X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably dumb question...

Just got a k-39af. I've used cheap snakes and hated them for years. Tried one of the Ridgid electric drill powered snakes, still sucks. Saw the k-39 at Home Depot, said that's for me, but the price was out of reach. Eventually got an open box unit off of ebay within my budget. I'm retired, just have to snake out my drains once in a while. Don't like paying Roto Rooter to do it.

So, my question is, how do you tell when you're near the end of the cable? I painted the last 5 feet of the last one I had, but the paint eventually got too hard to see. Go figure.

Appreciate any comments.

BTW, it was the comments of you guys on this forum that finally decided me on getting the k-39.

Re: Probably dumb question...

I know when I am at the end when I pull the cable out of the drum. Other than that, it never really mattered to me if I accdently pulled it all out.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Wow! Guess with the k-39 I'm in another league. With the cheap crap I've been (trying) to use, getting the cable back into the drum right was always a challenge, so I didn't like to let it get out.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

rule of thumb is the 25' cable will auto feed approx. 18'. at that point you will hear the cable slipping in the drum.

very important since your cable get used once in a blue moon. remove the cable and wash it off or shake and dry. then oil it and store it outside the drum. if the inner drum is wet, loosen the 4 screws and drain and dry. your cables will last a lifetime following this rule

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

On all 3 of my K-39AF's it will feed out about 21 feet (unless under a load) then it will start slipping, making a clicking noise. I then pull out the remaining 3 feet by hand to confirm I'm at the end. Shove it back in by hand about 5 feet and I'm good to go.

Comment

I know I am near the end by how heavy it feels. I know it's not exact but it works for me.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              very important since your cable get used once in a blue moon. remove the cable and wash it off or shake and dry. then oil it and store it outside the drum. if the inner drum is wet, loosen the 4 screws and drain and dry. your cables will last a lifetime following this rule

rick.
              I always wondered about this. How do you oil the snake? Would it work to coil it back up in the drum, then take out the inner drum and poor oil in it then back out?

Thanks for the good comments, really appreciate.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dabird View Post
                I always wondered about this. How do you oil the snake? Would it work to coil it back up in the drum, then take out the inner drum and poor oil in it then back out?

Dave

I crack mine open with the 4 screws and spray some WD-40 in the inner drum. Put back together and run for several seconds to help distribute the oil.

Comment

best bet it to pull out the cable and oil it. don't reinstall until you're ready to use it. nobody wants a rusty cruddy cable. by following this advise, it will keep that snake and cable brand new

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by dabird View Post

Dave
                    Dave I have been doing plumbing 12 years always had a pistal rod always had a problem with rusty crudy cables take ricks advise I allways remove my cable now and oil it and let it hang on back window of van when I need it I load it in nice and clean take one minute and no more rusty crudy cable cuse I listed to ricks advise a wile back
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      best bet it to pull out the cable and oil it. don't reinstall until you're ready to use it. nobody wants a rusty cruddy cable. by following this advise, it will keep that snake and cable brand new

rick.
                      Now come on Rick their is nothing funnier than the spray from a rusty crudy cable spinning from a K-39 while cleaning a basin throwing its contents all over the place and the look of horror on the clients face and knowing that they will never forget you and you will be a talking point with all their friends and knowing that you won't have to worry about that blocked basin ever again.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                        Dave I have been doing plumbing 12 years always had a pistal rod always had a problem with rusty crudy cables take ricks advise I allways remove my cable now and oil it and let it hang on back window of van when I need it I load it in nice and clean take one minute and no more rusty crudy cable cuse I listed to ricks advise a wile back

Yes, great advise. I overlooked the fact that you will only be using this a few times a year. I use my K-39AF at least once every day so I only take my cable out once a week unless I hit a nasty job. I clean the whole gun then spray the WD-40 in the drum on a clean cable.

Comment

tony, when i see it start to drip, i know it's time to break it down. but it takes time to get water in the drum as i tend to dry the cables on the way in. i also hold the drum up against my shirt to wipe any splash before it get airborne never had a shirt wrap around the drum although it would be funny if i cleaned the drain and walked out of the bathroom with no shirt you know they would have me cleaning all their drains

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X