X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLUMBER RICK
    started a topic treating roots a different way

treating roots a different way

camered a job that i haven't been back to for 20 months. long story short, the pipe has some serious roots at a 4'' clay wye outside of the house under the front driveway in front of the brick entry.

this wye is the common connection between both sides of the house.

although the line is only 1'11'' deep, the customer doesn't want to cut and scar the concrete to repair or replace the fitting. lining is out of the question as it's an active wye from both inlets.

so my question is do you think i can snake/ jet the line to clean it and then drill 1/2'' holes through the concrete down into the soil to apply root-x or copper sulfate to kill off the roots from getting into the wye?

i can apply the chemical and either seal the holes or cork them for future applications.

any thoughts

dan, will it work

i'll try to post the internal photos of the wye later. but for now just the surface photos.

rick.

yellow marker is the center of the wye. and the red markers are the path.

as you can see, this is right at her front entry to the house.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 09-12-2010, 10:21 AM.

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied
    Re: treating roots a different way

i'm going there saturday to jet the 3'' -4'' lines and the 6'' main out to the street.

wasn't planning on rootx in the soil. i was planning to use copper sulfate hot juice

rick.

Leave a comment:

• OkieBill
    replied

Rick, Dan just sent me a case of RootX and while I was reading the label on one of the 2 Lb jars it was kind enough to inform me that it is illegal to apply RootX directly to the soil in California

Now what???

Leave a comment:

• saysflushable
    replied

I think it's a good idea Rick and worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• DanLawrence
    replied

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
    the roundup is interesting, but does it require sunlight to work

rick.

Roundup needs to contact green leaves to work[/QUOTE]

Some herbicides do require photosynthesis to work properly. The plant must be absorbing sunlight in order to absorb the chemical as well. Obviously RootX is not one of them.

Rick, I would just go with a yearly RootX application it's quick and simple.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

those are great for the city connection at the saddle. 6'' x 8'' wye. i don't think this will work on the 4'' wye as it would still need to be lined from the branch wye and the run. unless they can install and reinstate from a 3'' opening 37' away, it wouldn't be accessible.

so far the least complicated and least expensive option is to jet the wye clean and drill the concrete to add root killer. a couple 1/2'' holes and my pressure probe with 90 degree nozzle will allow me to shoot the juice every direction around the fitting.

i'll be going there thursday to discuss it with the owner.

welcome to the forum uk

rick.

Leave a comment:

• Winky UK
    replied

Would a "top hat" liner help at the junction ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bill2601
    replied

There is the problem, if I tell you I'll have to kill you.....pm me.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

bill #3 sounds like a high temperature jetting. what temperature and for how long do you expose the roots for? how far will it kill?

thanks, rick.

Leave a comment:

• bill2601
    replied

Here is what I would consider doing....

1) Cut out all the tree roots with a Root Ranger, of course, and inspect with a Ridgid mini SeeSnake Camera then return in 6 weeks when the fine white tails roots start growing. This is when the roots are most vunerable. Pump Zero (root killer/herbicide) with a foaming agent down drain. This will kill every tree that is feeding from the drain. Illegal, but it works.

2) Same as option 1 but use a good root foam product. Must be carried out annually. This will kill the roots inside the pipe and 1" outside the pipe. We maintain over 500 properties annually with this product and have a 99% success rate.

3) Cauterize the roots. I don't advertise this method because if carried out properly it could put most tree root based drain cleaning companies out of business. You have to know how to do it properly or it just wont work. We carried out many tests using this method 10 years ago and wiped the project when we found how successful it was for the customer and how damaging it would become for business. We like to visit our customers every year!

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

4'' is 3.5'' too much i know i can bore with my water probe 5' deep. as this is my tool i use to soften when i pipe burst. the 1/2'' hole will allow me to inject copper sulfate premixed with hot water into the soil on and around the wye. i will either pour the copper sulfate in dry and add the hot water or pump it in under pressure.

then i'll either seal the holes with a cork or pour stone. the cork will allow me to add more later, the pour stone will be a 1 shot deal.

rick.

Leave a comment:

• waytay
    replied

Here Is my Idea Rick. Core a 4" hole thru concrete, use shop vac or something similar to remove soil till close to the pipe then put what ever soup of arbor killing concauction you can make up, Then fill with silica sand and re-camera in 1 year??

Like they say just do it!

Leave a comment:

• geno gardner
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    bill, i surgically sawcut the concrete with no over cuts

problem is there is no way to match the concrete color or finish that's right in front of her door. anywhere else it's a no brainer

even the brick would be a simple patch and fix.

rick.
    Rick why don't you take your tunneling jetter rig and hit this baby from the side. Jet yourself a nice little hole over to the sewer, deposit a load of copper sulfate, then back out. You could leave a pipe in the tunnel you jet to allow future chemical deposits, plus that pipe/sleeve will help keep the sidewalk / bricks from settling.

Leave a comment:

• DELCASE
    replied

the roundup is interesting, but does it require sunlight to work

rick.[/QUOTE]

Roundup needs to contact green leaves to work

Leave a comment:

• BobsPlumbing
    replied

Take the brick centerpiece out. Then undermine over to the WYE. Physically remove whatever you can. Apply whatever treatment you want.

You could make a 3/4" copper treatment tube just as tooly-tool suggests and bring it up from the WYE to under the brick ledge. Flush or just above, female adapter, brass plug.

J.C.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X