Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

I'm a drum guy.... and apparently I'm part of a dying breed. I've never gotten my hands on a sectional nor have I ever seen one being used. My question is - what makes a sectional so much better? Are there any posts on the forum on sectionals that I should read? Something to teach me the ins and outs of these machines that are so foreign to me?
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Are sectionals really all they're cracked up to be?

They have a time and place. For me its in a crawl space or a basement that I could not get my Spartan 1065 into. Other than that, I prefer my drums.

I do use a 5/8 sectional / drum machine Its the Eel Model N I did have a cable made up with a Ridgid male end on it so I can use the Ridgid K-50 cutters.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I use both but imagine a long steep narrow staircase to the basement, and you think " I can get down but up is going to suck"
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I think a lot of it depends on your area. Here an outside clean out is almost unheard of and the majority of basements I go into are in 50-100 year old homes so the stairs are narrow and weak.

I would say, off the top of my head, I could fit a decent size drum machine down maybe %50 of the homes I enter.

I don't have much experience with drum machines, I wish I did. they do look a lot more 'user friendly' but I'm thinking a sectional is a lot more versatile, especially when it comes to getting it to the work area.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Your area is just like mine Gene, The drill and eel set up works wonders in this area. K-60 would be great for the lack of head room jobs and crawl spaces. Drums are great is you have the access safe stairs sit on a bucket and go to work.
          Gene do you have any of the eel expander blades? They really do a number on the roots as a finish cleaning blade.
          Last edited by UnClogNH; 10-09-2010, 04:11 PM.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
            Your area is just like mine Gene, The drill and eel set up works wonders in this area. K-60 would be great for the lack of head room jobs and crawl spaces. Drums are great is you have the access safe stairs sit on a bucket and go to work.
            Gene do you have any of the eel expander blades? They really do a number on the roots as a finish cleaning blade.

The whole idea of sitting on a bucket VRs one section at a time is VERY appealing, but around our area we would need a gurney after getting a drum machine into most basements
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Sometimes I get lucky with bulk head access or basement with a ground level door or garage to bad it was not ground level all the time. Then I could do drains till I was 90
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Personally I have never used a drum machine. I have seen them used and thought they seemed slow, bulky , and underpowered. That being said these were rental units from home depot. So what i'm saying is if I came across the right one that seemed to fit my needs I would consider it. But for right now I am set with drain cleaning equipment. with my k-60 and k-1500
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My answer is YES!

This topic has been argued several times, just do a search on it! enough said!

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post

You sure got that right!!
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                      My answer is YES!

This topic has been argued several times, just do a search on it! enough said!
                      Yep. Sectionals have lots of cracks. At each section in fact.

Drums are better. (Let it roll, let it roll)
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

if you do a search, there are literally hundreds of different threads and photos and that's just from me

was a drummer, till i got smart. sectional for me for the last 3-4 years.

be glad to sell you every drum machine you could ever use.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by old1 View Post
                          And underpowered

rotflmfao !!!

A lot to learn you have
                          Last edited by AssTyme; 10-10-2010, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            was a drummer, till i got smart.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              if you do a search, there are literally hundreds of different threads and photos and that's just from me

was a drummer, till i got smart. sectional for me for the last 3-4 years.

be glad to sell you every drum machine you could ever use.

rick.
                              If the price is right, I may take you up on that offer. I could use something in the 100' - 5/8" range for now until I can afford a shiny new sectional.
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X