X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratz's Mistake - Experience Matters

Why not have one on both? Don't even mess with the installed one.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Why not have one on both? Don't even mess with the installed one.

J.C.
      No need on the storm line since the only thing draining in it is the old downspouts and the drain tiles outside the house. Also the valve and all the piping would cost me over $800 Where moving the one it will only cost me a few hundred in the repair parts and such. The sanitary line is in the same trench as the storm line so I will be digging it up anyways.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        No need on the storm line since the only thing draining in it is the old downspouts and the drain tiles outside the house. Also the valve and all the piping would cost me over $800 Where moving the one it will only cost me a few hundred in the repair parts and such. The sanitary line is in the same trench as the storm line so I will be digging it up anyways.
        Ron, I have zero doubt you know what you're doing. I have to ask though, for two cleanouts, a Clean Check, and associated pipe and fittings....$800.00?

I might start shipping to you.

J.C.

Comment

Ron, I have zero doubt you know what you're doing. I have to ask though, for two cleanouts, a Clean Check, and associated pipe and fittings....$800.00?

I might start shipping to you.

J.C.
          Here is the parts break down.
          1. 6" Clean Check Assembly
          2. two 6" clean out tees
          3. two 6" female adapters with plugs
          4. two 6" clay by 6" plastic no-Shear couplings
          5. 20' 6" SCH 40 PVC
          6. 10' 8" SCH 40 PVC
          7. 8" Female Adapter with plug
          8. 10' 4" SCH 40 PVC
          Now when you add all that up it comes out just over $800 The Clean Check by itself is around $380 or so.

Comment

Here is the parts break down.
            1. 6" Clean Check Assembly
            2. two 6" clean out tees
            3. two 6" female adapters with plugs
            4. two 6" clay by 6" plastic no-Shear couplings
            5. 20' 6" SCH 40 PVC
            6. 10' 8" SCH 40 PVC
            7. 8" Female Adapter with plug
            8. 10' 4" SCH 40 PVC
            Now when you add all that up it comes out just over $800 The Clean Check by itself is around $380 or so.
            Thanks Ron. I knew you knew. All of our residences here would have 4". Makes a difference.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks Ron. I knew you knew. All of our residences here would have 4". Makes a difference.

J.C.
              Yep big difference in price of fittings when you go from 4" to 6" and that 10' stick of 8" pipe is not very cheap.

Comment

Ron,

My opinion and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee at mcDonald's, but I applaud your standing behind your work! Good man.

One of these days when I get down Chicago town way it'll be my honor to buy you a monster pizza with all the fixings. This is a promise you can take that to the pizza parlour.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Ron,

Is this a valve only without a pump? If so, doesn't one have to be careful not to use water in the house during flood conditions?

Hope this isn't a stupid question!

Thanks,

Vern

Comment

Originally posted by Vern View Post
                    Ron,

Is this a valve only without a pump? If so, doesn't one have to be careful not to use water in the house during flood conditions?

Hope this isn't a stupid question!

Thanks,

Vern
                    not a stupid question but yes the clean check is only a valve and they do have to be careful of water useage during heavy rainfall
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Is the sanitary sewer deeper than the storm drain? If so, I would require the homeowner to pay for the extra labor it would've originally taken to access this pipe. And if the storm sewer has to come out in order to get to the sanitary sewer that should be the homeowners dime too, not to mention the extra cleanout which the inspector is now requiring.

And just a question, if the inspector doesn't like what the other contractor is installing why the heck is he allowing it?
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I am still in awe about this. All the neighboring villages have combination storm and waste sewers. Most of them you rod from the front downspout to open the main line. But not this town they had their head screwed on straight when they first built out this area. But what good has it done for them during the big rains they had 1000's of homes, streets parking lots all flooded.

That sucks Ron!

Smells like Westchester? Perhaps I'm wrong, but Westchester has a similar situation.

I live in that town. July 23 was a disaster. Same storm Post Plumber put up pictures of recently.

Most of westchester has seperate storm and sanitary. There are a LOT of complicating factors that still lead to sewer backup in severe storms

About 3 out of every 10 houses in town have a backwater valve, flood control system, or residential lift station (like the Tramco unit that I have referenced). My customers with the Lift Stations did not get water. Many other homes have had overhead sewer conversions too.

In the land of Combined Sewers (and sometimes kind of combined) flooding can be a regular happening.

Let me know if there's something I can help you with

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                          Is the sanitary sewer deeper than the storm drain? If so, I would require the homeowner to pay for the extra labor it would've originally taken to access this pipe. And if the storm sewer has to come out in order to get to the sanitary sewer that should be the homeowners dime too, not to mention the extra cleanout which the inspector is now requiring.

And just a question, if the inspector doesn't like what the other contractor is installing why the heck is he allowing it?
                          That's an excellent question Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post

Well the plumbing inspector just got back from what I understand. And he is not all to happy about these other duckbill valves installed in the manholes. Just the block I am on this contractor has installed 6 of them at 11k a pop.. I do not get that much to install the clean check of course, but not even that much for the Tramco lift station. I put out 100's of estimates in this town and did not get a single job. Seems like this other contractor has better salesmen than I do.

As for getting a raise, I was originally contracted to dig the depth needed to install the valve, It can not be much deeper. I think it might be about 8" to the left of the storm sewer as well and no more than a foot deeper than I dug last year. I do not mind doing this on my own dime. In the 20+ years I been doing this work, this is the first time I made a mistake like this.

Comment

Well the plumbing inspector just got back from what I understand. And he is not all to happy about these other duckbill valves installed in the manholes. Just the block I am on this contractor has installed 6 of them at 11k a pop.. I do not get that much to install the clean check of course, but not even that much for the Tramco lift station. I put out 100's of estimates in this town and did not get a single job. Seems like this other contractor has better salesmen than I do.

As for getting a raise, I was originally contracted to dig the depth needed to install the valve, It can not be much deeper. I think it might be about 8" to the left of the storm sewer as well and no more than a foot deeper than I dug last year. I do not mind doing this on my own dime. In the 20+ years I been doing this work, this is the first time I made a mistake like this.
                              Well, I gotta admit. When I make a mistake (they are legion), it feels good to do a little penance.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

thanks Ron
                                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                                X