X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick's 7/8" Reverse Auger

Just finished it up.Let me know how this looks. I heat treated it. Figured when I find a hex end for an old auger bit I will slide it into the leftover male end and weld for a timberwolf adapter. Not that I have the guts to try that yet. Now I am wondering if anyone has attempted this trick(reverse auger) with an 1 1/4" cable ..Hmmmm
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OLD1; 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Rick's 7/8" Reverse Auger

I would like to see the timberwolf set up.

Comment

Originally posted by RDW920 View Post
      I would like to see the timberwolf set up.
      Yeah I would too. I have not seen one. I hear you can buy them made up. Figured why waste the male end when I could try and make one myself ..

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
        Just finished it up.Let me know how this looks. I heat treated it. Figured when I find a hex end for an old auger bit I will slide it into the leftover male end and weld for a timberwolf adapter. Not that I have the guts to try that yet. Now I am wondering if anyone has attempted this trick(reverse auger) with an 1 1/4" cable ..Hmmmm
        looks good to me but I have yet to make one myself I will soon thow I just got 7, 5/8" sections and cutters for the K-60 now I have both 7/8" and 5/8" cables I will wait to make one with my 5/8 till I get more cable
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
          looks good to me but I have yet to make one myself I will soon thow I just got 7, 5/8" sections and cutters for the K-60 now I have both 7/8" and 5/8" cables I will wait to make one with my 5/8 till I get more cable
          Yeah, had extra 5/8" cables so that was the first one I made. It is all that..and has saved my a** more than once..So yesterday I went on a code red. Customer calls says the kitchen is stopped up and downstairs the laundry sink is filling up as well..No problem get there , assess the situation .. 2" PVC stack in basement .Sweet..Cut out a section for a cleanout after I am done..Pulled out the 1 3/4" 4 blade cutter ..NO GO! when it hit the 2" in the 3x2 sweep it struggled ..Sucked..Out came the straight auger.No problem right through. Had some resistance @ the 2" portion of the 3x2 sweep. I was thinking enough games . I need to make the 7/8" auger ..When I was done and had things flowing good . put in 2" wye and plug for easier access next time. The homeowner really got off on that . He was like

Comment

Okay I am hijacking this post for a question...Isn't the reverse auger a funnel auger backwards? Also does any body use the T-101 Auger and for what application? Thanks!!!
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
              Okay I am hijacking this post for a question...Isn't the reverse auger a funnel auger backwards? Also does any body use the T-101 Auger and for what application? Thanks!!!
              No the funnel auger is much bigger..I have every head including the T-101 ..Use it for more straight runs..The deal is that with making a reverse auger you eliminate the couplings and the stiffness associated with getting them through such things as p-traps..Trust me more often than not trap leaders do not even work for me but the reverse auger has never let me down..Just ask asstime

Comment

No the funnel auger is much bigger..I have every head including the T-101 ..Use it for more straight runs..The deal is that with making a reverse auger you eliminate the couplings and the stiffness associated with getting them through such things as p-traps..Trust me more often than not trap leaders do not even work for me but the reverse auger has never let me down..Just ask asstime
                So basically I need to sacrifice a 7/8" x 15 section to make this...what I was noticing that the funnel auger although quite larger in the opening, is wound the other direction...right? I went ahead and bought a T-101 but now that I have it in my hand, its hard to imagine what purpose it has...

Derek

Comment

also keep in mind the wire gauge is much larger on the cable/ reverse auger than the funnel auger.

plus the weld is 14' 6'' away from the cutting edge.

you don't need to buy a cable for this purpose. just sacrifice your older cable that might have a kink or a bad connector on 1 end.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    also keep in mind the wire gauge is much larger on the cable/ reverse auger than the funnel auger.

plus the weld is 14' 6'' away from the cutting edge.

you don't need to buy a cable for this purpose. just sacrifice your older cable that might have a kink or a bad connector on 1 end.

rick.
                    Well that sucks I just got the K-60 and all new cable...would you say its worth the sacrifice? Also I forgot to ask I notice on the connectors the welds are somewhat minimal...should I be concerned since this thing rotates 3 times faster than my normal machine? Or because it is rotating so fast the welds are not so important? Just don't want to lose a cable in a drain due to a weak or under welded link...(Remember never used a sectional before ... its all new to me)

Derek

Comment

The welds won't break. The coupling threaded into the cable will be nough tension to keep it in place.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by dcman View Post
                        Well that sucks I just got the K-60 and all new cable...would you say its worth the sacrifice? Also I forgot to ask I notice on the connectors the welds are somewhat minimal...should I be concerned since this thing rotates 3 times faster than my normal machine? Or because it is rotating so fast the welds are not so important? Just don't want to lose a cable in a drain due to a weak or under welded link...(Remember never used a sectional before ... its all new to me)
                        Yes, I would higly recommend it..I have two rolls of cable 135' + the reverse auger..Never needed any more ..Yet..I have never been concerned with the welds..I would also recommend a length of general inner core cable..Put that length on first when you encounter a heavy root build up..I still have to buy one..Also about the only thing I do not like about the 60 is the velcro corded deal..I never undo it and just run another cord off of it..The velcro thing is very irritating ..just my .02

Comment

Yes, I would higly recommend it..I have two rolls of cable 135' + the reverse auger..Never needed any more ..Yet..I have never been concerned with the welds..I would also recommend a length of general inner core cable..Put that length on first when you encounter a heavy root build up..I still have to buy one..Also about the only thing I do not like about the 60 is the velcro corded deal..I never undo it and just run another cord off of it..The velcro thing is very irritating ..just my .02
                          Me too drives me crazy.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

me three

the velcro only comes off if i'm 6' /not inches short otherwise it's an extension cord.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Old1-- The way I read your last post, you run all open wound? I am still waiting on two sections of i.c. cable...so theoritically I could be cabling sewers with out i.c. leaders?

And yes I was monkeying around with that stupid a88 velcro thing...think I will just extension cord up to it...

Last deal...does nobody make a adapter to allow me to use the buttload of cutters from my 3/4" general wire cable to the 7/8" sectonial cable??

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X