Good or Gimmicky?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good or Gimmicky?

They make it to work with Eel 1 1/4 cable connectors, and Eel makes an 3/4" to Eel cable adapter. So you buy it for the Eel machine, and get the cable adapter and you are all set.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That could work. I don't think the cutter is out yet though.

Where does one find the adapter?
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

a couple of things. most all blades scraping in a pipe are self sharpening. as they wear, they develop a thinner ground down edge that is sharp.

i could see that for grease and crust, but for roots, it's too much of a mass to shred up roots and allow the cutter to pass and the roots to pass. i think it will create a blockage as the roots will have nowhere to go.

it also looks like an expensive cutter. i would think a 4 blade cutter of the proper size will do a very good if not better job.

still, a spiral root saw does a great job on roots and it seldom loads up.

i'll save my money and wait for your reviews on this one

the sectional is the choice due to high speed and less chance to bind up due to the instant clutch on sectionals.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I would think it may be a good finish blade but again the cost is what will sway me.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I could see it helping when you had to go through a pipe with a coulple rotted out spot it wont fall through the crack

I have wrapped the back of a head with duct tape the shape of a ball to float over cracks

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i could see that for grease and crust, but for roots, it's too much of a mass to shred up roots and allow the cutter to pass and the roots to pass. i think it will create a blockage as the roots will have nowhere to go.

it also looks like an expensive cutter. i would think a 4 blade cutter of the proper size will do a very good if not better job.

rick.
              I use the 4-blade cutter as the first head in 90% of the time. My complaint is that it doesn't cut enough. This general head looks like it has 6-8 blades (though not serrated) that will cut on a true perpendicular angle to the root growth (from the top of the pipe).

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
              I would think it may be a good finish blade but again the cost is what will sway me.
              I like that it has a sharp point for probing and breaking up masses. I'd be willing to try the 2" head on my 1.25" cable and 7/8" cable as the first head in.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of using the larger ones in clay pipe. The 3" or 4" one may push root debris down pretty well though

-C

Comment

roots get the circular root saw. being round it scrapes most all the pipe. outside main line stoppages are 95% roots and 5% wipes.

the 4 blade i keep for my laundry drains and kitchen sinks.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  I like the roundness of it.I'm not scared of getting hung up on roots.I bet that thing gets busy on roots..
                  I would try it as well, and not be afraid of roots either.

Comment

Just called Marvin and put in my order. Soon as he gets them in and sends me mine I will write them up for you. I love new tools to use on my rods.
                    Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      Just called Marvin and put in my order. Soon as he gets them in and sends me mine I will write them up for you. I love new tools to use on my rods.
                      did he give you a price for them? cost could play a big role
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I seen them before there called tulip cutters
                        Last edited by GRDrainguy; 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRDrainguy View Post
                          I seen them before thud called tulip cutters
                          Me too. Had a catalog somewhere and couldn't think of the name. Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            a couple of things. most all blades scraping in a pipe are self sharpening. as they wear, they develop a thinner ground down edge that is sharp.

i'll save my money and wait for your reviews on this one

the sectional is the choice due to high speed and less chance to bind up due to the instant clutch on sectionals.

rick.

My thoughts exactly, I will eat my words if I am wrong but I agree with Rick on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by GRDrainguy View Post
                              I seen them before there called tulip cutters
                              I seen that style before on hand rods. Here is a couple pics of the ones I have.

And here is an odd ball cutter I have. I have a few of these sitting in the shop

Attached Files
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

I have or had a catalog that had cutters that looked more like the ones General is making. Can't find it.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X