Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Roto-Rooter driver says company

Wednesday, August 04, 2010
    Former Roto-Rooter driver says company knew of grease dumps into Mobile sewer system

MOBILE, Ala. -- A former truck driver for Roto-Rooter in Mobile testified today that with the company's knowledge, he regularly cheated the system of removing restaurant grease by dumping it back into the city's sewer system.

Michael Edington, who has pleaded guilty to his role in an alleged conspiracy at the local Roto-Rooter franchise, testified that during training, he heard someone say, "make sure he understands the Roto-Rooter way."

DHS Inc., the franchise owner; General Manager William Wilmoth Sr.; and President Donald Gregory Smith are on trial in U.S. District Court this week, facing charges of conspiracy, mail fraud and violations of the Clean Water Act.

Prosecutors argued that the company was responsible for dumping thousands of gallons of grease into Mobile's sewer system, potentially causing sewage overflows.

Defense attorneys, though, maintained that two rogue employees were responsible, motivated by personal gain, and the company's leaders weren't involved.

The Mobile Area Water and Sewer System requires restaurants and caterers to install special traps. The businesses must hire approved companies to haul away the grease and dump it at an approved site.

Grease and oils flowing into sewer collection pipes have been known to clog the system and cause spills.

Edington, who earned money on commission, said using a pump truck, he regularly removed grease from one restaurant, only to dump it through a grease trap at another restaurant.

He also said that Wilmoth, at one point, ordered him to dump a load of grease from his truck into a sewer manhole.

Other Roto-Rooter pump truck drivers were told to learn from him how to dispose of grease on rainy days, when all of the legal disposal sites were closed, he testified.

He said the company's president, while firing him, told him to "keep your mouth shut."

Edington pleaded guilty in October to conspiracy and mail fraud as part of a deal with prosecutors that includes an offer of leniency in exchange for his cooperation.

Defense attorneys are expected to cross-examine Edington tomorrow.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/08/form...iver_says.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It`s crazy to see what some RR business will do to make a few $$$$
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: Former Roto-Rooter driver says company

I always knew those people were evil! But really, how stupid can you be? Did they really save/make THAT much money to make it worth what they are going through right now?
    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

it only cost me $10.00 per 1000 gallons to dump my truck. I`ll be damed if I`m gonna screw that up for a few dollars....lol

Comment

They told me to do it bullsh** doesn't fly with me. You are a driver and employee and knew better. These guys should have told the man and found an ethical place to work for...my .02
        ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I worked for RR Did not like them
          Rod
          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
          http://unclognh.com
          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

My grease disposal rates are 18 cents per gallon, which is nothing to sneeze at, however the bad publicity would far, far outweigh what illegal dumping would save. Not to mention the embarassement. I'd have to move. I couldn't face the people I know.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              it only cost me $10.00 per 1000 gallons to dump my truck. I`ll be damed if I`m gonna screw that up for a few dollars....lol

Minimum fees here is around $160-$190 I believe.

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
              They told me to do it bullsh** doesn't fly with me. You are a driver and employee and knew better. These guys should have told the man and found an ethical place to work for...my .02

I'm sure he was a fellow with a family, kids to feed and a grandma with flared up colitis in the basement that always needs attention.

I always do work for "former" customers... and then they act like they got smart, real quick.

Dumping back into the sanitary sewer system is a common practice that is done, until you get caught. It's avoiding dumping fees and the cost for travel and time.

I hear that in Dubai, they built those beautiful empires but the architects were snorting their lunch when it came to the design of the major plumbing systems.

It's been told that they have those who move waste 24-7 around the clock.

What happens is the wait to dump, along with the fees has become staggering, cutting the profits out of those who do that task and they are now dumping at the side of the roads.

Their water systems, waterways and their ocean fronts are contaminated with this germ bearing contaminate.

I did a full read on this a while back, was interesting and all 3 news stations did a story on the situation.

Of all places, with the riches and fortunes that country is and has, you wouldn't think they would of screwed up on that one. I would say they was off completely when it came to the population per square mile that caused the overrun of the system.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post
                Minimum fees here is around $160-$190 I believe.

I'm sure he was a fellow with a family, kids to feed and a grandma with flared up colitis in the basement that always needs attention.

I always do work for "former" customers... and then they act like they got smart, real quick.

Dumping back into the sanitary sewer system is a common practice that is done, until you get caught. It's avoiding dumping fees and the cost for travel and time.

I hear that in Dubai, they built those beautiful empires but the architects were snorting their lunch when it came to the design of the major plumbing systems.

It's been told that they have those who move waste 24-7 around the clock.

What happens is the wait to dump, along with the fees has become staggering, cutting the profits out of those who do that task and they are now dumping at the side of the roads.

Their water systems, waterways and their ocean fronts are contaminated with this germ bearing contaminate.

I did a full read on this a while back, was interesting and all 3 news stations did a story on the situation.

Of all places, with the riches and fortunes that country is and has, you wouldn't think they would of screwed up on that one. I would say they was off completely when it came to the population per square mile that caused the overrun of the system.

Oh I am sure the guy has a family and has to put food on the table etc. etc. That's still no way to justify negligence and a total disregard for the environment and peoples safety ..Again just my .02
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thats all the better reason to do the job right in my books!

Comment

remember that was a Roto-Rooter franchise as I worked for the RR corp. out here for a little bit and there pump trucks dumped at legal dump sites I was lucky because the MGR at the time was great he acually took care of his guys made it plesent to work there
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                      remember that was a Roto-Rooter franchise as I worked for the RR corp. out here for a little bit and there pump trucks dumped at legal dump sites I was lucky because the MGR at the time was great he acually took care of his guys made it plesent to work there
                      I worked for RR corp. Sneaky nickel and dime you to death hated them and still do. Corp is no diffrent than some of the shady franchises.
                      I was told to do things that made me rise an eyebrow. Nothing big just shady!
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                      X