X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Failed

So my church last week called me and told me that the roof drains are clogged and water is building up on the flat roof surface. It leaked through the roof and caused serious damage to the floor below it, which was the youth room. So I grabbed my machines and went over there after work. I got there and there is a one ft deep puddle. I had to crawl through a tight spot in the attic to get up there as well and not sure at this point how I am going to get my machines up this three story building. I get my smaller drum machine up there it has a 5/8 cable with 75ft on it. I figured it was just a bunch of leaves clogging the line. So I get to work after 15 minutes I get the first line open and all the water drains from the roof. I get over to the second drain and work it for 25 minutes. No luck, so I pull out and go back down and get the big boy then dragged it up two flights of stairs to an outside deck so I can get close enough to go over the roof. I get the churches ladder and bungee a piece of pvc and run my 11/16 cable through it. I show one of the guys there how to turn it off and on and how to use the autofeed ect. I get back up there run it for another 20 minutes switching out blade after blade with no luck. I was able to open a relief line that runs down to the gutters but when it rains it will over fill those gutters and might damage them. So I need to get this fixed.

So the church put in a parking lot two years ago and the storm drains were for some dumb reason buried. They don't need to be, because the city's main storm drain runs right in the middle of our parking lot with several grates and perfect grade for the roof drains to pour directly in to the parking lot. So I am thinking about cutting the pipe adding a 45 on the end and capping off the buried part of the line.

What do you guys think?

ps. The other side of the parking lot is not buried and is done in the way I am asking.

Re: I Failed

i think you needed a k-60

do i need to call rookie up and send him over

how many feet of cable went down the drain and where do you think that puts you? is it possible the underground got damaged?

what does your cable and cutters look like when you removed them?

maybe you need rick-x

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The drains were likely buried so the run off from the roof doesn't create an ice sheet across the parking lot

"HELP ME! I'VE FALLON AND CAN'T GET UP. SOMEONE CALL MY LAWYER"
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        The drains were likely buried so the run off from the roof doesn't create an ice sheet across the parking

"HELP ME! I'VE FALLON AND CAN'T GET UP. SOMEONE CALL MY LAWYER"

That's a good point but the thing is we hardly get snow or ice here. Maybe a few weeks out of the year do we actually have that risk. and the drain is only about 15 ft away. I will take some pictures and show you what I am working with

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i think you needed a k-60

do i need to call rookie up and send him over

how many feet of cable went down the drain and where do you think that puts you? is it possible the underground got damaged?

what does your cable and cutters look like when you removed them?

maybe you need rick-x

rick.
          It might be possible the underground was damaged but I wasn't bringing up any dirt and I didn't hit roots. The first line I brought up a bunch of leaves and small branches. The idiot that installed the drains didn't at least put a screen on them.

I could only go about 15 ft on the second drain as to where on the first one I was able to go out all 75 ft. If the pipe was damaged underground it could be really clogged up. My guess is that there is some hard lodged down there that my cutter won't go through. I tried every angle from slowly approaching it to ramming a spear into it and nothing worked. I have never not been able to open a line that is not collapsed.

It kind of makes me think, "have I lost my touch".
          Last edited by DanLawrence; 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM.

Comment

If your thinking of cutting the pipe put in a cl out and rod it from the ground ... Than if it ever backs up again you can pull the plug and drain the roof to end the emergency

Comment

this

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
              If your thinking of cutting the pipe put in a cl out and rod it from the ground ... Than if it ever backs up again you can pull the plug and drain the roof to end the emergency
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post

I thought about that but the pastor of the church said just to disconnect it. However I think I like your idea better for multiple reasons one of which Plumberscrack mentioned.

Comment

I took some pictures my phone but they didn't come out very well. After further inspection I realized the problem was not with the drain but the connection to the drain that contractors had installed. There was stupid connection done with a Fernco right into a 45 it just didn't make sense. I was put in charge of fixing it and so I am calling a company tomorrow to fix it properly. I know that's the reason why I couldn't get the clog out. I would do it myself but I am not standing on a latter three stories up there working on that pipe.

Comment

Working...
                  X