X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jumping Secrets?

Originally posted by handybull View Post
    Gene what was the hard way?
    Just the way the place was set up made option 2 a PIA.
    Had to drain the system, set up tarps, move a bunch of things, snake overhead, pump the drained water back into the system when done etc..

I think I jinxed ourselves when I saw option #1 by saying "oh, no problem. this is going to be easy. We'll be in and out"

It really was not that bad but option #1 would have been soooo much easier.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
      Sorry J.C .Had to do it.....I went on a call yesterday. Basement drain for a laundry tub. 1 1/2" DWV copper .k-60 5/8" cables. I have every head known to man. Not happening . The waste arm hit a 90 that turned right into a dwv t wye.. I tried different heads while the home owner was watching carefully. Don't worry I have all kinds of secret weapons.See that cable there..Out came the reverse auger. I got things flowing quick, fast, and in a hurry. Then I have a bulb auger that has a nice bend in it .Not sure how that happened. Ran that puppy . Then hooked up a hose to the laundry tray faucet and power flushed it. Hooked the drain back up and Woooshhhh! Coreolis in full effect..You could hear that drain sucking all the way upstairs. That cable is wort it's weight in gold. So is my 7/8"
      Thanks. Might have to cut the end off of a cable soon. Just hate to damage something that is functioning as it is. No old damaged cables to do it with....yet.

J.C.

Comment

if the reverse auger couldn't get through the bend, nothing will.

the trick is the bend at the end and run it in a forward rotation so that the reverse hook actually slips and not grabs. once through, run the cable in the reverse rotation and you've got a giant corkscrew.

3 '' pvc 90 should not be an issue. heck, i get the micro drain through 1.5'' pvc pressure 90's as in pool lines

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Thanks. Might have to cut the end off of a cable soon. Just hate to damage something that is functioning as it is. No old damaged cables to do it with....yet.

J.C.
          Just buy a new cable and replace one of your older ones. That's easy .The 5/8" are around $20.00 . It's only money right? Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.TRust me there will be a lot more of this and a lot less of this Like Rick said if the reverse auger won't get it nothing will. My only problem is I have been running mine in reverse going in and coming out..So far no issues
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
            Just buy a new cable and replace one of your older ones. That's easy .The 5/8" are around $20.00 . It's only money right? Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.TRust me there will be a lot more of this and a lot less of this Like Rick said if the reverse auger won't get it nothing will. My only problem is I have been running mine in reverse going in and coming out..So far no issues
            Just regained consciousness after reading that. Taking it all in now.

J.C.

Comment

Me too. Makes that front end jump through the turn. That's a conduit 90 though. I haven't ran into one of those before. Makes the sectional pull and push like he!! at times.

J.C.
              What, exactly, is that 90?

it looks tighter than a usual dwv one, and the 'conduit' I know of is electrical conduit, and it's grey, and comes in nice long sweeps.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

could it be black abs pipe and a 3'' vent 90

i think the lighting from the microexplorer makes it look greyish

but you're right. an electrical conduit pvc grey 90 would be a long sweep with only 1 built in coupling.

why anyone would use a vent 90 is beyond me when there's all the room to install a 1/4 bend. plus vent 90 is more expensive and snaking a 90 is more difficult than a 1/4 bend

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

That's probably the only 90 the installer had left and that vent was probably the last part of the job. I've seen people do things I don't agree with just because they're short on materials and don't want to make the extra trip to get it done right. What does he care, right? He's only there to install it, he doesn't have to worry about snaking the line.
                  Ideal Plumbing

Comment

If you look at a CI closet bend, there is no sweep to it. So, essentially a CI closet bend is a "vent" 90 with no sweep. That fitting looks like the old Clay schedule 40 or schedule 80 that preceeded the white schedule 40 that we know and love today. I see fittings like that a lot in homes remodeled and/or built in the 80's.

I have a bulb auger with a gnarly bend in it that I use for sharp bends like that.

I don't have a reverse auger, but I have a job for tomorrow that may force me to make a reverse auger to try on.

back to back tub/shower in a 20-bathroom condo on floor 7 of 16. 30 y/o building. The maintenance guys already tried rodding, twice, and only managed to create a leak into the unit below. And the unit was vacant for almost 2 years My bet is on rust/scale from the pipe sitting dry for so long, but who knows!

Should be a fun one!

-Chris

Comment

Just regained consciousness after reading that. Taking it all in now.

J.C.
                      That was funny...Breathe in breathe out. It's all good
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        could it be black abs pipe and a 3'' vent 90

i think the lighting from the microexplorer makes it look greyish

but you're right. an electrical conduit pvc grey 90 would be a long sweep with only 1 built in coupling.

why anyone would use a vent 90 is beyond me when there's all the room to install a 1/4 bend. plus vent 90 is more expensive and snaking a 90 is more difficult than a 1/4 bend

rick.
                        Yep, that's absolutely a 3" vent 90 elbow. Why use on if you're not in a tight spot? If you're in a real hurry to get the pipe installed there's no fitting allowance to subtract.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You fellas' got any "jumping secrets" for a transition like this. Had a whole place backed up and this is the bottom of the 3" vent I have for access. Wanted to whoop an auger in there but kept catching and/or wouldn't jump the turn.

Thanks.

J.C.
                          JC, What did you do with this drain?

It totally avoids the spirit of the discussion of getting around a tough turn, but since there's room for the fitting, and apparently access (based on image) why not just cut that fitting out and install a regular DWV 90? If you cut the pipe at the edge of the hub the regular 90 should fit. Since the 90 starts out flat I assume it's well above the backed up water level.

Then you go on about the business cleaning the drain? You may be back in the future and then the job will be easier.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            JC, What did you do with this drain?
                            I cleared the drain, just as asked.

It totally avoids the spirit of the discussion of getting around a tough turn, but since there's room for the fitting, and apparently access (based on image) why not just cut that fitting out and install a regular DWV 90?
                            I have sent a report of conditions with some pics to the owner in GA for them to consider. Many things wrong at this place.

If you cut the pipe at the edge of the hub the regular 90 should fit. Since the 90 starts out flat I assume it's well above the backed up water level.
                            Wrong. Sorry. The whole place was backed up to about 2' above this 90.

Then you go on about the business cleaning the drain? You may be back in the future and then the job will be easier.
                            Could be. Have told the owners this also.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Almost forgot, some asked about the 90. This area looks to be plumbed in a grey PVC. It is not Sch. 80. Looks like UV rated PVC or Conduit.

The 90 is the same dark grey material. Like a true "Vent" 90 except used at the bottom.

J.C.

Comment

If you dont have one yet, get a trap leader for your cable. Part 63090

Comment

Working...
                                X