Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor man's jetter from pressure washer?

Ok, so I'm not planning on building one but I want to know if it's possible and the why's and why not's of it. Some of you may have run across something like this so I'd like to know if you have and what you thought of it.

I was browsing through the Harbor Freight site when I saw they had 2500PSI presure washers for only $350 and that's what got me thinking.... What's to prevent someone from buying a pressure washer and swapping out the hose/wand for a 100ft+ jetter hose and nozzles?

Is it possible? Obviously it wouldn't be as good as a real drain jetter (no pulse or snazzy Ridgid logo) but would it work? Even if I did get my hands on something like that, I doubt I would want to use if for anything other than straight main line runs, but in theory, it would work no?
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Poor man's jetter from pressure washer?

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sea...archid=3269553

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
      Ok, so I'm not planning on building one but I want to know if it's possible and the why's and why not's of it. Some of you may have run across something like this so I'd like to know if you have and what you thought of it.

I was browsing through the Harbor Freight site when I saw they had 2500PSI presure washers for only $350 and that's what got me thinking.... What's to prevent someone from buying a pressure washer and swapping out the hose/wand for a 100ft+ jetter hose and nozzles?

Is it possible? Obviously it wouldn't be as good as a real drain jetter (no pulse or snazzy Ridgid logo) but would it work? Even if I did get my hands on something like that, I doubt I would want to use if for anything other than straight main line runs, but in theory, it would work no?
      I do think it has been done as asstime was trying to quote but the link goes noware
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

aas. your link doesn't work for me. breid...................

Comment

we built ours, don't know the specs on the engine, but the pressure washer was purchased from a local distributor, mounted to a trailer with a ~600 gallon holding tank, and 3 hose reels. One for the garden hose, one for 400 foot of 1/4 hose, and one for 200 foot of 3/8 hose.

Piped it all into a manifold and we have a decent jetter for a fraction of what one of the prefabbed units cost.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

Years ago, all water jetters were just pressure washers with long hoses and a couple of nozzles. Now they are custom built for drain cleaning.

2500psi would hardly pull the skin off a rice pudding! Save up and get a better jetter! I have see some guys buy a 5000psi 5.5gpm pressure washer for $4,500 - no header tank, and fit a reel to it. Header tank makes a big difference in low pressure areas.

We use a single phase electric 1860psi pressure washer and connect it to our 10m whip hose for small drains in high rise buildings.
            Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

a jetter is based on a pressure washer with a few upgrades.

the pulsation valve is handy, but a foot valve will not only substitute, but work very well too.

hoses and nozzles are the next real difference.

2500 psi is ok as long as you have gpm. there's always pressure drop at the nozzle.my first 6 jetters i built were from pressure washers. in fact my 2 electric ones are pressure washers with the upgrades i've mentioned.
              3 of my gas jetters are true factory designed jetters and the rest of my gas jetters are pressure washers.

now that i think of it, i probably have 10 working jetters even rookie got one of my hand me downs. 6.5 honda 2500# at 3gpm.

rick.

i have a 16hp 4000# 4gpm machine coming hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                aas. your link doesn't work for me. breid...................

I don't know what happened ? It was working....

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sea...archid=3269742

Comment

OK, say we go with the harbor frieght cheapie.... 6.5HP, 2500PSI, 3GPM. What would be the ideal size/length of hose to use with that bad boy?

Now that I'm reading your responses, it sounds like a very tempting project
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I built my cart jetter from a pressure washer, i use it weekly

specs are 13 hp 3600 psi @ 4 gpm

start to finish with new hoses, reels, nozzels, pulse valve and the root

ranger i purchased from BILL at jetters edge. Total cost $1500

i made more than my money back now im in the market for a trailer jetter.

Comment

here's the issue. you need to keep the hose short to decrease the pressure drop on the outlet nozzle.

the specs are not a main line machine, but rather a kitchen / laundry 2'' branch line machine.

100' of 1/4'' id hose would be the max. i would use. 50' would be 1/2 the pressure drop.

1/8'' has a tremendous drop of pressure. so i would only use it for tight turns. 3/16'' is a good compromise, but not as common to find. '

i had great luck with stainless steel covered teflon hose. it's smooth, slick and has a smaller od to make the turns.

pretty spend stuff and takes the right dies and fittings to crimp it.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                        I built my cart jetter from a pressure washer, i use it weekly

specs are 13 hp 3600 psi @ 4 gpm

start to finish with new hoses, reels, nozzels, pulse valve and the root

ranger i purchased from BILL at jetters edge. Total cost $1500

i made more than my money back now im in the market for a trailer jetter.
                        I use the same machine as JH. Bought the pressure washer used off Craigslist.
                        Started out with 13HP Honda GX390 engine paired with Annovi Reveri RK pump. I added the pulse valve myself ($60) and hose reel from Harbor Freight. Total investment about $800. I even made my own Root Ranger for less than $50

This would be the smallest gas jetter set up that I would use.

Comment

I should start shopping craigslist maybe. I think I would probably use it mostly for grease/sludge build up for kitchen lines, but it would be nice to have a bigger machine for main line roots.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

http://www.amazingmachinery.com/pres...onversion.html

Thinking about one of these kits. Any thoughts?
                            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

I looked into those kits and thought to myself they are kinda crappy.

i had and idea of everything i needed, i called watercannon, talked to
                              charlie and he walked me through the rest. I would buy what you need from water cannon. Im very happy with everything they set me up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X