X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Auger Rides Again !

Got a call from a buddy of mine last night. He changed out a wall hung to a pedestal. Ok so far so good . He tells me when he started testing the drain it started backing up. 1 1/2 " galvy. No problem I went there today with my side kick k-60 and got busy. Proceded to remove the pedestal sink.1st head was a 7/8" bulb auger . Not happening.2nd choice small 4 blade cutter head..Not happening.3rd head drop head.. Still not happening .Enough games out came the almighty reverse auger. I put that bad boy on and almost instantly down she goes. I kept working it back and forth through the wet loop about 3-4 times . I was hoping I would not have issue where it turned from the tee horizontal to go down the vertical ..No issues at all .Pulled back some hair etc. put a new galvanized nipple back on reset the pedestal . Then headed over to the tub drain . Same deal 5/8" reverse auger. Removed overflow cover plate and down she went. What a thing of beauty. I am now in the reverse auger cult .I might as well chuck the other heads in my box because here lately they can't cut it And I still haven't opened it up any since I made it or did the heat treat thing . Hey Rick , I have done some tempering in the past . When you say heat treat does that mean heat up the cable where I made the auger and quench it in oil . Will that temper / heat treat it making it stronger and less likely to break at the new cut point . Again Kudos on the reverse auger idea !
    Attached Files
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Reverse Auger Rides Again !

you have to be careful as too much hardening will make it too stiff and subject to snapping and not flexing.

i heat it orange at the tip to allow me to bend the hook out. then cool it off in oil. grind it sharp, then reheat just to a light color and let it cool. this will give it the softness/ annealing.

i believe these are the right steps. tool or bhd are probably more qualified to know better

glad you're a reverse auger believer like me and others.

now you need the real secret weapon, the 7/8'' reverse auger

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      you have to be careful as too much hardening will make it too stiff and subject to snapping and not flexing.

i heat it orange at the tip to allow me to bend the hook out. then cool it off in oil. grind it sharp, then reheat just to a light color and let it cool. this will give it the softness/ annealing.

i believe these are the right steps. tool or bhd are probably more qualified to know better

rick.
      I have one cable that a friend kinked right at the male end he felt bad cause I lent the K-60to him {yes he is a licensed plumber} to rod his house I told him dont wory he wanted to pay for cable and I said thanks but no thanks now I have my cable I can cut and turn into a reverse auger
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

rick.
        I feel Rick has it right,but will do a thread on the Hobart weld talk forum
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
          Got a call from a buddy of mine last night. He changed out a wall hung to a pedestal. Ok so far so good . He tells me when he started testing the drain it started backing up. 1 1/2 " galvy. No problem I went there today with my side kick k-60 and got busy. Proceded to remove the pedestal sink.1st head was a 7/8" bulb auger . Not happening.2nd choice small 4 blade cutter head..Not happening.3rd head drop head.. Still not happening .Enough games out came the almighty reverse auger. I put that bad boy on and almost instantly down she goes. I kept working it back and forth through the wet loop about 3-4 times . I was hoping I would not have issue where it turned from the tee horizontal to go down the vertical ..No issues at all .Pulled back some hair etc. put a new galvanized nipple back on reset the pedestal . Then headed over to the tub drain . Same deal 5/8" reverse auger. Removed overflow cover plate and down she went. What a thing of beauty. I am now in the reverse auger cult .I might as well chuck the other heads in my box because here lately they can't cut it And I still haven't opened it up any since I made it or did the heat treat thing . Hey Rick , I have done some tempering in the past . When you say heat treat does that mean heat up the cable where I made the auger and quench it in oil . Will that temper / heat treat it making it stronger and less likely to break at the new cut point . Again Kudos on the reverse auger idea !
          Go to the weld talk [ hobart] forum, I posted
          Heat treating Question under Questions,suggestions,support. { Your brothers need some help} Keep checking their site for info !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

rick.
            I am just waiting on a 7/8" cable . Then you better believe I will have one of those also
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X