X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Walked Away From A Job Today...

Sadly It was my first time having to do so.

I get this call yesterday from a price shopper wanting his main line cleared. After calling back he says he wanted it done today because that's when he gets paid. I thought fine, at least he's going to pay me right away.

I get there today, him and a few of his white trash friends are out in the driveway stuffing his rotted out 1970's Ford pickup FULL of garbage. He tells me he can't pay me until tomorrow and says if it goes over the quoted price to pullout and go home. He says he already took the cleanout plug off for me (thank you) in the basement. He tells me he's leaving, his wife tells me to pull around back by the basement door.

I'm already having second thoughts............

I grab my bucket from the van and enter the house where his wife greets me in her jammies. There is a make shift basement door made from plywood with a bent nail holding it shut. She tells me she never goes down there it's too spooky.

She opens the door and at first I didn't think there were any stairs !!! After walking right up to the ledge I then see there is a set of home made ones that are steeper than Mt. Washington !!! I also hear water running and of course there is no basement light.

Now I'm really having second thoughts............

I grab my flashlight and CAREFULLY proceed down the mouse/rat feces infested stairs. I get to the bottom and shine towards the sound of running water. One of the two water heaters is pouring water from the discharge tube onto the old dirt floor. On the opposite wall I see the cleanout that's coming out of the wall about 4 feet off the floor. Looks like the plug has been removed for weeks, crap all over everywhere !!!

OK, now I gotta go !!!

I carefully get back up the stairs and tell the lady, "I'm sorry I'm not equipped to do this job".

I'm the hell outta there (van burning rubber) and on to my next job ASAP !!!

Re: I Walked Away From A Job Today...

You have to draw the line somewhere.

Don't blame you one bit

Comment

i lovr those jobs.
      i charge a dumb *** fee.
      like $100.00 cash on hand to even start
      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

i'm glad i don't advertise

plus we have very few basements

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Sometimes it is best to just follow your gut and run.

Hope your next job was not to far from the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Sadly It was my first time having to do so.

I get this call yesterday from a price shopper wanting his main line cleared. After calling back he says he wanted it done today because that's when he gets paid. I thought fine, at least he's going to pay me right away.

I get there today, him and a few of his white trash friends are out in the driveway stuffing his rotted out 1970's Ford pickup FULL of garbage. He tells me he can't pay me until tomorrow and says if it goes over the quoted price to pullout and go home. He says he already took the cleanout plug off for me (thank you) in the basement. He tells me he's leaving, his wife tells me to pull around back by the basement door.

I'm already having second thoughts............

I grab my bucket from the van and enter the house where his wife greets me in her jammies. There is a make shift basement door made from plywood with a bent nail holding it shut. She tells me she never goes down there it's too spooky.

She opens the door and at first I didn't think there were any stairs !!! After walking right up to the ledge I then see there is a set of home made ones that are steeper than Mt. Washington !!! I also hear water running and of course there is no basement light.

Now I'm really having second thoughts............

I grab my flashlight and CAREFULLY proceed down the mouse/rat feces infested stairs. I get to the bottom and shine towards the sound of running water. One of the two water heaters is pouring water from the discharge tube onto the old dirt floor. On the opposite wall I see the cleanout that's coming out of the wall about 4 feet off the floor. Looks like the plug has been removed for weeks, crap all over everywhere !!!

OK, now I gotta go !!!

I carefully get back up the stairs and tell the lady, "I'm sorry I'm not equipped to do this job".

I'm the hell outta there (van burning rubber) and on to my next job ASAP !!!
            Did they have little kids?
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
              Did they have little kids?

I didn't see any kids or toys.

Comment

I did one of those jobs and got a bad check

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22601
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

That sounds like a wise move.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

A phone estimate can always be changed if the job is materially different from what I was told on the phone. When I get that feeling the tools don't come off the truck until the money is there.
                    P.S. this sounds like an opportunity, with those conditions I would have to charge for a second man and a hazard fee to get up and down the stairs
                    Last edited by plumberinlaw; 12-01-2010, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Would've done the same thing, and then thought man I should have left when the guy said he couldn't pay me till tomorrow...
                      Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                      Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

See Ya!
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You probably saved yourself from a huge headache. You have to have a limit to how much crap (no pun intended) you'll go through to get a job done.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Jobs where I hear "I get paid on-" I instantly turn down.

I want the clientell that doesn't have that restriction to spend, even though I'm that exact type of person right now.

If something goes wrong, like extra work, then we know where it goes from there. I won't even show up in the driveway. Those who are persistent, I'll tell them I'll be there and never show up.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                            X