Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I worth it?

    Hey guys, Advice please. Am I worth getting paid even I can't dislodge or discover the cause of a plugged drain line? Hint: I have an angry customer.

  • #2
    Re: Am I worth it?

    more info would be great

    I will always charge for a job mainlines . But I might not charge full price if I can’t figure it out.

    That’s why a camera and locator are a must have.

    If it is a smaller pipe 1 ½ - 2” old cast or copper I always charge.

    Just my 2 cents worth
    Sent From The StoolBus

    www.appletondrainandsewer.com

    Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Am I worth it?

      No
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Am I worth it?

        if i'm brought in for a second or third opinion, i will charge as i already know there is a chance it's not going to work and i explain it to them in advance.

        but typically i don't charge on a common stoppage that i can't get through. the most common would be a fixture drain that the cable goes up and not down.

        but this is a rarity and is less than 1 time per year.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Am I worth it?

          If I can not get the line open, in most cases I can tell why I can not(collapsed, broken pipe). I explain to the owner that they paid me to stick my rod in their drain and try to open it. When I pull the rod back and I see that the cutter is all shinned up (collapsed pipe or full of gravel), or full of clay (broken pipe cutter left the pipe), that they know two things that did not know before I stuck my cable in their line. First is the distance of the approximate distance where the problem is and second they have a broken or collapsed pipe. Now they have to pay me for my time spent. As my father always says "Labor is never free"
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Am I worth it?

            Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            If I can not get the line open, in most cases I can tell why I can not(collapsed, broken pipe). I explain to the owner that they paid me to stick my rod in their drain and try to open it. When I pull the rod back and I see that the cutter is all shinned up (collapsed pipe or full of gravel), or full of clay (broken pipe cutter left the pipe), that they know two things that did not know before I stuck my cable in their line. First is the distance of the approximate distance where the problem is and second they have a broken or collapsed pipe. Now they have to pay me for my time spent. As my father always says "Labor is never free"
            I like Your Dad ! I'll remember this moving forward
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Am I worth it?

              I told the customer I get paid for my time. It was a Saturday. I didn't charge a higher rate. I used my Rigid 400 1/2" @75' and a General with 5/8" @100' both twice full length and no progress. He didn't want to pay me to try again. The next day he hired a company who cleared the line with a 1/2" cable@75' on the first shot.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Am I worth it?

                what type of line ?

                Originally posted by Blue Plumber View Post
                I told the customer I get paid for my time. It was a Saturday. I didn't charge a higher rate. I used my Rigid 400 1/2" @75' and a General with 5/8" @100' both twice full length and no progress. He didn't want to pay me to try again. The next day he hired a company who cleared the line with a 1/2" cable@75' on the first shot.
                Sent From The StoolBus

                www.appletondrainandsewer.com

                Appleton WI, 54915
                1-920-284-7471

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Am I worth it?

                  Originally posted by Blue Plumber View Post
                  Hey guys, Advice please. Am I worth getting paid even I can't dislodge or discover the cause of a plugged drain line? Hint: I have an angry customer.

                  No....If a drain cannot be cleared due to tech or plumber error then I don't think there should be a charge.
                  If the line cannot be cleared due to break, crushed sewer then yes because have spent the time to diagnose the drain problem. If another company came in and cleared the problem fast then you were doing something wrong and should not charge.
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                  Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Am I worth it?

                    Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                    what type of line ?
                    Yeah, thats what I'm wondering?
                    Sounds like a main. 3", 4" ? If thats the case I'm not so sure K-400 is the right tool for the job.

                    That would kind of be like nailing roofing shingles with a pair of pliers and expecting more $ because it took so long.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Am I worth it?

                      Originally posted by Blue Plumber View Post
                      The next day he hired a company who cleared the line with a 1/2" cable@75' on the first shot.

                      Ouch !!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Am I worth it?

                        If it was a sewer line the 1/2" cable was small

                        But the other co used the same size cable
                        It could have been a paper slurry almost ready to flow and the 2nd crew gave it the final stir

                        If it was outside I would have put the blow bag in the line and gave it a push before i gave up

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Am I worth it?

                          If I can't get a line open, I DO NOT charge anything, as I didn't fix the problem they called me out for.

                          I don't have extensive drain equipment like some of you guys have, and once in a while it bites you in the a$$ by not having the right tool for the job.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Am I worth it?

                            The next day he hired a company who cleared the line with a 1/2" cable@75' on the first shot.
                            But you loosened it up for him.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Am I worth it?

                              im not sure how long you have been doing this work but if i ran into a problem where i could not fix something i would not walk away .i would ask some other people to help even if i had to pay for there time . this way i would not loose a customer and they might tell friends that you hung in there to finish the job

                              some times you have to loose a little and you will get back 2 times as much with the next call from them
                              Charlie

                              My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                              http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                              new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X