X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Jetter

Am thinking of buying an electric jetter that pulls 19+ amps at full load. I've read several posts that say a 20 amp jetter can be a pain to find a dedicated 20 amp circuit at some homes that doesn't trip.
    I had some spray in foam insulation sprayed in my home back a few years. The company carried around a 30 amp breaker and long heavy duty extension cord and went into the breaker box and connected the ground and neutrals to the bus bars and the hot was connected to the breaker which he popped in. Seemed to work.
    Good or bad idea. I have been lurking on this site for a while and respect the opinions of the members.
    I am a home owner and this would be for my personal use.

Re: Electric Jetter

You can buy some converters from Mytee they plug into 220 outlets
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Yeah, i have seen those converters and they look like the ticket, but i would have to move my range to get at the plug.

Comment

That's the only draw back with those.
        Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

The sparky guys are pretty cavalier with opening live panels and rooting around in there. I think they are justified as they know what they are doing, or at least ought to, or at least are insured.

There is no reason you can't choose to do the same if you feel competent, though you might find out disastrously that you don't know as much as you think you do. I feel I could rig up the setup you describe and not have a problem (other than there are no open slots in my panel), but I'm no electrician. In all honesty I know just enough to make me dangerous.

New houses in this area are required to have 2 separate circuits just for the kitchen outlets. Also, a microwave hood generally gets it's own circuit, and that is typically an outlet and plug in the cabinet above it, not hardwired. If your house is at all new you might not have a problem finding an existing outlet to use.

Do you have a dryer outlet? How close is it to the kitchen? Is it less a pain to move the dryer than the stove? Would a long heavy cord and the adapter for the 220V be an option from that outlet? I'd think that would be safer than futzing in your panel every time you want to use it.

I was pulling some new circuits down to my panel as part of a remodel. I had the face off of it, and was shoving some flex down through the wall to it from above. I went downstairs to see if I could reach it yet and found my cat leaning up with front paw on the breakers in the exposed panel trying to get the 'mouse' in the wall. If he'd leaned on the buss bar instead there'd be on less cat around. Wierd stuff happens.

I dunno if this http://www.pwmall.com/p-139293-ar610...lue-clean.aspx will work for you, but it is the model I use and does not trip a 15A breaker on it's own.
          Last edited by Ace Sewer; 12-07-2010, 08:17 PM.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald A View Post
            Am thinking of buying an electric jetter that pulls 19+ amps at full load. I've read several posts that say a 20 amp jetter can be a pain to find a dedicated 20 amp circuit at some homes that doesn't trip.
            I had some spray in foam insulation sprayed in my home back a few years. The company carried around a 30 amp breaker and long heavy duty extension cord and went into the breaker box and connected the ground and neutrals to the bus bars and the hot was connected to the breaker which he popped in. Seemed to work.
            Good or bad idea. I have been lurking on this site for a while and respect the opinions of the members.
            I am a home owner and this would be for my personal use.
            If you're going to use it at your home why don't you have an electrician wire in a dedicated outlet at the locations you plan to use it? If you're willing to invest in a jetter, the outlets may be a small investment depending on where the panel is located.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

like geno said. i'm also a sparky. if you don't have breaker space use any 30a 2 pole breaker. like ac. just make sure you have ac off. i personally would get the ar610 that ace uses. in fact i plan on doing that myself. breid.............

Comment

Leaning toward having a dedicated circuit installed. I have some open slots in the box. Will look at the link provided by Ace....
                Thanks for all the response.

Comment

i would buy a gas unit and drain the gas after i use it. they are much more portable and provide more flow and higher pressure.

a 6.5hp gas will do approx 2500# at 3gpm.

electric units are ok for indoor work when you can't run a hose.

my 2 electric units are both 2 hp and will trip most 20 amp breakers after heavy use. they both do approx 1500# at 2.1 gpm.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
                    I have a Karcher pressure washer with an Amazing Machinery drain jetter conversion kit. The pressure washer is 5.5 hp, 2300 psi 2.5 gpm. This combination works great for my home use. The problem is it is a 2 man job to go outside and start and stop the washer and jet the line. I usually have my son come over and help me. Would like to do it by myself.
                    A little background on my drain problem.
                    I was a Socal resident until about 6 years ago. I retired from the Navy after 25 years, sold my house in San Diego for a profit and due to wife's family in Iowa/Illinois moved here and had a house built.
                    One of the bathrooms has a 3" pvc drain line which is about 55' in length and it clogs about once each year and half. The line closes up with a real heavy grey in color slime which chokes off the line. The jetter works fine for cleaning it out.
                    I have had 3 different plumbers here to trouble shoot the system. Each says the system is just fine.
                    I just jetted the line and purchased 4, 2lb cans of bio-clean and started a maintenance program, hopefully that will work.
                    Ace:
                    Checked out that link you provided. That unit looks very interesting, may get one.

Comment

dan you already have a good setup with the gas unit. as long as you have a shut off valve/ foot pedal, you have a good 2 minutes to shut off the machine with the valve closed and the pump bypassing before it overheats. with the shut off valve, it should only be a 1 man job.

a 3'' line will require more water than a 2'' line.

i would stick with the gas pressure washer' jetter and save your money.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I like my electric jetter but it can be a PITA Use your gas pressure washer
                        like Rick said with foot valve.
                        Rod

Comment

I'm thinking I may want to stick with what I have
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Donald A View Post
                            Rick,
                            I have a Karcher pressure washer with an Amazing Machinery drain jetter conversion kit. The pressure washer is 5.5 hp, 2300 psi 2.5 gpm. This combination works great for my home use. The problem is it is a 2 man job to go outside and start and stop the washer and jet the line. I usually have my son come over and help me. Would like to do it by myself.
                            A little background on my drain problem.
                            I was a Socal resident until about 6 years ago. I retired from the Navy after 25 years, sold my house in San Diego for a profit and due to wife's family in Iowa/Illinois moved here and had a house built.
                            One of the bathrooms has a 3" pvc drain line which is about 55' in length and it clogs about once each year and half. The line closes up with a real heavy grey in color slime which chokes off the line. The jetter works fine for cleaning it out.
                            I have had 3 different plumbers here to trouble shoot the system. Each says the system is just fine.
                            I just jetted the line and purchased 4, 2lb cans of bio-clean and started a maintenance program, hopefully that will work.
                            Ace:
                            Checked out that link you provided. That unit looks very interesting, may get one.
                            Just put a valve in the line. Use one section of hose to get where you are working and attach the valve. On the other end put the hose that you use in as the "jetter hose". No different than a wand when you let go of the handle. This isnt great for the unloader, but for once every 18 months it should be fine. You can get a valve from Water Cannon Part # 1181.00 for around twenty bucks. You will need the right quick connects too.

Comment

I have this valve that came with the conversion kit, I was afraid i would mess up the pump if i shut it off while i tended the pressure washer.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X