, backfilled and patched it perfect

What are you waiting on?.....it's only 2 friggin' feet deep!

You done yet?

Comment

bill, i surgically sawcut the concrete with no over cuts

problem is there is no way to match the concrete color or finish that's right in front of her door. anywhere else it's a no brainer

even the brick would be a simple patch and fix.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Wish we could see a wider bigger picture of the landscape. Can you reroute the 2 lines to a different location? Or patch one side of the Y then the other side and cut in the first line? Or cut the patch like JR. did on that floor drain awhile back. Or cut out the concrete and tunnel to the brick spots then offer to cement paint the concrete areas?
                    Last edited by Cuda; 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      of course i can get rootx down from the toilet. but what i also want to do is kill the roots from the outside of the pipe.

tool, you have a good system, but i doubt she will go with a 3/4'' pvc/ 1.125'' hole in the concrete.

do you pour the copper sulfate then add the hot water, or mix it in a bucket and pour the solution down the pipe? how many sleeves do you use?

rick.
                      One per band
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I seen a video where a guy relined a sewer right past the wyes and other branch lines. Then they took a rodder with a carbide bit and rodded from the branch line to reinstate the line.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

And if one of the lines went to a neighbor they have those pass through patch bladders to keep the line active if needed.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            I seen a video where a guy relined a sewer right past the wyes and other branch lines. Then they took a rodder with a carbide bit and rodded from the branch line to reinstate the line.

problem is the underside of the house is all 3''. the clay is 4''. i don't think they make a robotic cutter that can access a 3' line with bends and cut out a 4'' opening.

i can easily jet out the clay and restore the line to full opening. what i'm trying to do is kill off the roots outside of the pipe. if i kill the roots, then there will be no potential for future damage.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              problem is the underside of the house is all 3''. the clay is 4''. i don't think they make a robotic cutter that can access a 3' line with bends and cut out a 4'' opening.

i can easily jet out the clay and restore the line to full opening. what i'm trying to do is kill off the roots outside of the pipe. if i kill the roots, then there will be no potential for future damage.

rick.
                              Its not a robitic cutter, its a cutter that you put on your 7/8" K-60 cable and you use it to cut out the liner from the branch line.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                              X