Good or Gimmicky?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good or Gimmicky?

Thinking out aloud, if you must persist in using eel's....my biggest concern when I used to hang off the end of a K1500B was pulling the 8 cables all the way out just to change cutter heads and feed the 8 cables back in again Why not try a front penetrating head, followed by 3' of cable then a larger finishing cutter to follow through? Clear and cut in one go. Has it been done?

I also remember sharpening my main penetrating head with the grinder on the side of the road so I could bust through the choke!
    Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Rons cutters

The 1st pic is a general 1-s spear the 2nd is a allan j coleman no 6 41/2" spear marvin

Comment

Re: Rons cutters

Originally posted by rod man View Post
        The 1st pic is a general 1-s spear the 2nd is a allan j coleman no 6 41/2" spear marvin
        Any idea what that spiral saw is in the last two pics? The connector is flat on one side and half round on the other. So Marv want to buy the Allan J Coleman cutter?

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
        Thinking out aloud, if you must persist in using eel's....my biggest concern when I used to hang off the end of a K1500B was pulling the 8 cables all the way out just to change cutter heads and feed the 8 cables back in again Why not try a front penetrating head, followed by 3' of cable then a larger finishing cutter to follow through? Clear and cut in one go. Has it been done?

I also remember sharpening my main penetrating head with the grinder on the side of the road so I could bust through the choke!
        Maybe Marvin can correct me if I am wrong. I recall seeing in an old Spartan catalog a leader type cutter that would have a spear head in the front, and right after the leader cable was a blade holder using a pair shaped cutter.

I use Eel cutters along with Spartan cutters on my 1065 so rolling up the cable to change blades is not a huge issue.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          I could see it helping when you had to go through a pipe with a coulple rotted out spot it wont fall through the crack

I have wrapped the back of a head with duct tape the shape of a ball to float over cracks
          Genius! Another use for duct tape!
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            I seen that style before on hand rods. Here is a couple pics of the ones I have.

And here is an odd ball cutter I have. I have a few of these sitting in the shop

Ron, you should think of opening a drain cleaning museum of oddities.

I just had a "Punch" pizza today. One of these days I'm going to have to drive down to Chi town and get a pizza with you.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Ron, you should think of opening a drain cleaning museum of oddities.

I just had a "Punch" pizza today. One of these days I'm going to have to drive down to Chi town and get a pizza with you.
              Once I get to cleaning out the garage, I will post some pics of some really odd machines. And just give me a call when you are in town, I can take you on the Rat'z unguided tour of places to eat.
              Last edited by SewerRatz; 11-06-2010, 07:39 PM.
              Ron's Facebook

Comment

RON THE SPARTAN CUTTER YOU ARE THINKING OF HAD A SPEAR IN FRONT AND A 4' CUTTER AT THE END OF THE LEADER. KARL KOLLMANN ALSO MADE A GANG TOOL A T-33 WITH A SPADE CUTTER IN FRONT AND 2 2 1/2 " H CUTTERS FOLOWING ABOUT 10" PART, THERE WAS A T-34 WITH 3 1/2" CUTTERS MARVIN i

Comment

I got one (3" version) and it was expensive ($185.00). It does work well, however, it is tough to turn at the bottom of a clean-out, and Plumber Rick is right, if you have a mass of roots, tough to get to pass. Having said that, it is a great clean-up cutter and I don't regret it. Can't say I justify the cost, but nothing ventured, nothing gained! Hope this helps! FYI--I use the Ridgid K-7500 but I like General Wire Cables and Cutters better. (I can just hear all the Ridgid drain cleaners now!)
                  Attached Files
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

185 bucks for just one cutter? Dang

Have you used it enough to notice the "self-sharpening" feature?
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I don't know about that self-sharping crap...but it hasn't really dulled out. The 4" version is $250.00 smackeroos!!!
                      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                        I got one (3" version) and it was expensive ($185.00)

Looks like something from the dark ages

Comment

AJ Coleman has the ones for the General cable in stock, 2", 3" and the 4" one. I am waiting for him to get the ones with the Spartan ends. Granted he has the adapter to go from a spartan end to a general end but we think it adds to much length to the connection which will make it more difficult to make turns with. So as soon as he gets the ones with the ends I need, I will give you my review.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Here is a picture of the 4" one I took when I was at AJ Coleman's. Thing is a monster.
                            Attached Files
                            Ron's Facebook

Comment

Bit on the pricey side those cutters, but if they work good, last, and Self-sharpen as they claim maybe its worth it
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Some might have a use for it so i hesitate to call it a gimmick but i can assure you I would never buy one.

Comment

Working...
                                X