Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collapsed sewer?

i love it when a new customer calls and says his sewer is collapsed

in 35 years i've had less than a handful that i couldn't get open. but i don't think i've come across a true collapsed line

so yesterday the new customer starts telling me his beverly hills guest house has a collapsed sewer and the main house is fine

he tells me he's lived there 12 years and that the same drain cleaning company and tech comes every year. says he hit mud and the line is collapsed i told him i'll be there in the morning

so i see the 3'' wall no hub test tee. i figure i'll camera the line first to see the collapse. at 9'4'' in i see heavy roots. grab the 1.25'' timberwolf and 2'' pear cutter to try and cut through the stoppage. run 18' and seems ok. so i camered and line is plugged around 19'. go at it again and can't pass 20'. owner comes home and shows me the paperwork from the other guy. he too was stuck at 20' so i put my 3'' rootsaw and sharpen the teeth with the dremel. 15 minutes later the line is flowing and the no hub is clean as a whistle. the house main was at 21' and city 6'' clay was at 31'. city saddle at 42'.

from what i can see and tell is the 4x6'' cast to clay connection had the roots that grew into the 4'' line and eventually to the 3'' guest house line. every year they snaked the main, they never truly cut out the roots on the top of the pipe. since the guest house never really had guest, the roots ran amuck

now i have the video and the proof there is no collapsed line. and i probably have the new customer for life

even had my x-boss over to watch. he lives 2 doors away.

with the right tools and gut feeling, i knew i would succeed

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: collapsed sewer?

Very nice Rick! It's fun when a job comes together like that and you not only show that you know what you are doing but you win a customer for life AND anyone he happens to tell!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

A passion for the task at hand is the difference! Did You root x ?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

not at this time. rootx requires that you either apply it within 2 hours of cutting or 6 weeks. since the other guy was there days earlier and i was there yesterday, we need to wait. plus with a house keeper doing laundry, i need to clear a 4-6 hour window

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

How does root x work ? And at what point do you recommend it to a customer? Thanks
          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

One thing on Rootx in Seattle I have to set it in the line when there is no rain because so many of the rain leaders flow to the combined sewer. It is hard enough to get tenants to not use water in a time window but I also have to go by the weather.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I am writing the second post here on this forum (obviously I am new here). I don't have much experience in plumbing because I am working since not more than 1 year. Rick I am happy for you. Read your full story and got some confidence in me. I would appreciate if you post the update on this topic. Thanks.
              "Do What You Want"
              plumbing houston

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                How does root x work ? And at what point do you recommend it to a customer? Thanks
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                  Sorry, I have been very busy this last few weeks.

RootX is a foaming root control product that will kill tree roots in sewer, septic and storm drains and is EPA approved for all three applications. RootX is a two part powder that is mixed together and foams on contract with water. To apply RootX you mix the two components together and then add 3-5 five gallons of water per lb of RootX. Different variables call for different applications such as diameter of the pipe, pipe length, grade and so on. That is why we recommend that RootX is applied by a professional so that the correct application can be completed. We also recommend that the line is snaked or jetted prior to the application so that the line has flow. RootX is a maintenance product not a drain opener and is not acidic so you do need to open the line before the application. RootX basically kills the roots and keeps them from coming back with a yearly application. I hope that answers your questions.

Dan Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                  X