X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random cutter idea #1

Maybe it's already been done and I don't know about it, but here it goes....

I was thinking of fabricating a very rough version of this cutter - the idea is that of a basic C-cutter BUT have it in some way spring loaded so that it would expand upon hitting an obstruction and then retract to normal size once it gets past said obstruction.

If you can't visualize what I'm talking about - sorry but my drawing skills aren't very good so I can't draw you a diagram. For those of you who can visualize it, let's hear your input on the idea. What are the pros and cons of having something like this.

Again, this is just some random idea so it probably isn't very effective, but I'd like to hear what the pros with more experience than me think.
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Random cutter idea #1

sorry but ridgid and others already have an expanding cutter.

i have a few 4 x6'' cutters and even a 6 x8'' cutter

i've adapted them to different machines and cable ends.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I was under the impression that those cutters can be compressed by hand and expand as soon as they are released, no?

I was thinking of something that would only expand when needed so it can better negotiate through a 90 or two.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

I was thinking of something that would only expand when needed so it can better negotiate through a 90 or two.

Comment

idl. how will you get it to expand and contract? breid...........

Comment

Making new and modifying old tools is always a worthwhile endeavor

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
              That's the $1,000,000.00 question right there
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                That's the part I was hoping we could figure out together.
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                  That's the part I was hoping we could figure out together.

I have a few ideas
                  1. You can have it mechanically open and close the plus side is that it would be an easy way to control it. The downside is that it would have to be really tough so that it can with stand alot of abuse. It would also probably need to be radio controlled which again means more stuff you have to add and the more I write this the more ridiculous it sounds.

2. In an open sound cable you could have cord that would be able to be pulled to open and close it. This might be feasible but seems like alot of extra stuff for a cutter.

3. Forward it opens and reverse it closes. I think this could be done but again more mechanics to go wrong. One would really have to play with it to get it just right.

I can't think of anything else right now, it's been a long day and my brain is fried.

Comment

Centrifugal force?

J.C.

Comment

I have been kicking around a Bear trap type of cutter... This cutter could either be of the type that when it hits the obstruction it closes (tries to take a bite of the obstruction like a retriever) or it will open up when it hits the stoppage, this may allow for more aggressive cutting shapes to be fed further into a line...

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Centrifugal force?

J.C.
                        I am thinking JC is on to something. Basically a spiral type root saw that expands out as the cable spins...Ok JC I will split half the royalties with you....But seriously , that is exactly what I have needed more than a few times where there are no outside cleanouts. You have a 3" stack and you know it is a 4x3 sweep below the slab .but you can't get the big boy heads down past the 3" portion of the stack till it turns 4"
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

this is a possibility, some type of ratchet system that when reversed it would jump to the next size, and if done correctly you could have possibly two or three steps in the movement, (or be able to adjust the amount of expansion) but after "cycling" it would go back to the small size, so one would not as apt to get it stuck in a pipe, but what ever the system one comes up with it is going to need to bullet proof in mud sand and wast,

basically if one would use a course acme thread, and pitch the thread so one would enter in the small pipe running the cable in reverse the unit would be at its smallest and when rotated in forward it would expand to the desired size, a simple screw system would work and then by putting a nylon locking nut, or spacer, or pin or cotter pin in could adjust to the max size one would want in the pipe, by running in reverse it would in theory return to the small size for removal.
                          (one would not run in forward until you got to the larger pipe, and one would need to be fairly sure the smaller pipe would be cleared before using the un-expanded tool for the cables sake),
                          by the moving of the hub it would expand the fingers or cutters to the desired size.

on the same concept say you take a spiral root saw, and make matching spiral hub, that it could screw in and out of, in reverse it may be only 1 1/2" in diameter but by rotation the forward way it would unscrew out to possibly 3" and then would retract again in reverse,

a few ideas I have,
                          Last edited by BHD; 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM.
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

barry, i knew that if someone was going to come up with the design, it would be you

the way to do it is as bhd said. forward it would thread open and reverse it would thread closed. a pretty simple design.

of course just a stronger spring is all that's needed to the already designed 4x6 expanding cutter. i've used electrical tape to tie the cutters closed and then as it got past the smaller pipe, the tape would wear off and the cutter would expand.

the spring being a stronger design, would allow for more aggressive cutting. right now it's considered a finishing cutter and therefore not an agressive cutter. that's why there's no teeth on the cutter. the cutter was designed for the hight speed of the sectional machine and the spinning force tends to keep it open.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I like where you're going with this. Maybe a spring can be set up to where the cutter would be retracted automatically and a bear trap style center that would cause it to expand so it's only expanding when it reaches a clog.

Or a spring that retractable the cutter blade but just the right tension to open the cutter blades when the cable is spinning at full speed. Then again that would require slow speeds until the cutter is maneuvered through any bends.
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X