X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of those weird drains

I had this happen once before and the jetter got the line working when nothing else would. Job = 75ft side sewer so full of water up the stack it had pressure, let pressure out slowly and pumped the water from the basement, entered the 4" line and cable went out smooth no motor needed (k-60 basement so crowded it was like a maze to get thru no drum machine space) 32ft hit resistance only way past it was using reverse to screw my way out, get out 15 more feet and it's smooth again going out so thats my trouble spot. Get lucky sewer manhole is right next to house downstream. I can see my cutter head in the manhole but the water level inside has not dropped. Snake cable and head come back clean no roots, no dirt etc. Run this 6 times with different blades,spade,C blade,single blade and no change.
    Last time this happened I installed a cleanout outside and plugged the house side and jetted it and it all flowed away. was a major seperation and the dirt was like pancake batter that just sucked around the cable like goo. So this time I told the customer it was dig up time because my thinking is if the seperation is that big it will just happen again even if my jetter can clear the line. Pipe is 6ft down with no machine access so it won't be easy or cheap I will use my vacuum excavator and crew. I don't like to push dig ups when not needed but I feel it is. Sure wish I could see in that mucky water with my camera but the only thing it is doing for me is stopping at the point my snake was and showing me the depth and spot in the yard.
    Any thing I am not putting in my thought process? The customer can't believe I can't clear the line with a snake and is having another company or 2 come tomorrow to check it out for her. And yes I tried a really bent cable to whip it up but still no water past.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: One of those weird drains

any way to pull a rope or wire rope back with your snake from the manhole. this way you can run the jetter back up to the house and jet it clean.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

after you pull your cable out you could try a pressure bag

Comment

Originally posted by plumberinlaw View Post
        My thoughts too

Comment

Its open it needs a push

Comment

Could also be backgraded but you prolly would have noticed that the cable was black and especially stinky.

Comment

Should of duct taped a rag to your cutter.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

All the rain leaders are tied to the system I tried the blow bag (sorry forgot to write that)
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                  All the rain leaders are tied to the system I tried the blow bag (sorry forgot to write that)
                  Yea, getting weird now.

Do you guys have running traps there?

Comment

This is where the small electric jetters shine. I have a Old Viking 1 HP that does 1200 PSI @ 2 GPM. In this case its nor the pressure or the GPM , its getting the water right at the blockage. I have a 3/8" hose by 100' that I use on the inside clean outs on lines like this. As you start going in it will back up of course but you push it in hard and fast, till you get to the point where the water stops backing up, then slowly pull it back till it starts to back up again. Once you got it to the point where if you push in a few inches it stops backing up and pull back and it starts, you want to work that spot back and forth to help get the sludge moving along. In most cases it takes less than 10 minutes.

Before small jetters, my father always made sure he sent the largest cutter he can, then did the rag trick, and if that did not work he broke out a garden hose and a hand rod.

The hand rod is the old flat tape with a two inch swivel ball on the end by 125' long, he tape the end of the garden hose to the hand rod and turn it on. Then start pushing it out till the water stopped backing up, he pull back and find the sweet spot (where it backs up when pulled back and stops when pushed in a few inches) and work that spot till the line blew open.

He talked to Marvin at AJ Colman about someone should make a sewer rod with a hose inside the cable so you can have water at the cutting head to help move grease and sludge along like how he taped the hose to the hand rod. A few years later National Rods came out with the first ever Cable Jetter, it was huge bulky and a royal pain to get on and off the truck let alone the job site. But it did exactly what he wanted. It was only 800 PSI but @ 3 GPM It used a cast iron duplex pump, the same as the first Mustang Jetters did.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      That's interesting to me. Here it's illegal to dump rain water into sewer and vice versa.

We live on swamp land here and the ground is constantly shifting and sinking. This leads to a lot of sagging pipes especially if the old hangers have broken or new hangers are more than 4ft apart (ABS/PVC). The toilet paper and grease piles into these sags forming a thick muck. I've sucked out 4 inch by 10 foot tubes of sewer and/or grease muck into city cleanouts with the jet going upstream.

My personal rule is if one cable run doesn't work I switch to mini jet. Too many times I've fought with lines with towel mops, whips, and pressure bags. I go straight to my mini jet now.

Of course limited by access as always. We don't have too many basements here.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

If you can get a cable through it, you can get it open enough to get some drainage. May take time and be frustrating, but it can be done. It probably needs to be dug up anyway, but getting some drainage will let you jet enough to clean it up enough to see what's up with a camera.

I always like a smoking gun on video before I tell someone to dig; A few more hours of my time to know for sure is almost always justified given the expense and disruption of a dig, and getting any kind of poor drainage will buy them some time to keep the building up and running to schedule the dig. So the value for your extra time is almost always there for the customer.

I've learned to STAY WITH THESE and get them to some sort of resolution. You say it needs dug, and walk, and the other guys get it open after you've softened it up, and you look like a fool even if you were right in the end and three weeks later you drive by and see a hoe there. But, you put the time in, even risking doing it for free, and show what is wrong and what needs done about it, and you are a drain god, and it all becomes billable again instead of you walking away from a 4 hr investment and questioning yourself.

Also, re jetting despite it still not draining, I've done more than one where I just go ahead and jet. If the flood is not possible, then set up a bucket or something to catch your water and a sump pump to throw it out of harms way.
                        Last edited by Ace Sewer; 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                        X