X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetter hose max gpm

Does anyone know what the maximum gpm thru a jetter hose is? I just purchased 100' of 1/8" jetter hose and the nozzle was bored out to accept 4 gpm. It didnt seem to have enough pull or pressure at the nozzle and i am beginning to think that the max an 1/8" hose will let out is like 2 gpm. With just one engine running on my jetter it produces 8gpm @4000 psi. I know alot of the water is being dumped back to the tank but how much is going thru to the tip.
    If any one knows what the max would be for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"?

Re: jetter hose max gpm

1/8'' is good for approx 2 gpm. and will have approx 6-7 psi drop per foot.

you would be better off with 3/16''- 1/4'' hose. you're bypassing way too much water and loosing too much psi.

1/4'' is a 6-8 gpm with a 3 psi per foot loss

3/8'' - is 7-10 gpm with a 2 psi loss per foot

1/2'' is 10-18 gpm with 1.5 psi loss per foot.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick. I know I am losing alot of psi and gpm but I want to be able to use this set up to open up lines with 2" p-traps. I think if I get a 2 gpm nozzle it will give it some more psi and pull. What type of nozzle should I get.

Comment

traps are always a challenge.

i would use all reverse nozzles at 25 degrees. this gives it the most thrust/ pulling power. i've also had good luck with a small spring leader on the end. helps it get around the tight bends.

but the most important trick is a good foot pedal to allow you to control the flow and jolt it. a quick on/ off will make that hose jump better than a pulse valve.

of course a good slick hose is a key feature too.

if the trap is totally plugged and water will just make a mess, open it up first with a cable/ k39-45 or the k-50

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

On the line i have been working on i actually used my K60 with 7/8 thru the trap and the line still did not open up. I was called out by another drain cleaning company that uses me for jetting and he wanted me to jet. I told him i could try my K60 thru the 2" trap to open it and then jet. He didnt think i could get it thru the trap but it will go with a spring leader. He was impressed i got it thru and out 60' but i wasnt inpressed the line didnt open. I ordered some 3/16 hose and nozzle the other day and i will try that.

Comment

Rick's pressure loss numbers are a little light.

Here http://www.sewerjetgazette.net/categ...r-jetter-tech/ is a good article on the topic. scroll down and look at the table. My experience (ballpark) matches their numbers, at least with 1/4" at ~5.5 gpm. Maybe twice the p loss of Rick's 3psi/ft.

look at the trend in the table... as you increase flow in a hose, you hit a point where psi loss/ft goes up dramatically. it's only so many psi/ft at a given flow; up the flow and it's more psi/ft, up it a lot and the psi to do it is off the chart. look at 1/8"; at 4000 psi you are using it all to get 2gpm through 100'.

try 3/16 id hose. I recommend exitflex, the stuff I like is (i think) called dp 1.3 Harben and us jetting both sell it. Harben calls it 'micro mini'.

I like aquamole for nozzles
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

my numbers were taken directly from an all day u.s. jetting class i took about a month ago. these numbers were presented to us by the v.p of the company. maybe they are generic numbers, maybe they are from their own test? but i made it a point to copy down the charts they displayed in their power point presentation.

i'll have to call them and ask for a clarification based on the table you linked.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by batson View Post
                Does anyone know what the maximum gpm thru a jetter hose is? I just purchased 100' of 1/8" jetter hose and the nozzle was bored out to accept 4 gpm. It didnt seem to have enough pull or pressure at the nozzle and i am beginning to think that the max an 1/8" hose will let out is like 2 gpm. With just one engine running on my jetter it produces 8gpm @4000 psi. I know alot of the water is being dumped back to the tank but how much is going thru to the tip.
                If any one knows what the max would be for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"?
                I want to resurrect this thread.
                I researched and found Rick's answers in line with piranha, Parker, and us Jett.
                My question is,, from the chart at us Jett it says (from what I gather) in 3/8 you can run more than 10,15,20 gpm, but what happens is a significant pressure loss the higher gpm. I also read a post in another forum,,, that when he trys to push more than 15gpm in his 3/8 he pops hoses and fittings. This pic is from us Jett regarding flow and gpm with pressure loss.
                I want to know what's really going on. Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

,,,,answers to my question,, I need to know max gpm flow through a 3/8 and 1/2 inch line respectfully at 4kpsi.
                  Thanks for your time.

jetter depot
                  12 gpm - 3/8"
                  20 gpm - 1/2" *most industry manufacturers do 18 gpm.

piranha
                  Robert,
                  In a perfect world:
                  3/8” would be around 10
                  ½” at 20-25

Comment

ok here we go, put on yr math hat and warm up yr calculator.

lets say you have 4kpsi capacity at the pump manifold.
                    and you dont want to quite max it out so lets run at 3800 psi
                    and, for arguments sake, that you want 2kpsi left at the end of the hose for the nozzle to do good things with.

that means you can lose (3800-2000=) 1800psi in getting the water through the hose to your nozzle.

now you need to decide how long a hose you need, because the longer the hose, the more pressure you will lose pushing water through it.

lets say you want 300' of hose.
                    that means you can lose (1800/300=) 6 psi/ft of hose

now you look at the chart and see what size hose you need to push however much water you want at 6 psi/ft.

that chart looks a little off compared to real world. might be for these guys hose, and others are different.

it predicts 3kpsi for what I know is 2kpsi. (350' of 1/4" at 5.5gpm)

shows 4 gpm for 1800 psi drop in 300' of 1/4"... that is light. I push more for less than that thru 1/4"

and it shows the other way for larger hose; from chart 1800 psi drop in 300' of 3/8 = 14gpm, and ~28 gpm for 300' of 1/2"
                    I dont use bigger machines or bigger hose, but from what rick is saying he's seen this is a lot of flow for 3/8 and 1/2 hose.

