Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 inch Kitchen sink line - Time for a jetter?

Hey guys.

I got a customer with a 2 inch kitchen line (ABS coming down one floor), then connects to a 2inch glavanized Y in the basement, that then leads into cast iron.

Tried snaking with a 1/2 by 50 foot (General mini-rooter) ...passed it in 2 times, to no avail, still plugged.

When pulling the snake out, massive amount of black grease risidue.

The customer had to leave, (out of town) ..will only be back this sunday, so I am going back, this time, my truck will be equipped with the general speedrooter as well (3/4" by 75 feet), Any recommended blade / cutter?

Or at this point am I wasting my time and jetter is the only way?

Tried with the drain bladder...useless

Any help would be appreciated

*** PS *** -----Everything else seems to be working fine in the basement ...bathroom fixtures(including toilete, shower, sink), all seem to drain

Thanks
    Avellino
    Last edited by Avellino; 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM. Reason: more info

Re: 2 inch Kitchen sink line - Time for a jetter?

careful with that 3/4'' drum cable in a 2'' line. it's not the cable, that clears the line, it's the cutter choice.

try using a 4 blade cutter or a cutter with paddles. also run some water and make multiple passes.

yes a jetter is a good choice for kitchen sinks, but it can still be done with a cable and cutter.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Multiple passes it is, with several diff blades. If you say I should be able to do it with the snake & cutter combo, that is enough for me.

If I can do this with the mini-rooter 1/2 by 50 feet, without dragging in my 1000 pound drum machine (general speedrooter)...kidding on the weight obviously..but it is damn heavy ...I will be 1 happy camper

Let you know how things turn out this sunday

Appreciate your quick responses, glad you guys monitor this site.

Thanks Again!

Comment

Beat it up real good with your cutter then squirt a bunch of Dawn dish detergent into the wye cap off go up stairs and run hot water and dawn head pressure and soap may release clog. Have done it for a few times with success.
        Last edited by UnClogNH; 12-06-2010, 10:28 AM.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I will try with an arrow head cutter, and then the U-cutter. I trust you guys, and if you say it should unclog with a cable and cutter, well then that's exactly what I am going to do.

I already got the good old "if you cannot unclog it" I will not pay statement ...the fact that I repaired his leaking toilete for "free" ...bolts needed tightening (leaking from tank) is already forgotten I guess.

Nicer you are, harder you fall, I guess.

I will let you guys know how things work out on sunday ...but the fact that he already used the "not paying" statement, leaves me a little pee'd off already.

This site is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Avellino View Post
            so I am going back, this time, my truck will be equipped with the general speedrooter as well (3/4" by 75 feet), Any recommended blade / cutter?

If I were the kitchen sink and seen that coming at me I'd run like hell

Comment

The first time I ran into a kitchen sink line that would not open rodding on forward and reverse, and then using the water ram, and the line still would not open I ended up calling my father. He comes out tried everything I did we listened in the stack to ensure we where indeed rodding the whole 2" line.

After he rolled up the rod, he put the pipes together and filled both sides of the sink right to the very top. Then he went to the lady and explained to her that she has a very bad sludge blockage. He said the rod goes through the sludge like a fork goes through Jello. He then explained to her with the sink filled like it is and the sludge been stirred up by the rod, it can blow open by tomorrow if not we will have to cut the pipe open and work the blockage a little differently. As soon as he said that last line the water in the sink started to go down maybe a 1/16th of an inch, I brought this to his attention. Which he replied oh its moving it will be any second now. Then WHOOSH goes all the water.

Ever since that Job I done this a few times with great success. But the key is that you ran the rod through on forward and reverse first.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Willing to do what I can to unclog it..so will go back, try the diff cutters, try the reverse and forward.

I understand the "if you cannot unclog it, I won't pay" , really do, but is my effort not worth anything to the guy?

Thanks for the tips ..I hope it does it.

Comment

Tie a rag around your cutter to push the sludge along. after a couple or four passes try the blow bag again for about 15 minutes. When I have customers try that no pay crap I usually say: fine if you pay me double if I open it"

Comment

I really think that the 3/4" cable in a 2" drain is not a good idea. Chances are you won't be able to get it too far down the line anyway considering the 3/4" is a LOT less flexible and there just isn't room in the 2". Besides that, you also run a chance of breaking joints/pipe depending on what you put on the end of that beast.
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Blow-up bag connected to the hot washing machine connection. Its sludged up.

Comment

QUOTE=Avellino;320095]I will try with an arrow head cutter, and then the U-cutter. I trust you guys, and if you say it should unclog with a cable and cutter, well then that's exactly what I am going to do.

I already got the good old "if you cannot unclog it" I will not pay statement ...the fact that I repaired his leaking toilete for "free" ...bolts needed tightening (leaking from tank) is already forgotten I guess.

Nicer you are, harder you fall, I guess.

I will let you guys know how things work out on sunday ...but the fact that he already used the "not paying" statement, leaves me a little pee'd off already.

This site is awesome![/QUOTE]

Tell you what. I would unclog it , he WOULD pay, and then I would tell him to lose my phone number. I have told a couple good customers in the past if I cannot get it you don't have to pay me. Again these are really nice return customers and I extended that to them . Not the other way around...

Anyhow, I am sure you already cut in a nice cleanout in the stack down below.I would run my k60 sectional cables 7/8" if I could and a grease cutter blade.While you have the stack opened blast it with hot water. And collect my$ and That or you could just tell himor
                        Last edited by OLD1; 12-06-2010, 06:49 PM.
                        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Have you offered to replace the Galvy? I suggest you cut the pipe right b4 the wye. Run the biggest cable u can get in there away from the wye. Do the same thing with the wye. Run a garden hose for atleast 30 minutes in to the wye. button it all up and collect CASH payment.

Comment

If i have a good outside cl out on a long kit or washer line,
                            I dont think twice about running my 3/4" cable with a 1 1/2" spade thru it
                            If its hubbed cast it will cut the crud out of every joint in record time

Comment

You have a long sludgy line that has not been opened maybe ,ever.
                              I will hook a "thaw hose" to the faucet and trickle water as I run the line.
                              Make sure your opening it as much as you can,full diameter,creating more sludge!..
                              Run it a few times from the sink with water trickling as you snake.
                              THEN!!!!...
                              As mentioned here before ,fill the sink to the top. 8.3 pounds per gallon times 10 feet of head pressure are your good friend.If the run in the bsmt is too long you may need to re run the line to loosen up that wonderful black gunk but it can be done.
                              You did not mention...
                              1) Blades on your cable
                              2)Length under the floor

Comment

Working...
                              X