Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke Testing What do you use?

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
    4" pvc san t, dryer flex duct taped to two ends, threaded cap on third end, blower at one flex, other to c/o or vent, smokey goes in and cap goes on and turn blower on.

don't need much pressure at all; a cheap fart fan blower does fine. I saw somewhere where a guy had it all nice and neat in a toolbox... I'll try to find the link. I've been too lazy to make it nice like that.

the few I've done have had septics, so I just blew in a c/o and blocked the tank inlet with a rag to force it to the house. on a sewer I'd blow in a vent to push it out to the street, or in a c/o and verify smoke at the vent(s).

Edit: here's the link: http://upfrontprice.com/galleryimg/smoker_intro.htm
    Much more compact than I mine. I get pics of mine up this evening, still fine tuning it.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i tested all the smoke i could get for years. i'm retired now. breid...........

Comment

Ok its not 100% done. I am going to moint the legs onto a flat board, and I was thinking of painting it flat black with some engine paint I have in the garage. I already used it once and it does the job very well.

Attached Files

Comment

I would like a smoke machine. I wish I could rent one. Hey Marvin. Clogged vent pipes from grease traps and big kicthen hoods seem to be major players in the stink that comes and goes.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            Ok its not 100% done. I am going to moint the legs onto a flat board, and I was thinking of painting it flat black with some engine paint I have in the garage. I already used it once and it does the job very well.

now thats great starting to make me think
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Around hear you have to smoke test new sewers. i have a metal coffee can and a shop vac. smoke bomb in can, can in shop vac, hose put on outlet side of shop vac and bam you have a smoke machine.

Comment

I haven't used smoke bombs yet, although I carry them for when the occasion will surely arrive.

I looked over the units and attended a presentation or two on them at the Pumper and Cleaner Show held in Louiseville, Ky. each February.

As described above, the Superior unit is essentially a metal box with a fan and some flexible ducting. I liked their system and the smoke bombs as a nice, self contained and simple system.

However, I wondered if a Shop Vac like arrangement might be work adequately by using the blower outlet? It's on my "to do list" of things to try BEFORE I have to do it live!

And, in another Ridgid recommendation, I've been very satisfied with their small portable, but mighty 5.0hp, 4 gallon vac. It fits nicely on a shelf in our trailer and has proved useful on a number of occasions....like the two tennis balls, one plastic hockey ball and one aluminum beer can that I extracted from a customer's weeping tile this summer. (I had to leave at least one ball behind as I couldn't reach it!)

See http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/WD4070-P...c/EN/index.htm

Comment

Well I finally got some fresh smoke bombs in and got to use my machine I made. It worked like a charm. Found an open 2" wye in the drop ceiling, and an open 2" 90 in a wall.

It was odd we had a halogen light up in the ceiling looking for smoke and there was none at first. The smoke was coming out of a seam in a wall. We opened the wall up and there was a 90º elbow just sitting behind the drywall with nothing attached. So we cut the 90º off and glued on a cap. Fired off a second smoke bomb this time the smoke was pouring out over the main cook area. We open the ceiling tile there to get a closer look to see a 2" wye with nothing attached to the back side. Went up there glued in a short piece of pipe and a cap. Fired of a third smoke bomb and nothing this time. We did the other vent stacks and they where fine as well.

Comment

nice when it works like a charm gives you that ataboy feeling
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

What's up with all these random fittings with nothing connected?!?!

Sounds like the inspector was too lazy to get on a ladder. I can just hear it now.

lazy inspector: "that vent for this sink connects back to the stack over there, right?" (points to a vent stack from the restrooms 20' away)

lazy plumber: "oh, yeah yeah, that's the ticket....I ran the vent all the way back over to the stack."

lazy inspector: "ok, that's good cause I hate ladders." (walks away)

lazy plumber grins and evil grin

Comment

The one in the wall was cut off and pointing towards a walk in cooler, and the open wye up top i have no idea, the socket was super clean.

Comment

I go to the local rental place and rent a dance fogger...get on roof and plumb in a roof vent...works pretty good for me...
                          Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                          You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
                            We always tell the local fire brigade before we use our Hurlcon smoker. We used to have a jet fired smoker but it was really hard to start up.
                            The city will do a smoke test for free here and we always call the fire department to notify.

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                            Around hear you have to smoke test new sewers. i have a metal coffee can and a shop vac. smoke bomb in can, can in shop vac, hose put on outlet side of shop vac and bam you have a smoke machine.
                            Best idea I've heard yet. Good post!

Comment

I have a fog machine and did not think of trying it. But the machine I built worked perfect. I got to the point where I was pumping smoke in the stack and after fixing the leaks it came out of the manhole.

FYI TM when you make posts all I see is this.
                              This message is hidden because TheMaster is on your ignore list.
                              So if you are expecting a response from me sorry will not happen.

Comment

I made one out of a metal garbage can and a pile of colored firework smoke bombs.... and a leaf blower with dryer hose between the two. Worked great but then the city guy told me if I ever needed a test done to call them and they will do it fo me

Comment

Working...
                                X