X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-60 reverse cutter to the rescue

had a call at a college that was still under construction. the 2'' floor drain in the mens locker changing room was plugged and the original plumber was long gone. the new plumbing contractor was able to clear all but this drain. line was full of cement/ grout and buried 18'' below the finished tile floor.

i knew my only chance for clearing the 2'' no hub drain and trap was with my reverse auger. so i grab my k-60 and both my 5/8'' and 7/8'' reverse auger. the 5/8'' was just too floppy in the 2'' cement filled trap. but i felt the 7/8'' biting in with the help of my feed fork. i was applying so much pressure and rotational force that i actually snapped off the first 4'' of my auger but that's the reason why i use the cable and not a cutter auger. i heated up the end and made a new auger end.

after many rounds of snaking, i made it through and was able to run the hose full force to wash and test. the cable went the full 12' balance of the cable into the trap.

the rick reverse auger is the bomb

rick.

end view of the reverse auger. i had to heat a new cutter as the first 4'' wore/ broke off in the difficut cleaning process.

the washer just corkescrewed up the cable.

flowing full force thanks to the rick reverse auger.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-19-2010, 01:26 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: k-60 reverse cutter to the rescue

Got to say Bro I think you got lucky on this one since it was cement.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      Got to say Bro I think you got lucky on this one since it was cement.
      Oh yeah ! Thats it, I am ordering a 7/8" cable just for a reverse auger Has anyone ever used the carbide tipped cutters for cement blockages. They have (2) for 5/8" and (1) for 7/8" cables .67132, 67137,67142
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Oh yeah ! Thats it, I am ordering a 7/8" cable just for a reverse auger Has anyone ever used the carbide tipped cutters for cement blockages. They have (2) for 5/8" and (1) for 7/8" cables .67132, 67137,67142
        good luck trying to get the 7/8'' through the trap. between the male and female coupler, the turn radius is just too long. the 5/8'' will make it, but the pressure needed to drill makes the 5/8'' a wet noodle. although they make a heavy duty 5/8'' x 10' cable c-9 i believe.

the reverse auger with a carbide tipped end brazed on is the answer.

the only reason i broke off the first 4'' was the constant spinning and rubbing in the trap with the help of the feed fork to apply tremendous pressure. first time i ever broke the cable. but what's 4'' when i still have 12'

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          good luck trying to get the 7/8'' through the trap. between the male and female coupler, the turn radius is just too long. the 5/8'' will make it, but the pressure needed to drill makes the 5/8'' a wet noodle. although they make a heavy duty 5/8'' x 10' cable c-9 i believe.

the reverse auger with a carbide tipped end brazed on is the answer.

the only reason i broke off the first 4'' was the constant spinning and rubbing in the trap with the help of the feed fork to apply tremendous pressure. first time i ever broke the cable. but what's 4'' when i still have 12'

rick.

You mentioned the use of a "feed fork". Just curious what this is? I personally have used a water meter key to help pry out a stuck 7/8 sectional cable once, but I have never used any instrument to force a cable into something. Sounds like this could be useful in certain circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
            You mentioned the use of a "feed fork". Just curious what this is? I personally have used a water meter key to help pry out a stuck 7/8 sectional cable once, but I have never used any instrument to force a cable into something. Sounds like this could be useful in certain circumstances.
            Just use a heavy guage plate strap.Preferably 18",easier to step on.

Comment

i'll have to take a photo of the "feed fork" to show you. but basically it's a handle with a plate steel welded to it and has a "c" notch cut into the end. this allows the cable to thread its way down the drain. you use this when trying to force a cable down a trap or through a stoppage.

pretty easy to make or you could buy 1 from general

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X