Electric Jetter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric Jetter

dan, that valve is fine. i use those and i also use a foot pedal which is more convenient and is better for jetting as it frees up your hands and acts as a dead mans safety valve plus it really helps to pulsate/ jump the hose around the turns and tight spots. you use it like a clutch pedal to open and close the water to jump the hose.

the trick with any shut off valve is to not shut it off for more than 1-2 minutes unless you have a return to tank unloader. water will heat up and unless you have a thermal relief valve you could damage your pump.

you might have to open the valve to start the machine to relive the back pressure.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

The electric I gave you the link for is undersized for this application; 3" is asking too much from a 2gpm machine. It can be made to work but it takes forever and is tough to do a good job blind (no camera). I think you are on the right track with your gas unit.

Bio-whatever is pretty much bio-b.s. in my book. There are some enzyme products that make a difference in a hugely greasy line, such as in a restaraunt. But for home use I think it pretty much a load of bs used by national chain companies to upsell a job. Blue coolaid is much cheaper and probably just as effective.

At 3" I'm assuming this is a toilet line, but the sludge you describe sounds more like kitchen sink. What fixtures does the line serve?

Regardless, you can help it with a LARGE gush of hot water once in a while, either by filling a couple buckets and dumping in the stool, or by filling the sink(s) to the brim and then cutting them loose all at once. doing that when you think about it will probably do more than bio-b.s.

If your getting the product from Dan Lawrence/rootx though, I'll have to rethink. Rootx works, and I know they make other stuff, so given my rootx experience I'd be willing to allow that their other stuff might not be junk.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I am going to stay with what i have based upon all the input from the forum.
        The line that closes up is to the back bathroom only. Would soft water be part of the problem with the clogging?
        As for the Bio clean, I purchased that based upon some of the positive comments i have read on this and other forums. I will give it an honest try and go from there.
        Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald A View Post
          Rick,

One of the bathrooms has a 3" pvc drain line which is about 55' in length and it clogs about once each year and half. The line closes up with a real heavy grey in color slime which chokes off the line. The jetter works fine for cleaning it out.
          I have had 3 different plumbers here to trouble shoot the system. Each says the system is just fine.
          It sounds like you aren't getting enough flow in that 3" line for it to be "self scouring". I think someone else suggested dumping some hot water down your toilet. Good idea imho. (Too often though and I've seen wax rings melt away) I'm not suggesting you do this.. but I would try removing water savers in the faucet aereator, and in the shower head. Try and create a situation where your toilet is flushing as much water as you can get in the tank.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Yeah, one of the plumbers i had look at the system suggested the same thing you mentioned. I have set the water closet level to the very max. I also make it a point of running water in the sink an extra long time when washing my hands, and flushing the toilet an extra time. Still have the problem. Guess I'll just have to plan on jetting the line about every 18 months, unless the Bio Clean works miracles.
            Thanks

Comment

don, 55' of 3'' pvc that's properly installed should flow freely. is there a shower that gets used in that bathroom or is it just a powder room?

has any of the plumbers ever camered the line prior to it plugging up?

a 3 year old home properly plumbed should not be causing an issue. especially with something as slick as plastic.

i would suggest to have it camered and post a link to the video for us to review. something tells me your pipe is running like a roller coaster.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                I have a shower and use it nightly. One of my neighbors owns a septic and drain cleaning business. About 18 months ago after i cleaned it i had him run a camera and he said it looked like new. It has the proper slope and no bellies anywhere.
                Thanks for the help.
                Could the slime be caused by a combination of a long run, soap, toothpaste, shampoo, and soft water?

Comment

55 inches of new 3 Inch PVC I doubt it. Head pressure from the water weight should push soft build ups out.
                  Rod
                  MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                  Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                  http://unclognh.com
                  http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

i don't sell bio-clean. have used it on 2 occasions where i could time it. both times drain was over twice as fast when measured with a stop watch. why don't i sell it? why would i want to? i make a lot more money to clean a drain than i would ever make with bio-clean. you want to sell them bio-clean put an add in the paper. by the way you can still buy it on ebay. lol. breid...........

Comment

Working...
                    X