X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetting time

How long does it take some of you guys to jet a line and what size jetter, hose, and nozzle are you using to get there. Typical line in my area is 60' to 120', 4" or 6" lines. Lots of roots from clay pipe.

Re: Jetting time

for my big jetter i bill out a minimum of 2 hours. 2 hours is a lot of jetting time on a 4000# 18gpm unit.

a stopped up line takes longer than a flowing line and can get messy.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

For me to properly jet and clean a 6" clay root filled saintary about 50 ft or so, with a root ranger takes about 3-4 hours.

My cart jetter specs are 4gpm 3600psi.

To do a 3" or 4" castiron grease line 30' or so is about 1.5 hours. That includes set up and tear down time.

Comment

Most jobs; decent access, good water supply, no flooding issues to contend with, 4" residential service, about 1 hr. Maybe 45min, maybe 1:15.

grease line, a little longer to make some extra passes. maybe 1 1/2 hr. depends on how bad it's been let get and access and distance. hot water goes faster.

Roots in resi service, typically 1.5 to 2 hr. extra time in camera to see what distance they are at and in recamera to verify got them all. again assuming good access and water, etc.

frozen - up to 8 hr if it's a long line frozen solid the whole way that has sat a while and hardened up, with crap water supply and flooding issues, add time. often only 1-2 hr with good water and no flooding to control.

park garage drain system chock full of sand - could be several days if they want a good job. All depends on access. typically 3-6 hr.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Our root blockages take less time 'down under' (average 30 min) because we use quick release couplers! Anything to make the job quicker and safer! Racejet 4300 5.gpm - 4300psi.

After we have met the client and know where to jet from, we simply roll our our low pressure garden hose and connect to their tap. Connect the remote mini reel with your 3 favorite jet nozzles clipped to the frame, and start the jetter. Attachment

Walk out to the inspection opening, jet for about 15 seconds until you hit the obstruction, work it for 30 seconds them remove the hose.

Connect the RR and clear all the roots (3 minutes) then jet a further 5m downstream and all the way back to your I.O. Then the opposite direction 5m.

We will guarantee that this drain stays clear for 90 days. We also offer a 200 day guarantee ($90 extra) if we push down a cctv for our viewing only. If the client wants to see we charge $180. If we return for a cctv inspection it is $290.

If you want a great tool for checking to see if the drain was cleared properly or it is a difficult blockage, try the Blade Cutter from Mustang Nozzles. It connects directly to the Root Ranger and turns it into a mechanical cutter! You will need a quick coupler. Attachment

If you take the quick connector off the blade, it can then be fitted directly to the connecting end of a Ridgid electric eel cable too!

Check it out at http://www.thejettersedge.com.au/onl...&category_id=1
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bill2601; 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM.
          Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill
            If the line is blocked and you know its roots, What nozzel do you use first?

Comment

This is my favorite penetrating nozzle.

http://www.thejettersedge.com.au/onl...category_id=12
              Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

hay bill2601 how many times are you successful with your set up? If you cant get it open do you pull out the cable machine?

Comment

Originally posted by batson View Post
                  hay bill2601 how many times are you successful with your set up? If you cant get it open do you pull out the cable machine?
                  I have not used an electric eel for over 10 years, in fact we keep one (k-1500b) in the back of the factory just so show the apprentices how drains used to be cleared in the old days!

We clear more blocked drains in Sydney than most other companies, in fact I don't even know a plumber in Sydney who uses an eel.

If you have the right nozzles, these is not much a jetter can't do quicker and better than an eel! That's why "a jetter is better"!
                  Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                    Bill
                    If the line is blocked and you know its roots, What nozzel do you use first?
                    Warthog. The only down fall is that if the line is broke its not coming back without a bucket. Only happens once a year or so. 8 gpm 3500 psi. It pretty much is my go to nozzle. It needs an over haul/replacement.

Comment

Bill2601 if you jet everything what about jetting inside. Do you have some way of collecting water coming back at you from under a sink or from a cleanout.

Comment

Originally posted by batson View Post
                        Bill2601 if you jet everything what about jetting inside. Do you have some way of collecting water coming back at you from under a sink or from a cleanout.
                        We put a towel over the drain we are jetting. We also use tiny 1/8" whip hoses that don't use much water but are very effective at clearing the blockage.

If we are using the larger hose we stop when we are about to flood the room and use the Venturi pump to reduce the water level then start again. Normally running within 60 seconds using the 3/16" remote mini reel hose.
                        Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

The houses that we are typically augering the drains have clean outs in the finished basements, or sometimes have to pull a toilet. Not too often is there a clean out outside to auger from. Is it worth getting a larger jetter and warthog nozzle or similiar and pack the mechanical augers away. Do you always have two people to jet, do you always carry the jetter on the truck/trailer, or do you have to spend the time to go get it. I usually work alone on drain calls, do I need an extra person. Also, 4 mo of the year is well below freezing, jetting in the winter sucks. For this situation, is jetting the right way to go? I have a smaller unit 3500psi, 3.5gpm used for grease and ice, but need to get bigger machine for roots or atleast to clear the lines effectively. I cover a large area and therefore carry the drain equipment on the trucks, I would also have to do the same for the jetter because I do not want to spend the time travelling back and forth. The time it takes to set up, clean up from jetting sounds like it may take longer than an auger?

Comment

I guess that is why i want to know how every body is doing it. I am about to hang up my cables and just jet. At least for main lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone Plumbing View Post
                              The houses that we are typically augering the drains have clean outs in the finished basements, or sometimes have to pull a toilet. Not too often is there a clean out outside to auger from. Is it worth getting a larger jetter and warthog nozzle or similiar and pack the mechanical augers away. Do you always have two people to jet, do you always carry the jetter on the truck/trailer, or do you have to spend the time to go get it. I usually work alone on drain calls, do I need an extra person. Also, 4 mo of the year is well below freezing, jetting in the winter sucks. For this situation, is jetting the right way to go? I have a smaller unit 3500psi, 3.5gpm used for grease and ice, but need to get bigger machine for roots or atleast to clear the lines effectively. I cover a large area and therefore carry the drain equipment on the trucks, I would also have to do the same for the jetter because I do not want to spend the time travelling back and forth. The time it takes to set up, clean up from jetting sounds like it may take longer than an auger?
                              Always one man jet as long as he is using a remote mini reel. Jetter stays on the truck and you can roll out up to 120m (400') of 1/4" jet hose to access the remote mini reel that carries a further 60m (200') of hose.

You need at least 4000psi 5.5gpm to do a propper job of root cutting and penetration. We recommend 5000psi, reduces pressure drop.

Cover your jetter in froven times or put it in a van. Or, set up a quick disconnect for your reel and take it in over night?

We are set up for speed. If my guys can clear one more choke in a day because they we're set up properly, well that's just more profit!

Fly over, I'll pick you up from the airport, we'll clear drains all day and I'll put you on the redeye home that night..... I'll show you how drains are meant to be cleared!
                              Last edited by bill2601; 10-30-2010, 11:52 PM.
                              Regards, Bill

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X