I'd not trust that chart too much. look around for some others and if you need help figuring them out post and I'll help.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks ace, I appreciate that very much.
                      I was wondering what would happen if a pump was pushing 14gpm at 4kpsi through a 200ft 3/8 hose and or through 100ft first in half then 100 or 150ft in 3/8.
                      The chart says it will push it through 3/8, but after 10ish gpm the pressure drop per ft gets significant.
                      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by theplungerman View Post
                        Thanks ace, I appreciate that very much.
                        I was wondering what would happen if a pump was pushing 14gpm at 4kpsi through a 200ft 3/8 hose and or through 100ft first in half then 100 or 150ft in 3/8.
                        The chart says it will push it through 3/8, but after 10ish gpm the pressure drop per ft gets significant.
                        Thanks

well...that's not well phrased wondering...it kind of shows that you've not quite wrapped your head around how it works.

I'm gonna bold this; it's the key to understanding this stuff;

The pump does NOT create pressure. REALLY. The pump makes FLOW. The pressure comes from resistance to that flow.

pump pushes (whatever) gpm thru (however many) feet of (whatever size) hose = (how much) psi required? is a well phrased question.
                        to say it like you did, well, you've got all the variables AND the answer in your question...

do it like this;

how much psi do I have to work with? (for you, 4000)
                        how much do I want left for the nozzle? (2000 is a pretty good number, at least for what I do with 1/4" hose, others can comment)
                        subtract the second from the first; that is how much you can use up in pushing the water through the hose

now, how much hose do you need?
                        divide psi by ft = how much psi/ft you can lose in the hose

now look at chart. start from left side, find yr psi/ft, now look at yr gpm, go up from gpm and across from psi/ft to where they meet. pick the next size hose whose red line is under your meeting place; thats how big of hose you need.

so, 14 gpm thru 3/8", if we believe the chart you found, takes about 6 psi/ft
                        and 14 gpm thru 1/2" takes about 1.3 psi/ft

so 14gpm thru 200' of 3/8" takes 1200 psi
                        14 gpm thru 100' of 1/2" takes 130 psi
                        14 gpm thru 100' of 3/8" takes 600 psi
                        14 gpm thry 150' of 3/8" takes 900 psi

so 200' 3/8" = 1200
                        100' 1/2 + 100' 3/8 = 730
                        100' 1/2 + 150' 3/8 = 1030

thats if we believe that chart, which looks a little optimistic to me in the 3/8 and 1/2

edit, but this one looks about the same http://www.dultmeier.com/pdfs/tech-library/02Water8.pdf

these charts are also only good for a specific temp of water; its viscosity changes significantly with temp. you will move more hot water for less psi loss compared to cold water.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 03-15-2013, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Awesome thanks ace!!!
                          The reason I was wondering is because in the future I want a machine that will give me at least 3kpsi at the end of a 3/8 hose pushing a minimum of 12gpm, though 14 would be my goal . I at the moment do not have said machine. For my neck of the woods 150ft has always been enough so I bumped it up to 200 for fun.
                          There is a chain flailing nozzel I have my sights on, along with 12gpm warthog. Later on in the scenario maybe could add 1/2 warthog to 200 ft of 1/2 hose for more pop.

(Which makes me wonder lol,, how much more jetting power would a 1/2 warthog be on a 14gpm machine through 250ft 1/2 hose vs a 3/8 warthog 3/8 hose same length.) I'm gonna work on that answer right now.

So according to you and the chart. I have my desired answer, which is yes.
                          Thank you very much ace.

Comment

1/2 warthog vs 3/8 warthog on respective hoses question.

14gpm 4kpsi on 250ft 1/2 hose equals 325psi loss per us jett chart
                            12gpm 4kpsi on 250ft 3/8 hose equals 1000psi loss per us jett chart
                            1/2 warthog on 250ft 1/2 hose has 51450 units of cleaning power. 14x3675
                            3/8 warthog on 250ft 3/8 hose has 36000 units of cleaning power 12x3000
                            Since the 3/8 warthog has a max of 12gpm I used 12 instead of 14.
                            So that's 15450 more cleaning units, is that a substantial amount per jetting industry.
                            Last edited by theplungerman; 03-15-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Another calculation,,,,,,,
                              14gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1500psi loss
                              12gpm thru 250 3/8 hose = 1000psi loss
                              So with a 4kpsi pump the cleaning units shake out this way according to us jett chart.
                              14x2500= 35000 units
                              12x3000= 36000 units
                              Are these correct and what does this mean?
                              That if you wanted to use 3/8 hose, 12gpm is better than 14gpm,,,,???

Comment

Working...
                              X