Ratz's Mistake - Experience Matters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratz's Mistake - Experience Matters

Well I am not to big of myself not to admit I made a mistake. About a year and half ago I had a home owner call me about their backwater valve in the basement has failed and needs to be replaced or some sort of new flood control system installed. I looked things over located the sewer line, and water line since they both are in the same trench. We installed the Clean Check backwater valve into the 6" clay sewer. The job was inspected and passed, we then backfilled the hole and that was the end.... So I thought.

Back during these big rains the new owner of this home said she got my # from the previous owner which told her I installed the Clean Check backwater valve. That during the last rain she got water. I went out there and check on the Clean Check, it was in working order. I told her I can try to investigate some more but from what I can tell the Clean Check is doing its job. Maybe the drain tiles tie into the sanitary under the house instead of the front yard like most of the homes in the neighboring suburbs have. This was back in July when we got the big rains in the area. I have not heard from her since.

Today I get a call from the towns plumbing inspector asking to meet me on site this afternoon. He explains to me this town even though the homes are 50+ years old the down spouts ran to the storm sewer, and he feels I put the Clean Check on the storm sewer line. I was like that is imposable I located the sanitary sewer from the old back water valve and pinpointed the spot I dug. Came across 6" clay and installed the valve. That he even inspected it and passed it.

So I ran my camera back towards the house expecting to see the 4" CI x 6" clay transition and then the old broken backwater valve body in the basement. To my surprise I see a 4" pipe teeing in from the left and a 4" clay pipe in front of the camera as I pushed the camera down the 4" clay it back super clear I am in the drain tiles around the house. I was flabbergasted, I had no idea these houses had separate storm and sanitary sewers, and both happen to be in the same trench. So Monday I have to dig this sewer back up and relocate my backwater valve on to the sanitary sewer, and repair the storm line.

I am still in awe about this. All the neighboring villages have combination storm and waste sewers. Most of them you rod from the front downspout to open the main line. But not this town they had their head screwed on straight when they first built out this area. But what good has it done for them during the big rains they had 1000's of homes, streets parking lots all flooded.

So anyways, any of you all have to go back to a job and make repairs on your own dime?
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Ratz's Mistake - Experience Matters

Double the trouble for every one involved

Comment

The inspector took me along the block showing me a flood control system some contractor was installing after the rains. He was getting 11K a pop to install a manhole and put on this rubber sock type device on the house side sewer line. The sock opens when water is ran from the house. Closes when no water is ran and is forced shut during city sewer back ups. He was telling me how this guy was putting these in with out any sort of clean out, and wondered how would someone clean the sewer with out tearing up the rubber sock.

When I am out Monday fixing my mistake, I will take pictures of this other system. Sounds like the inspector is unhappy with it. This whole subdivision was underwater during them big rains.
      Ron's Facebook

Comment

Is this what he is installing:

http://www.procoproducts.com/checkvalve.html

If it is, I dont like it from a contractor or an engineers standpoint

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Is this what he is installing:

http://www.procoproducts.com/checkvalve.html

If it is, I dont like it from a contractor or an engineers standpoint
          Yep thats it. I do not like them too.

I was just about to post a pic of what I found on the net.

Attached Files
          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            The inspector took me along the block showing me a flood control system some contractor was installing after the rains. He was getting 11K a pop to install a manhole and put on this rubber sock type device on the house side sewer line. The sock opens when water is ran from the house. Closes when no water is ran and is forced shut during city sewer back ups. He was telling me how this guy was putting these in with out any sort of clean out, and wondered how would someone clean the sewer with out tearing up the rubber sock.

When I am out Monday fixing my mistake, I will take pictures of this other system. Sounds like the inspector is unhappy with it. This whole subdivision was underwater during them big rains.
            That just sounds.... well, STUPID!
            Looking forward to the pics.

...and your not the only one to screw up! I'll post tomorrow about my mistake. I shot grade on a rock and not the sewer main
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yep thats it. I do not like them too.

I was just about to post a pic of what I found on the net.

