X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Septic Tank Baffle

I've got an old 1,000-gallon concrete septic tank. While having it pumped a few days ago (routine maintenance), I saw the old concrete baffle on the bottom of the tank. The guy pumping out the tank pointed it out to me and said it should be replaced. I got a quote from him, and a separate quote based on me doing the digging down to the tank. I've completed the dig, and saved myself quite a bit of money (based on his price anyway). Now that I've dug down to the tank, however, I can see that replacing this slide-in baffle *appears* to be a three step process:

1) Remove old baffle
    2) Slide in new baffle
    3) Cover up hole

With that said, I have no idea where I can find an old slide-in concrete baffle. Clearly they can be bought somewhere, but I've called various places and searched online to no effect.

Wondering two things - first off, is replacing this type of baffle really as straightforward as it seems (I can't see how it wouldn't be, but you never know...)? Also, does anyone know where such septic parts can be purchased? I'm in central Maryland.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance...

Re: Concrete Septic Tank Baffle

my guess is you would need to find the company who made the tank and get a baffel from them if one is going to be bought, your septic guy may be able to help you in idenifing who it may have been made by,

most likely if I was in your situation, I would consider casting my own baffle, put a sheet of plastic on the ground or a ply wood or on a concrete floor, make a wood form cut some rebar, and make a rebar grid and extend them some for a lifting loop throught a section of the form, on the top end, if any weirs were needed, make a form to put them in place, pour some cement that is extra strengh in cement content, let set a week or two and put in to place, one may need to check for tapers on the side, and so on,

but many of the tanks and other smaller precast concrete were made by a smaller concrete compays as a way to do some thing on the off season or to use up batches that were rejected or over ordered,

as far as replacing a baffel I have never done it,

(I may be wrong but I was under the empression the baffels in my concrete tank are cast in place),

but if needed one could form up and cast the baffel in place
    if casting it and setting it in after the fact would be a problem,

acess would seem to me like a possible problem,

pictures would be helpfull on seeing exactly what your working with and how it is constructucted,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You don't need a concrete baffle. In fact plastic baffles will last longer.

http://http://www.pumper.com/assets/catalogs/4037/

Here you go. If it is an outlet baffle and you have easy access to the top of it you should install a filter as well. The filter is cheap protection for your drainfield. Usually they need service once a year and you can do it yourself if you are not squemish. There are other brands as well.

http://http://www.pumper.com/product...ers-Wastewater

Good luck!
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

You can make a baffle for yourself. Get a PVC Y 3 inch and stick of pipe. Cut three lengths, 2 eight inch parts and one 2 foot part. On the inlet side and the and top "the side that has the tighter bend glue the eight inch parts. On the side thats down in to the tank glue the 2 foot part. If this is cast the three inch should slide into the inlet or outlet pipe of the tank. You may need a plug that gets hammered in the pipe if the three inch dosent fit that well and glue the baffle to that.

A 4 inch filter style baffle would be better. You will have to clean the filter offen couple time a year, or it will back up in the house. If you dont plan on pumping the tank every couple of years or cant get at the filter easily just put a homemade unit in. As the effulent "water" gets to br less in the tank as it full of sludge and the scum layer "the stuff that floats builds up the filter may need cleaning more offen.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          my guess is you would need to find the company who made the tank and get a baffel from them if one is going to be bought, your septic guy may be able to help you in idenifing who it may have been made by,

most likely if I was in your situation, I would consider casting my own baffle, put a sheet of plastic on the ground or a ply wood or on a concrete floor, make a wood form cut some rebar, and make a rebar grid and extend them some for a lifting loop throught a section of the form, on the top end, if any weirs were needed, make a form to put them in place, pour some cement that is extra strengh in cement content, let set a week or two and put in to place, one may need to check for tapers on the side, and so on,

but many of the tanks and other smaller precast concrete were made by a smaller concrete compays as a way to do some thing on the off season or to use up batches that were rejected or over ordered,

as far as replacing a baffel I have never done it,

(I may be wrong but I was under the empression the baffels in my concrete tank are cast in place),

but if needed one could form up and cast the baffel in place
          if casting it and setting it in after the fact would be a problem,

acess would seem to me like a possible problem,

pictures would be helpfull on seeing exactly what your working with and how it is constructucted,
          No one precast baffles like that any more. That system got to be 30 years old.

Comment

Working...
          X