jetter hose max gpm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: jetter hose max gpm

14gpm 4kpsi on 250ft 1/2 hose equals 325psi loss per us jett chart I get the same, 325
    12gpm 4kpsi on 250ft 3/8 hose equals 1000psi loss per us jett chart agree
    1/2 warthog on 250ft 1/2 hose has 51450 units of cleaning power. 14x3675 I've never understood what cleaning power units are... it strikes me as more marketing than science
    3/8 warthog on 250ft 3/8 hose has 36000 units of cleaning power 12x3000
    Since the 3/8 warthog has a max of 12gpm I used 12 instead of 14.
    So that's 15450 more cleaning units, is that a substantial amount per jetting industry. I think the bigger setup will clean bigger lines better than the smaller, but you have to think about what you want to do with it. 1/2" hose is stout stuff and you are not going to get it around many bends in 4", which is mostly what I see... if you are doing city mains and culverts and such...great!
    Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
      Another calculation,,,,,,,
      14gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1500psi loss
      12gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1000psi loss
      So with a 4kpsi pump the cleaning units shake out this way according to us jett chart.
      14x2500= 35000 units
      12x3000= 36000 units
      Are these correct and what does this mean?
      That if you wanted to use 3/8 hose, 12gpm is better than 14gpm,,,,???
      again, I have no idea what 'cleaning power units' are. It strikes me as made up pseudo-science / marketing babble. you can pretty easily try it both ways... with a 14 gpm machine just reduce rpm a little to get 12 gpm instead, and get smaller inserts for the nozzle if you are not making full 4kpsi.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        14gpm 4kpsi on 250ft 1/2 hose equals 325psi loss per us jett chart I get the same, 325
        12gpm 4kpsi on 250ft 3/8 hose equals 1000psi loss per us jett chart agree
        1/2 warthog on 250ft 1/2 hose has 51450 units of cleaning power. 14x3675 I've never understood what cleaning power units are... it strikes me as more marketing than science
        3/8 warthog on 250ft 3/8 hose has 36000 units of cleaning power 12x3000
        Since the 3/8 warthog has a max of 12gpm I used 12 instead of 14.
        So that's 15450 more cleaning units, is that a substantial amount per jetting industry. I think the bigger setup will clean bigger lines better than the smaller, but you have to think about what you want to do with it. 1/2" hose is stout stuff and you are not going to get it around many bends in 4", which is mostly what I see... if you are doing city mains and culverts and such...great!
        Thanks ace
        I read about the cleaning unit phrase early in my research before I bought first jetter.
        Many bends? Then several bends? Because several is less than many but more than a few.
        The bigger will clean better for sure BUT will it be substantial in my example.

And what you think about my next post that NOBODY has commented on that I thought was insightful.,,

Another calculation,,,,,,,
        14gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1500psi loss
        12gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1000psi loss
        So with a 4kpsi pump the cleaning units shake out this way according to us jett chart.
        14x2500= 35000 units
        12x3000= 36000 units
        Are these correct and what does this mean?
        That if you wanted to use 3/8 hose, 12gpm is better than 14gpm,,,,?

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
          Many bends? Then several bends? Because several is less than many but more than a few.
          I was purposely vague there because, really, I'm talking at least half out my butt. I don't have anything big enough to need 1/2" hose and I have no experience using it. for all I know it'd be fine, but I doubt it. Others with more experience please chime in.

I stick with 1/4" because it works well for me. I do a lot of lines with a lot of bends and, while the gpm avail with a bigger setup would be nice, I don't think I'd ever get it to the problem half the time. and I'd need a tank, etc etc. a 5.5 gpm cart jetter with 1/4" hose is perfect for me, but other people in other places do other things in other ways, often for good reason.

Comment

1/2" can make bends but if you are in a basement and not an outside cleanout the 3/8 is probably a better choice. One thing you can do with the 1/2" that you can't with the smaller hoses is you can push it and twist it because it is so stiff. I try to use 1/2" o
            all the time just because I don't like having to go get the 3/8 reel lol. Good to see you Ace!
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I also think that 12 GPM is one of the hardest sizes to work with jetter wise as it is a little too much for 3/8 and a little low for 1/2" I would rather have 8 GPM and 4k or 5k psi for a good flow and hi psi for roots.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks ace and cuda,
                Cuda, why would 12gpm be a little low for 1/2, isn't flow flow? Or is it hey if you got 1/2 use it to more of its capabilities? And why not 10gpm instead of 8gpm. The chain flashing nozzle I heard so far doesn't work great until 11gpm.
                My machine 6gpm 4kpsi works very well until it hits the fan. Like 5ft solid root impaction. And or tough when I'm out 120ft ish and working 4 bad joints out the street in 3 bends after I already have made a few bends. I pull back on the camera, hit with root ranger, and if I'm in an aggressive drop, going through bends, it ain't a piece of cake. I want my cake and want to eat it too when it comes to jetting.

I want to kick but with a warthog and a chain flinging nozzle.
                If you had a 14 GPM 4k psi machine and had mostly 4 inch lines going to 6 inch approx 20 ft before city tie in. What hoses and nozzles would you jet with. This knowing you will hit 4-7 ish bends on a regular basis.Thank you very much for your time.
                Last edited by theplungerman; 03-18-2013, 02:17 AM.

Comment

1/2" hose is pretty stiff. But what's worse are the connectors. My orange 10' safety leader connecting to my red jetting hose is a fip x mip connector that's stiff. Sometimes i need to remove my leader. Other times shut the flow, let the hose relax and then rotate or pull.

3/8" is plenty for 4" and 6". So my 1/2" hose doesn't get as much use as my 3/8" hose does.

My first trailer had 2500 psi at 11 gpm. Came with 1/2" hose. I also installed 3/8" and 1/4" reels.

My current jetter 4000 psi at 18 gpm also came with 1/2" hose. I also installed a 3/8" and 1/4" hose reels.

Just like a snake cable and cutters, you need to chose your hose and nozzles. Except with a jetter, there are much more nozzle combinations with much greater expense.

Welcome to the world of jetting.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    again, I have no idea what 'cleaning power units' are. It strikes me as made up pseudo-science / marketing babble. you can pretty easily try it both ways... with a 14 gpm machine just reduce rpm a little to get 12 gpm instead, and get smaller inserts for the nozzle if you are not making full 4kpsi.
                    thanks ace,,,,
                    Fyi,,,, I Googled cleaning units last night and got several hits from pressure washing sellers toting it as a plus. But no hits from jetter sellers.
                    So with a 14gpm machine can you throttle down to 10-12gpm,put in smaller inserts and get your psi back up to the pumps maximum. Thanks again.

Comment

do that all the time with my 18gpm machine. i go as low as 3gpm with my 3/16'' micro hose. i can only throttle down so far and then i open up my bypass needle valve. this way my unloader is not bypassing.

bringing my trailer for 3/16'' hose is like calling the fire dept for a trash can fire. but i typically do more than just the little 1.5'' line with it.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

So Yes?
                        You can throttle down to lower gpm output, have appropriate nozzle to create back pressure, and get your pumps rated psi throughout the gpm range?? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X