WTF!!
              I that's going to become the norm I'm selling all my snake and buying drain kings, and an excavator.
              WOW, some people. It will probably work for the application it's designed for, but didn't the jacka$$ realize sewers sometimes need some maintenance?
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                WTF!!
                I that's going to become the norm I'm selling all my snake and buying drain kings, and an excavator.
                WOW, some people. It will probably work for the application it's designed for, but didn't the jacka$$ realize sewers sometimes need some maintenance?
                From what I am reading about these. They are designed for culvert drains and such to prevent backflow from the rivers they drain into. I can see this thing causing sewer back ups.
                Ron's Facebook

Comment

From what I am reading about these. They are designed for culvert drains and such to prevent backflow from the rivers they drain into. I can see this thing causing sewer back ups.
                  BIG TIME!
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well I am not to big of myself not to admit I made a mistake. About a year and half ago I had a home owner call me about their backwater valve in the basement has failed and needs to be replaced or some sort of new flood control system installed. I looked things over located the sewer line, and water line since they both are in the same trench. We installed the Clean Check backwater valve into the 6" clay sewer. The job was inspected and passed, we then backfilled the hole and that was the end.... So I thought.

Back during these big rains the new owner of this home said she got my # from the previous owner which told her I installed the Clean Check backwater valve. That during the last rain she got water. I went out there and check on the Clean Check, it was in working order. I told her I can try to investigate some more but from what I can tell the Clean Check is doing its job. Maybe the drain tiles tie into the sanitary under the house instead of the front yard like most of the homes in the neighboring suburbs have. This was back in July when we got the big rains in the area. I have not heard from her since.

Today I get a call from the towns plumbing inspector asking to meet me on site this afternoon. He explains to me this town even though the homes are 50+ years old the down spouts ran to the storm sewer, and he feels I put the Clean Check on the storm sewer line. I was like that is imposable I located the sanitary sewer from the old back water valve and pinpointed the spot I dug. Came across 6" clay and installed the valve. That he even inspected it and passed it.

So I ran my camera back towards the house expecting to see the 4" CI x 6" clay transition and then the old broken backwater valve body in the basement. To my surprise I see a 4" pipe teeing in from the left and a 4" clay pipe in front of the camera as I pushed the camera down the 4" clay it back super clear I am in the drain tiles around the house. I was flabbergasted, I had no idea these houses had separate storm and sanitary sewers, and both happen to be in the same trench. So Monday I have to dig this sewer back up and relocate my backwater valve on to the sanitary sewer, and repair the storm line.

I am still in awe about this. All the neighboring villages have combination storm and waste sewers. Most of them you rod from the front downspout to open the main line. But not this town they had their head screwed on straight when they first built out this area. But what good has it done for them during the big rains they had 1000's of homes, streets parking lots all flooded.

So anyways, any of you all have to go back to a job and make repairs on your own dime?
                    sorry to here that but what can you do if you dont mind what vilage was that so I dont make same bobo
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I am understanding you correctly right?

For the project you're talking about they are putting these in the SEWER lateral and not storm drain???

Comment

Why not have one on both?

J.C.

Comment

I am understanding you correctly right?

For the project you're talking about they are putting these in the SEWER lateral and not storm drain???

Correct they are digging up the sanitary sewer installing a manhole and putting on the duckbill check valves.

My mistake was I grabed the storm sewer thinking it was the sanitary line, not knowing these homes have seprate storm line for the drain tiles.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

My mistake was I grabed the storm sewer thinking it was the sanitary line, not knowing these homes have seprate storm line for the drain tiles.
                            Honest mistake and an easy one to make especially since it's not the norm in your area (not here either). Thats why I always taste the water just in case Taste like poop= sewer. Taste kind of like poop=might be under drain, better have another taste to be sure

Good thing about making a mistake..It's what you do after to make it right that really counts.

Comment

Good thing about making a mistake..It's what you do after to make it right that really counts.
                              Well I am making the repair on my own dime. Its going to cost me a day in labor, plus parts to repair the storm line and move the clean check to the sanitary line. The inspector and I agreed I should install a clean out before the clean check along with the one I already have installed after. You are not supposed to run the rod through the clean check. So having the one before so you can rod towards the house and one after to rod to the street. So the extra clean out, pipe and fittings are coming out of my pocket as well.
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X