Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

Around here 90' in most cases is not enough to reach the city sewer. Also around here most of our mains are 6" just a few feet past the building foundation. From experience the 7/8" cable is a tad undersized for 100' of 6" sewer so if I was to use a sectional machine it would be the 1 1/4" cable and the K-1500 (my personal favorite machine is the K-500)

As to doing a better job than a drum, I disagree. Each machine can do an equal job. I find sectionals are good on grease and sludge blockages due to the open coils help stir up the sludge and get it moving again. For heavy tree roots, the drum is better suited since I can build up the torque needed to cut out the roots.

As I said before each machine has a time and place. It does not hurt to have both types of machines at your disposal. My preferred machine for 99% of the jobs is a drum machine. But I do have a large variety of sectionals for the 1% I need them on.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

there is nothing that comes close to the power or torque i can generate with my timberwolf and 1.25'' innercore cable. this is not a clutch drive like the 1500, but a direct drive at 300 rpm with the power to deliver.

the sectional open wind with the innercore is a spring that can bear down and build up more torque than any drum machine i own, including the 7500 and 1065 or the 1500 machine.

when the going gets tuff, the timberwolf delivers.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        there is nothing that comes close to the power or torque i can generate with my timberwolf and 1.25'' innercore cable. this is not a clutch drive like the 1500, but a direct drive at 300 rpm with the power to deliver.

the sectional open wind with the innercore is a spring that can bear down and build up more torque than any drum machine i own, including the 7500 and 1065 or the 1500 machine.

when the going gets tuff, the timberwolf delivers.

rick.
        Have you ever seen the working end of the cable when your running the drill and building up a lot off torque?

I had the camera in another line and was able to watch, pretty neat really.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

By the way, I have a Timber-wolf in a metal case around here somewhere which has been lightly used. If I can find it it may be available for sale.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Have you ever seen the working end of the cable when your running the drill and building up a lot off torque?

never with a snake. but i have with the camera and jetter looking from the front as i jetted into the stoppage. that's very impressive to watch from the dry end as you blast with the rootranger. just ask adam

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              wheeler rex was the original, but lennox makes them too and milwaukee makes a 3 tooth cutter.

they work like a holesaw on steroids. easy to eject the plug and drills with very little torque to fight.

plenty of threads on the 1 tooth cutter.

rick.
              I have several of the Milwaukee 3 tooth cutters and they are amazingly fast cutters. (on the hole hawg at 1200 RPM) Sadly, there was a hidden nail where the nail had no business being and in literally a blink of an eye the 2-9/16" 3 tooth cutter was rendered more or less useless. I'm going to see if I can get it professionally sharpened, I've tried filing by hand, and with my 4" grinder without positive effect.

That's the downside of the cutter.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                One trip for a drum machine on wheels. How many trips does it take to hand carry the sectional machine and all the coils/sections of cable ?
                I agree with you about the drum but also with sectionals If I have a short run I can grab a few sections and the drill and be out in no sweat. Having both makes your life easier. I love them both
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

That would be awesome to see. I'm quite intrigued by the timberwolf set up. UnclogNH seems to like his a lot too. Maybe it's a coastal thing, cause I've never seen anyone around me use that set up. Some guys use the Eel model C, but mostly I see it at rental shops.

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  By the way, I have a Timber-wolf in a metal case around here somewhere which has been lightly used. If I can find it it may be available for sale.

Mark
                  Let me know if you do!

-Chris

Comment

You're in good company.

I used sectionals for a couple years while working for a company before opening my own business. I found it back breaking, messy, and time consuming.

I find the drums much easier, cleaner, and quicker IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                      That would be awesome to see. I'm quite intrigued by the timberwolf set up. UnclogNH seems to like his a lot too. Maybe it's a coastal thing, cause I've never seen anyone around me use that set up. Some guys use the Eel model C, but mostly I see it at rental shops.

Let me know if you do!

-Chris
                      Once you master it you will love it.
                      I have always been a drum guy and if I knew a drain has a massive root problem or hard blockage. I grab the drill and eel set up. 16 years it has never failed me and cleared what drums could not. The cable lasts and if the drill gives out seems every three years just buy another one. it can kick root azz past 200 feet and pull itself out. with a 4 foot section I can hop a house trap in seconds. If there is a root ball coming back threw the house trap where drums get stuck. Drill and eel no problem.
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

someone say Drum Machine???????
                        Yea K-7500 baby 100%
                        My K-60 is used when we change tires on the work trucks as a jack stand
                        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                          someone say Drum Machine???????
                          Yea K-7500 baby 100%
                          My K-60 is used when we change tires on the work trucks as a jack stand
                          Aren't you supposed to be out chasing storms?
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Maybe by the end of the week some where around TX/OK but till then I`m here
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I don't like them, but that's just me and my area. We all have what we like best, but I think a whole lot of that is based on personal preference and on the area we work in. What's best for one is not best for another.

I prefer drums because:
                              - I find enclosed drums easier to keep the jobsite clean with, which is part of why
                              - I find drums to be faster
                              - I don't go on roofs; here, with our weather and typical construction, it's usually just a silly idea
                              - I don't mind stairs; my back is still strong and pain free, so it's just a little exercise, which I need anyway
                              - I jet most everything anyway so it's kind of a moot point
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                                I don't like them, but that's just me and my area. We all have what we like best, but I think a whole lot of that is based on personal preference and on the area we work in. What's best for one is not best for another.

I prefer drums because:
                                - I find enclosed drums easier to keep the jobsite clean with, which is part of why
                                - I find drums to be faster
                                - I don't go on roofs; here, with our weather and typical construction, it's usually just a silly idea
                                - I don't mind stairs; my back is still strong and pain free, so it's just a little exercise, which I need anyway
                                - I jet most everything anyway so it's kind of a moot point
                                Alex,
                                Am I wrong,or is most of your stuff plastic?

Nevada Plumber's community is mostly plastic.Last time we spoke on drain cleaning he felt at that time he could not even justify a camera because of the infrequency of needing Ultra drain equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                X