X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PITA Tub drain

Snaked a tub drain last week. For the small stuff I use my adapter spool for my k50 on my k60 now. I had one bit** of a time getting through the trap . I was using the 5/16" cable with the drop head auger. The only other small cable I have is the 3/8" with the male adapter for using different gutters. The owner called said that some bull s*** home inspector said the tub drain was still draining too slow..And the house settles tomorrow..I didn't think it was draining that bad . 60 year old house with galvy drain lines..This sucks any ideas
    Last edited by OLD1; 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: PITA Tub drain

Kinetic Water Ram

Comment

If you managed to get the 5/16" drophead through the trap and all the way into the closet bend that is about all you can do.

If you have to cut the trap out to run the 5/8" with a spade head then you might as well repipe the whole damn thing. But maybe that's what the new owner wants

Just to make sure you didn't miss anything, snake the tub shoe as well.

I've had maginal sucess using a plunger when the tub won't drain well.

Comment

if you got a 5/16'' drop head bulb auger into the and past the trap. then you should have no problem getting the 5/8'' reverse auger through the line.

but remember that tubs are 1.5'' and they will not drain as fast as a shower.

you might also try some drain acid

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

This is why I hate doing work when a house sale is in the works. Did it drain when you 1st got there? Did it drain when you left? Who knows how well it has drained for the last 20 years and now you have to return to try again? gimmie a break. even though I have seen items just move in the line when 1st snaked then return to a partial clog after the line has been used a few times. Have Ace go over there with his mini jetter and descale that line lol.
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

And the way I would handle it is " yes I am on my way" then when I get there I would test the line actually time it the snake it again and see if there was improvement. If there was then oh well it needed snaking again if no improvement the it would either get mini jetted at an extra cost or cut out lol.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Not big on snaking here, but with tub drains, I run shower before starting to gauge the problem.

Snake, then run shower to gauge improvement.

On old galvy or CI drainage, warn customer before starting, sometimes the constriction from rust will still slow drainage even when the snake passes through.

Galvy, the worst stuff on Earth, for drains.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                Kinetic Water Ram
                This

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

cover the overflow, suck it out with a shop vac.

Comment

Yeah I'll probably be heading back over there this a.m. . I will be trying all of the above lol.Will let you all know what worked. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Well went back there this a.m. loaded for bear. I immediately attacked the supposed slow draining 2nd floor tub drain. Left the spools in the truck and pulled out the 5/8" reverse auger. That puppy struggled a bit but I coaxed (forced) her on through. Ran an additional section (15' total ) through the waste arm and into the 4". Didn't seem to drain a whole lot better but said to myself thats all they get.
                      Then proceded to attack the supposed slow draining 1st floor tub drain.Ran the water heard some gurgling , reverse augered it still seemed to drain a wee bit slow. Undid the drain on the pedestal figuring if it was a venting issue clearing the wet loop should do it. Still didn't seem to be a venting issue Put the pedestal drain back together. The tub seems to drain fine , again NOt like a brand new install with PVC piping, but more like a 60 yr. old house with galvy piping .
                      Still sounds like the tub wants to draw air from the overflow, not a gurgle like a stoppage though. Anyhow in my opinion that tub is draining sufficiently as well.
                      Was contacted by the property manager that the settlement was pushed back till later this afternoon/ evening till the bull s*** home inspector gets by there to check out the drainage issues. And was told the basement laundry tray line was slow and needed to be snaked. Reverse augered that pup as well . That bad boy was draining like a champ..

Oh and the inspector doesn't think there is a trap on the 1st floor tub drain because it is on slab and he could not see it.I explained my buddy was just there a few nights ago to replace the waste/ overflow and saw standing water in the trap seal .I said "There is a trap there you just cannot see it" "IT IS UNDER THE SLAB" WOW!!!!
                      So then he suggested to have it camerad to verify that there is a trap there..I said fine have at it

Talk about getting the life sucked outta you. I told the property manager to let me know the results of their findings. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
                        Didn't seem to drain a whole lot better but said to myself thats all they get.

It would have not taken much more effort to try a plunger or water ram. I have not been doing this very long and have already had a few tubs that have responded better to a plunger or water ram than a cable.

One job that I'll never forget was a 2nd story back to back tub/sink that ran about 10' to the closet. I cabled that damn thing several times with zero results and was about to give up. Ran out to van, grabbed plunger (didn't have my ram back then), had it open in a matter of seconds

I was both shocked and pissed that I had wasted so much time with the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                          It would have not taken much more effort to try a plunger or water ram. I have not been doing this very long and have already had a few tubs that have responded better to a plunger or water ram than a cable.

One job that I'll never forget was a 2nd story back to back tub/sink that ran about 10' to the closet. I cabled that damn thing several times with zero results and was about to give up. Ran out to van, grabbed plunger (didn't have my ram back then), had it open in a matter of seconds

I was both shocked and pissed that I had wasted so much time with the cable.

Oh I tried with a good plunger. Dont have a ram. I would be afraid it would blow apart old galvy/ cast iron pipe and joints. Nevere used one..Anyhow.I am out of it for now ..Hopefully the saga has ended

Comment

Working...
                          X