Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    rotflmfao !!!

A lot to learn you have
    My learning curve is done . Thats why I use sectionals..There is one exception. I do use the drum attachment for my sectional machines. I'm not gonna I'm sure there is place for drum machines in the drain cleaning world Just not in my arsenal. So
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Pound for pound best drain machine is the 1 1/4 eel with a Timber wolf or drill set up. But you really need to know how to handle it.
      Easy to carry I have cleared Ice, cement, expander foam, critters etc,
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

there is no stopping an 1.25'' innercore cable and gear reduced 300 rpm timberwolf. it's a beast and hasn't let me down or slapped me in the head yet

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
          I'm a drum guy.... and apparently I'm part of a dying breed. I've never gotten my hands on a sectional nor have I ever seen one being used. My question is - what makes a sectional so much better? Are there any posts on the forum on sectionals that I should read? Something to teach me the ins and outs of these machines that are so foreign to me?
          Sometimes they're great. Sometimes they suck. Same as a drum. Depends on what you're doing.

J.C.

Comment

The wise plumber understands that each machine type has its place...

I happily use both drums and sectionals
            -Drums Inside
            K-38AF Drum for sinks and tubs
            K-400 Drum for kitchen sinks

-Sectionals Outside
            K-60 Sectional for Rooftop vent work (I spin 5/8" sectional for 1.5" vents)
            K-1500 Sectional for ground level carnage up to 8"

All of that being said My K-1500SP will eat a spartan 1065's lunch

Comment

I own both sectional and drum and love and use all of them they all serve there perpose yesterday when I rodded the sewer on the roof I used K-60 no way I was takeing the K-7500 up but when I have a good outside c/o K-7500 it is
              SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                Pound for pound best drain machine is the 1 1/4 eel with a Timber wolf or drill set up. But you really need to know how to handle it.
                Easy to carry I have cleared Ice, cement, expander foam, critters etc,
                When I was a third year apprentice in 1983 I recall actually taking a ride on a Black and Decker "Timberwolf" drill. I was drilling a 4-5/8" hole in a very thick floor for a water closet opening with a self feed bit and it hit a knot or became cocked and grabbed something. At the time I was mainly balancing myself over the bit center using my weight to push down (dull bit). It got caught on something and I ended up taking a ~180 degree circular ride untill I hit the framing. Thankfully I happened to let go of the trigger.

I prefer Hole Hawgs.

(speaking of which I stripped the gears out of one last week! That was a $300+ oops.) One step forward - one step back.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

with the newer 1 tooth bit, you could drill with 1 hand

i did it at the trade show and impressed them all

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    with the newer 1 tooth bit, you could drill with 1 hand

i did it at the trade show and impressed them all

rick.
                    who makes the 1 tooth bit
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

wheeler rex was the original, but lennox makes them too and milwaukee makes a 3 tooth cutter.

they work like a holesaw on steroids. easy to eject the plug and drills with very little torque to fight.

plenty of threads on the 1 tooth cutter.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I know just how much of a pain it can be carrying a heavy drum machine up stairs and that's exactly what's got me interested in sectionals. I'll be reading for a while before jumping in on that boat (funding is a bigger issue at this point, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into when the times comes to make the decision).

And that one tooth hole saw seems awesome. Can't wait to try one out for myself.
                        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I drill often. The Milwaukee 3 tooth is better than the Lenox all the way around.

I own different sizes of both.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                            I know just how much of a pain it can be carrying a heavy drum machine up stairs and that's exactly what's got me interested in sectionals.

One trip for a drum machine on wheels. How many trips does it take to hand carry the sectional machine and all the coils/sections of cable ?

Comment

One trip for a drum machine on wheels. How many trips does it take to hand carry the sectional machine and all the coils/sections of cable ?
                              Most can carry a cage of cable, the machine, a cord and a drop cloth in a single trip. Ben takes it one step further and built a dolly for his. With a dolly there really is not a limit to what you can carry.

All of our trucks had both drum and sectional machines on them. The drum can be faster but on a tough drain the sectionals do a better job. I never argued with my guys as to what machine to use as they were on site and in the best position to judge. That said, most drum guys switched to sectionals after sectionals saved their backsides a few times.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

for me, 1 trip and i carry in 90' of 7/8'', the k-60 and 50' of 12/3 extension cord.

even a ladder is not a challenge, except i put 1 down to hold on and do it in 2 trips up the ladder.

rick.

i'm on top of the world.

1 at a time. k-60 first.

90' of 7/8'' next.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-13-2010, 09:57 AM.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X