X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'oh!! (while hand slaps forehead!)

Yesterday I went to clean out a main sewer line for a fellow plumber. It's in an old building on the intersection of two high traffic main streets, and one not so busy street. (five corners).

One face of the building is off the road the distance of a commercial sidewalk. The other face of the building is set back with some artwork and architectual fluff. In the getting down stairs I got turned around or sideways.

So.... I ran a 100' of main sewer line down a 35' lateral. (I kept expecting to hit some resistance. IE: The plug.) I hit no significant resistance. None that is untill I tried to retrieve the cable. D'OH!!

The sewer is an old brick job, 24" x 32". So naturally the cable twisted back on itself subsequently grief and anxiety ensued. The good news is I did get the cable out, sadly, after it broke. (I love the Spartan 2001 which totally protected me during the breakage!) The cable has some kinks now. I'm going to make a couple shorter cables for the spare tire and toss the rest.

Moral of the story is determine the length of the line you're running. Don't allow yourself to get turned around.
    Attached Files
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: D'oh!! (while hand slaps forehead!)

I bet deep down the little voice in you head said your snaking to far.
    Glad you got your cable out.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

amazing you got it out the 4'' c/o

i bet next time you will attempt to camera and get a distance

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        amazing you got it out the 4'' c/o

i bet next time you will attempt to camera and get a distance

rick.

Rick, The first thing I did was run the camera. Want to see the pic of the poop which stopped the camera head? The snake went through the same poop pile like nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Yesterday I went to clean out a main sewer line for a fellow plumber. It's in an old building on the intersection of two high traffic main streets, and one not so busy street. (five corners).

One face of the building is off the road the distance of a commercial sidewalk. The other face of the building is set back with some artwork and architectual fluff. In the getting down stairs I got turned around or sideways.

So.... I ran a 100' of main sewer line down a 35' lateral. (I kept expecting to hit some resistance. IE: The plug.) I hit no significant resistance. None that is untill I tried to retrieve the cable. D'OH!!

The sewer is an old brick job, 24" x 32". So naturally the cable twisted back on itself subsequently grief and anxiety ensued. The good news is I did get the cable out, sadly, after it broke. (I love the Spartan 2001 which totally protected me during the breakage!) The cable has some kinks now. I'm going to make a couple shorter cables for the spare tire and toss the rest.

Moral of the story is determine the length of the line you're running. Don't allow yourself to get turned around.
          Mr Geno,

Before you start chopping your cable up give this a try. Get a 3 lb hammer and a metal plate or block to use like an anvil. Have the kink point upward towards the sky over the metal plate. while lifting the cable putting some stress on the kink and to cause the arch to be a little off the plate. Now pound the kink with the hammer as you are lifting the cable, do this till it is some what straight again. The kink will not be a huge issue anymore it might be a slight wave.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

WOW ! What an adventure
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

How did the Spartan 2001 protect you ?

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Mr Geno,

Before you start chopping your cable up give this a try. Get a 3 lb hammer and a metal plate or block to use like an anvil. Have the kink point upward towards the sky over the metal plate. while lifting the cable putting some stress on the kink and to cause the arch to be a little off the plate. Now pound the kink with the hammer as you are lifting the cable, do this till it is some what straight again. The kink will not be a huge issue anymore it might be a slight wave.
                I already got the kinks out to a point where I could reload the drum and use it to run the cable again after all, I still had to clean the line. I used a hammer to straighten but not a 3 lb. I plan to discard the cable anyway. I can't trust a cable after it's been kinked since the cable's weakened at that point, and this cable has three good kinks in 50'. I'll feel safer with another cable. (And I intentionally kink the leader to get it to whip. So go figure.)

I'll tell you what, if you want the cable, Ron, I'll bring it with to Chicago when we get the pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                  How did the Spartan 2001 protect you ?
                  Asstyme: The Spartan drum is fairly tightly wound. The drum is constructed of aluminum and is completely enclosed. The front of the drum has only a few small ~2" diameter circular openings. The "inner drum" guides the cable out and leaves no space for cable to escape the drum itself. I was using the plastic cable guide and had it actually shoved down into the cleanout to protect the threads of the CO. (cheap ABS cleanout). When the cable snapped there was simply a loud bang as the tension was released. The drum absorbed all the energy.

Many snakes I've used will allow the cable out of the front if the cable twists. The inner drum helps prevent the twisting.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pizza!!!!!Did someone say pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i`am in.............

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post

sorry to here about that glad to see you got the cable out , even more happy to here that you didnt get hurt my first year in plumbing I was rodding a main to a house and I didnt walk the sewer to streat to get apx length after rodding 80' my cable bound a little then SNAP there went the cable and my thumb I didnt have that front guide hose and the city sewer was only 25' in front of there house but what did it was they had the man hole in there driveway
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Mr Geno,

I have a 300 lb. ships anvil in My shop,
                        I'll overnite it , Geno
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          I have a 300 lb. ships anvil in My shop,
                          I'll overnite it , Geno
                          You're a very thoughtful fellow. Apparently VERY successful too.

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                            my cable bound a little then SNAP there went the cable and my thumb

I haven't snapped a cable as of yet (knocking on wood) but am wondering. You say the cable "bound a little then snap", I would think you would have to torque the shitz out of a larger main line cable for it to snap ? Can you not tell/avoid when it's ready to break ? Operator error or something that's going to happen sooner or later ?
                            Last edited by AssTyme; 11-20-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              I haven't snapped a cable as of yet (knocking on wood) but am wondering. You say the cable "bound a little then snap", I would think you would have to torque the shitz out of a larger main line cable for it to snap ? Can you not tell/avoid when it's ready to break ? Operator error or something that's going to happen sooner or later ?
                              The pressure was tremendous I'm sure. After all, something slows the drum down and it's not hopes and dreams. The problem is it pressure built up both in both directions. Since the 2001 has an electric brake when the power is removed the drum resists rotation. Thus it's hard to tell when there's no tension on the cable. I wanted no tension so I could try and pull by hand. Timing is everything though. After the cable snapped I knew the tension was relieved. I was fortunate to be able to pull the cable out by hand. I thought I was going to have to use a come along or such to try and get it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X