X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you SewerRatz

I went on a clogged main sewer line for a new customer today. I found his outside cleanout right near the front door, and started to shove my first section of cable down the line. About 5' into the pipe, all the water drained out!

I said no way is it that easy, and sent the camera down the line for a quick look. The line ran almost 30' before it tied into the city sewer line, and it had a massive grease buildup in it.

I showed the homeowner the monitor and told him to watch as I pulled back threw all the grease. I then told him I know a nice trick to get rid of all the grease, and taped a rag to the end of my cable. I had him run the water inside while I cabled the line.

After, I had him watch the monitor as I sent the camera back down the line. He was very impressed that there was absolutely no grease left in the line. I cleaned up, gave him the bill, and he seemed very happy to write the check knowing the job was done correctly.

Thank you for posting that tip with the rag on here. It has come in very handy on more then one occasion.

Re: Thank you SewerRatz

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post

I said no way is it that easy, and sent the camera down the line for a quick look. The line ran almost 30' before it tied into the city sewer line, and it had a massive grease buildup in it.
    Taking the extra step to make sure the job is done well provides long term benefits for both you and your increasingly large customer base.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

The Ratz rag trick has also worked for me

Comment

The rag on the end of the rod has bailed me out of many of jobs. I am heading to a job that I may end up using a rag to clear. They have sludge backing up out of every drain.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Billy Mays could've sold a million of 'em.

The
          "RAT'Z RAG"

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Billy Mays could've sold a million of 'em.

The
            "RAT'Z RAG"
            LOL
            Hi Billy Mays here with the super Rat'z Rag slap, slap down goes all the crap. Call today and I'll double your order if you order with in the next 30 minutes we will toss in the handy Rat'z Rag pocket rag for 3/8 cables at no extra charge just pay shipping
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by unclognh View Post
              lol
              hi billy mays here with the super rat'z rag slap, slap down goes all the crap. Call today and i'll double your order if you order with in the next 30 minutes we will toss in the handy rat'z rag pocket rag for 3/8 cables at no extra charge just pay shipping:d

omg ! Rotflmfao !!!

Comment

But wait theres more!
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  LOL
                  Hi Billy Mays here with the super Rat'z Rag slap, slap down goes all the crap. Call today and I'll double your order if you order with in the next 30 minutes we will toss in the handy Rat'z Rag pocket rag for 3/8 cables at no extra charge just pay shipping
                  Do I get a 30 day money back guarantee? If yes, then "I jump in it"
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                    Do I get a 30 day money back guarantee? If yes, then "I jump in it"
                    You get a money back guarantee if not completely satisfied less shipping free Rat'z Rags for life just pay shipping and possessing also coming soon Rat'z ladies rags stops those sewers from running guaranteed
                    Rod
                    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                    http://unclognh.com
                    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Whelp, had a job outside 6" clean out. Blockage back towards the house. I been rodding this sewer since I was a kid with my father. Usually some roots 10 to 15 feet back from the clean out. She normally has us out every year to do preventive maintenance. She did not call last year do to illness in the family and was strapped for cash and time.

As to the rodding, the line opens up using a 2" cutter then we follow up with a 3" and then a 4" into the house and then a 6" up to the 4" x 6" joint. But not this time Went in with the 2" nothing happened, followed up with the 3" got it up to the stack and a chug of the foulest smelling sludge came out. I knew I was in for a rough one now. Put the 4" cutter on made passes on forward and reverse getting more large chugs of this black sludge to move but still not opening. So I did the rag trick. Made a few passes, working it near the stack (50' in) and getting a steady flow of sludge and water, then it stopped. So I put the autofeed in reverse but tightened the top wheel where it barely pressed on the cable to pull the cable out at a decent speed as long as the cutter/rag is free spinning when it gets caught it stops feeding. It got caught at around 25' to 30' and worked that spot for a bit and more large volumes of sludge and water flowed. Before I knew it 4 hours has passed.

So I had enough of this the line was packed with lots and lots of sludge, went back to the shop got my J-3000 sent it in to around 20' and the pipe started to flow tons of black water but the line was not open yet. After about 8 passes of the nozzle though this spot a large sludge of sludge came flying down the line then the dam broke loose. The water came out so hard and fast it filled the clean out half way for a minute or two. I could of gotten this with the rag if I kept at it for a few more hours, but have to know when to call it quits and get another tool on the job. The jetter got the line open in about a half hour, stood at it for another hour ensuring I got the line spotless. I only billed the lady for 3 1/2 hours instead of the 5 1/2 I spent there. She is super pleased.

Turns out the reason for this massive sludge blockage was she had her bathrooms remodeled and they put in the Low flow water closets, and she recently changed from Scott's paper to Charmin. Its just her and her brother living there, so there is not a whole lot of water being ran to wash the line down like there used to be. She used to do laundry every week but her machine is on the fritz so she been going elsewhere to do laundry. (laundry is at the very end of the line and normally flushed the whole line clean) She is getting a new machine this week, so hopefully things will get flushed out like it used to.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Whelp, had a job outside 6" clean out. Blockage back towards the house. I been rodding this sewer since I was a kid with my father. Usually some roots 10 to 15 feet back from the clean out. She normally has us out every year to do preventive maintenance. She did not call last year do to illness in the family and was strapped for cash and time.

As to the rodding, the line opens up using a 2" cutter then we follow up with a 3" and then a 4" into the house and then a 6" up to the 4" x 6" joint. But not this time Went in with the 2" nothing happened, followed up with the 3" got it up to the stack and a chug of the foulest smelling sludge came out. I knew I was in for a rough one now. Put the 4" cutter on made passes on forward and reverse getting more large chugs of this black sludge to move but still not opening. So I did the rag trick. Made a few passes, working it near the stack (50' in) and getting a steady flow of sludge and water, then it stopped. So I put the autofeed in reverse but tightened the top wheel where it barely pressed on the cable to pull the cable out at a decent speed as long as the cutter/rag is free spinning when it gets caught it stops feeding. It got caught at around 25' to 30' and worked that spot for a bit and more large volumes of sludge and water flowed. Before I knew it 4 hours has passed.

So I had enough of this the line was packed with lots and lots of sludge, went back to the shop got my J-3000 sent it in to around 20' and the pipe started to flow tons of black water but the line was not open yet. After about 8 passes of the nozzle though this spot a large sludge of sludge came flying down the line then the dam broke loose. The water came out so hard and fast it filled the clean out half way for a minute or two. I could of gotten this with the rag if I kept at it for a few more hours, but have to know when to call it quits and get another tool on the job. The jetter got the line open in about a half hour, stood at it for another hour ensuring I got the line spotless. I only billed the lady for 3 1/2 hours instead of the 5 1/2 I spent there. She is super pleased.

Turns out the reason for this massive sludge blockage was she had her bathrooms remodeled and they put in the Low flow water closets, and she recently changed from Scott's paper to Charmin. Its just her and her brother living there, so there is not a whole lot of water being ran to wash the line down like there used to be. She used to do laundry every week but her machine is on the fritz so she been going elsewhere to do laundry. (laundry is at the very end of the line and normally flushed the whole line clean) She is getting a new machine this week, so hopefully things will get flushed out like it used to.
                        Now thats a good fighting story great job
                        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Nice job Ron. I'm sure the Aussies and the jetter boys from here will be grinning when they read this one!

Comment

Working...
                          X