Unclog toilets for a little cash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unclog toilets for a little cash

Hello I'm a first year apprentice and I do mostly new construction comm & ind. never done res.

I want to make a little bit of money on the side installing toilets and uncloging them and fixing them in gen.

my question is what can go wrong when snaking a toilet.
    I've done this only once.

Re: Unclog toilets for a little cash

Originally posted by BigD3129 View Post
    Hello I'm a first year apprentice and I do mostly new construction comm & ind. never done res.

I want to make a little bit of money on the side installing toilets and uncloging them and fixing them in gen.

How are you going to be "snaking" them ?

Comment

with a closet auger

Comment

Don't get too aggressive over torquing the cable or using too much downward pressure. You could blow the side of the trap out

Comment

Originally posted by BigD3129 View Post

Being a unlicensed plumber also being only a first year apprentice Installing toilets and repairing toilets is not a good idea for you or the customer.
          New construction is one thing "it's new" No surprises and your working under your bosses licence and insurance. Residential is a can of worms of it's own bad flanges rotted floors, leaks no business insurance no licence not a good idea for your customers it may come back to bite you.
          Only clearing toilets and not being able to provide full service makes you look bad Customer calls for a toilet and it turns out to be a main line then what? I'm not trying to put down your idea's of making extra cash just letting you know it's not that simple.
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

UnclogNH speaks the truth.

There is a lot of potential liability with service work.

Be careful, cautious and protect your professional integrity.

Invest in quality tools. Try practicing on your own toilet maybe.

Every toilet will "feel" a little different when trying to pass through the trap.

(A new Kohler Wellworth may be trickier to pass than a 10 year old American standard cadet, and a Crane Drexel in sky blue from 1954 may mystify all 3 of your closet augers (including my secret weapon K-50 with the C-7 cable)

Comment

a simple toilet stoppage is dealt with a good plunger 95% of the time. unless they flushed gi joe or barbie down the toilet.

of course if the shower or tub are also backed up, a plunger or closet auger is a waste.

i was in the same position as you. did new construction during the day and service on my time. but that was back in the the mid 70's and early 80's. before you needed to worry about lawyers, mold and liability.

i suggest you get insured if you plan on covering your

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X