X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke Testing What do you use?

Had another sewer odor job. Looked for the obvious dried out or siphoned out traps. Open clean outs, loose water closets, no luck. They have an outside clean out, just outside the building. So I attached my smoke machine to the clean out loaded up a 3 minute smoke bomb and let it loose. Looked all around did not see any smoke right away, but I did smell smoke. I opened the ceiling tiles on the drop ceiling and noticed that the smoke was coming in around the vent pipe and the opening in the roof.

Went on the roof, and it was a flat roof with a lead and fiber flashing that was folded over into the vent pipe. What was happening is the building has a negative pressure and it was drawing air in from under the folded part of the flashing back into the building. So I peeled back the flashing and used an all weather caulk on the outside of the pipe between the flashing, and refolded the flashing. Ran the smoke test again, and no more smoke/odors being pulled in at that point anymore.

This is the first time I seen odors come in from the flashing like that. Have any of you guys seen anything like that before?
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Re: Smoke Testing What do you use?

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Had another sewer odor job. Looked for the obvious dried out or siphoned out traps. Open clean outs, loose water closets, no luck. They have an outside clean out, just outside the building. So I attached my smoke machine to the clean out loaded up a 3 minute smoke bomb and let it loose. Looked all around did not see any smoke right away, but I did smell smoke. I opened the ceiling tiles on the drop ceiling and noticed that the smoke was coming in around the vent pipe and the opening in the roof.

Went on the roof, and it was a flat roof with a lead and fiber flashing that was folded over into the vent pipe. What was happening is the building has a negative pressure and it was drawing air in from under the folded part of the flashing back into the building. So I peeled back the flashing and used an all weather caulk on the outside of the pipe between the flashing, and refolded the flashing. Ran the smoke test again, and no more smoke/odors being pulled in at that point anymore.

This is the first time I seen odors come in from the flashing like that. Have any of you guys seen anything like that before?
      Yes I have at a restaurant. I sealed it with tar on the outside and silicone from the inside.

Comment

Working...
      X