X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed One Of My Cables Today...

I changed my first 25' section of .55 cable today in my Spartan 300. It was 5 months old, 200+ jobs. I had made a rookie mistake and kinked it 3 months ago in a 6" line and it was starting to wear thin/flat where the kink was from rubbing on the inside of pipes. I didn't want it to break off on a job.

It kind of freaked me out how limp/loose the used sections of cable were as compared to the new section I guess as time goes by you don't notice how it loosens up.

My question is, how much does this continuing cable limpness/loosening affect the preferred cabling properties ?

Re: Changed One Of My Cables Today...

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
    I changed my first 25' section of .55 cable today in my Spartan 300. It was 5 months old, 200+ jobs. I had made a rookie mistake and kinked it 3 months ago in a 6" line and it was starting to wear thin/flat where the kink was from rubbing on the inside of pipes. I didn't want it to break off on a job.

It kind of freaked me out how limp/loose the used sections of cable were as compared to the new section I guess as time goes by you don't notice how it loosens up.

My question is, how much does this continuing cable limpness/loosening affect the preferred cabling properties ?
    With the double wound cable not to much. But be sure to put your stiffer cable in the back end. Also its a good idea to rotate cables about every two months. So they all wear evenly.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I have two reels with 110 x 11/16 and rotate them every month myself
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        With the double wound cable not to much. But be sure to put your stiffer cable in the back end. Also its a good idea to rotate cables about every two months. So they all wear evenly.

Yes, I put the new cable in the back end.

Comment

I use to use 3/4" hole core 100' ridgid cable untile I read a thread a while back and ron you sugested useing not to me in genaral but how you use 2 50' and rotate them and that made enough cents to me so thats what I got for the K-7500 I also have I just started with that so I have yet to rotate them but I guese I will listen to what you guys say and every 2 months will work for me I just need to write that on my calender or I will forget
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
            I use to use 3/4" hole core 100' ridgid cable untile I read a thread a while back and ron you sugested useing not to me in genaral but how you use 2 50' and rotate them and that made enough cents to me so thats what I got for the K-7500 I also have I just started with that so I have yet to rotate them but I guese I will listen to what you guys say and every 2 months will work for me I just need to write that on my calender or I will forget
            Don't you just love these guys.My life has gone so much more smoothly due to this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
              If you have a spare 50' on the truck for those occasional lines that go over 110', let me suggest putting it in the rotation as well.

The way I do it is I take the spare cable and load that in first, the cable that used to be attached to the anchor moves to the front and the front cable moves to the spare real.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

That makes alot of sense since you are already there!
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

If you have a spare 50' on the truck for those occasional lines that go over 110', let me suggest putting it in the rotation as well.

The way I do it is I take the spare cable and load that in first, the cable that used to be attached to the anchor moves to the front and the front cable moves to the spare real.
                  not yet as I could not $$$ it I set a certen amount of each job to the side about 10% of each ticket if I can I just have not been able to buy a third 50' length yet as I have 150' of new 7/8" I got on creigs list for $30 and I still have my first set I got with K-60 of 150' I just could not pass on $30 bucks fo 150' feet never used still has the oil on it from ridgid and no rust
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Nice score!
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

200+ rod jobs??? Cripes, my K1500 is over two years old, and I dont even think its been used 100 times!

Comment

all in the calls that come in. I run probably 5 sewer calls a week, but I also run about 50 calls a week. so my k-7500 gets used roughly 250 times a year, the POS speedway on the other truck gets used about half that, but still a respectable amount. We change the drum cables every 6 months or so on the speedway, thankfully the C-100 cable gives us a few years.

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        200+ rod jobs??? Cripes, my K1500 is over two years old, and I dont even think its been used 100 times!
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post

I average 16 jobs per week, about 10 are main lines.

Comment

Working...
                          X