X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutter?

What cutter or head do you use when there is a wipe/mice blockage and an auger will NOT make the turns to the blockage?

Twice I've had the small C Type cutter on 7/8" sectional go through or under the blockage and not clear it. I know this for a fact.

Thanks for any input.

J.C.

Re: Cutter?

Bump one time. Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

jc, with wipes and mice the c cutter is not my choice.

i guarantee you the rick reverse auger will not fail. you can take that to the bank

not only will it make the turns, but it will bring it back out to show the customer

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        jc, with wipes and mice the c cutter is not my choice.

i guarantee you the rick reverse auger will not fail. you can take that to the bank

not only will it make the turns, but it will bring it back out to show the customer

rick.
        I posted wrong originally. TODAY I had the small C cutter go completely through the blockage and not clear it. Gave it the old back and forth. Slow grind. You name it.

The whole story: We pumped the septic tank also. So we had the end point open. Things are backed up through the house. The house has been "replumbed" with 3" conduit & the 3" vent drop is a short-short 90 at the bottom. No auger would jump the turn. But the C cutter would.

Anyway, the cable gets almost to the tank and grabs like he!!. Eventually get through to the tank. Looking at the cable head out of the pipe. Still backe up in the whole house. And I didn't pay close attention to the tension and the last cable rebounded about 18" down into the vent.

No problem. Get off the roof, pull the C cutter off of the end of the cable and start pulling it through backwards with the I95. Pull the 7/8" cable completely out now from vent to tank....still only a trickle. Whole house still backed up.

So I go back in from the tank just for the he!! of it. Just inside the wall there is a combination with C.O. out the back so I know I'm gonna hit and grind at the back rather than jump up. That's what happens. Just a trickle. House still backed up.

Yank that 15' of 7/8" cable out. Thinking.....about 10 seconds later.....voila! A gusher. House is cleared.

Wipes, mice, paper in the cable. Got it, but I need to be more efficient than this.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

The other time I had a paper blockage and was using the General 7/8" auger. I've been a plumber first so usually have some idea where something is blocked by the way things are acting.

I knew I was reaching the blockage and it was paper related. Went all the way in and out twice. Nothing. Nothing on the cable either. Got to do something. So I get mad and put a camera in there thinking I won't see anything under water. But the water was pretty clear.

Push, push, outrun the sediment. Get to one point and goes white with minor resistance. Then I can see the open pipe with a trickle of water at the bottom. At this time I figure that the cable and the camera are able to go through or dive under the blockage but not move it. Even with the water behind it.

So I'm going to move the camera back out slowly and then all of a sudden I see the vortex and that sweet sound. Guess the camera gave it just enough jiggle. (I know, I know)

Anyway, both times, inefficient. I've got to go, go, go.

So any other ideas to make the process better are appreciated.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

a pipe/ system full of sludge and paper is better attacked with a jetter. but a jetter running into a standing pipe of waste can get messy going downstream. of course going upstream is usually not that simple.

the 7/8'' sectional cable with a 4 blade cutter will do a great job at turning the sludge into a flow.

remember my milkshake video. the frozen ice cream was made into a milkshake with the 4 blade cutter. same basic principal.

you knowing plumbing and the layout have a 1 up on someone going in there blind. you need to outsmart the stoppage and you'll always win.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

a pipe/ system full of sludge and paper is better attacked with a jetter. but a jetter running into a standing pipe of waste can get messy going downstream. of course going upstream is usually not that simple.

the 7/8'' sectional cable with a 4 blade cutter will do a great job at turning the sludge into a flow.

remember my milkshake video. the frozen ice cream was made into a milkshake with the 4 blade cutter. same basic principal.

you knowing plumbing and the layout have a 1 up on someone going in there blind. you need to outsmart the stoppage and you'll always win.

rick.
              Hey rick, where can I find that video?
              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                Hey rick, where can I find that video?

funny you should ask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHwZ...e=related'

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Haha Awesome stuff!

I don't mean to get off topic, but Rick, can you PM me your phone number? I need to find someone with a cam that I can trust for the times I need the service. Let me know if you wouldn't mind...
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

JC, its the paper and female products that cause a sludge blockage. This is where the rag taped to the C cutter shines since it will swab the walls and push the blockage out. If the rag fails then its time to use a jetter. An electric jetter will work just fine with a sludge blockage and get it flowing again in a short time.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I had a job last year where the "Dual Flush" toilet in the teenage girls bathroom was obviously(hindsight) not flushing the paper out of the 40 year old cast iron.

I would feel the sluggish head for 10'or so then go smooth for the rest of the way.
                      There was standing water at the cleanout at my end yet in the front yard I could look down it's cleanout and see my cable in a dry pipe

K-60's 600RPM with the four blade will whip it up for you JC and get it flowing.

P.S.
                      My interior cleanout was in the master walk in closet with about 100,000
                      in apparel.No way even one black speck would be acceptable.I don't know about jetting or rag pulling sludge on this one

Comment

the difference between a successful drain cleaner and a drain cleaner that's not

a successful drain cleaner can look at the situation, examine the layout and figure out what and where the stoppage is giving them the advantage over the guy that goes there and doesn't have a clue what's going on.

i've been to jobs that others have failed and it was because they were more interested in selling them a bill of goods than addressing the real problem.

snaking a dry cleanout when the stoppage is not there is a joke.

when new customers call me after they've struck out with others, they then appreciate the fact that i ask questions and look at their past bills. the more you know, the easier it is to get the line flowing.

outsmarting others is what separates the drain cleaner from the drain brain

with cameras, i can now go into a complete strangers line and recreate the problems that of course never surface when you get there.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

Anyway, the cable gets almost to the tank and grabs like he!!. Eventually get through to the tank. Looking at the cable head out of the pipe. Still backe up in the whole house. And I didn't pay close attention to the tension and the last cable rebounded about 18" down into the vent.

J.C.
                          It sounds like maybe the pipe has slipped loose from it's connection at the septic tank causing the problem in the first place. You might want to check that out before it happens again.

Just a thought.
                          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

the difference between a successful drain cleaner and a drain cleaner that's not

a successful drain cleaner can look at the situation, examine the layout and figure out what and where the stoppage is giving them the advantage over the guy that goes there and doesn't have a clue what's going on.

i've been to jobs that others have failed and it was because they were more interested in selling them a bill of goods than addressing the real problem.

snaking a dry cleanout when the stoppage is not there is a joke.

when new customers call me after they've struck out with others, they then appreciate the fact that i ask questions and look at their past bills. the more you know, the easier it is to get the line flowing.

outsmarting others is what separates the drain cleaner from the drain brain

with cameras, i can now go into a complete strangers line and recreate the problems that of course never surface when you get there.

rick.
                            Not sure if even a great drain cleaner can do it every time, but I have to say that I walked right in on this one and knew right where the problem was located.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                              It sounds like maybe the pipe has slipped loose from it's connection at the septic tank causing the problem in the first place. You might want to check that out before it happens again.

Just a thought.
                              The horizontal from foundation to tank seemed to be fine. I believe the grab point was at a transition before leaving the structure.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X