• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Speedrooter 90

Hey guys,

me again :-)

This workhorse seems to have a problem with the autofeed

Forwards no problem, works like a charm

Revers (autofeed) to rectract the cable back into the drum seems to skip...meaning grabs a little, starts skipping, grabs a little more...etc

Is this "dirt" or are the bushings going?

I need to disassemble the autofeed to make sure, but I assume until I do so, I should no longer operate the machine? Meaning ,...helpingthe autofeed by pushing it in with my hand (little extra force) is not good, right?

Thanks
    Avellino

Re: General Speedrooter 90

One thing you can try is spraying some WD-40 onto the feed bearings. If this solves the issue for you then the problem is just dirt and grim build up, which means your feed needs a good cleaning. If it does not resolve the problem then it means one of the bearings is going bad, and needs replacing.

A little tip for anyone using an auto feed. Over tightening the feed knob will ruin the bearings in no time, and under tightening them does cause a bit of quicker wear on them plus is not 100% safe. The way I work my feed is I keep the knob up top loose so I can manually feed the cable in to the clean out. Once I got the cable in the pipe at least a few feet, then I put the feed lever in to the forward position while the top knob is still loose. Once in the forward position, I tighten the top knob till the cable starts to feed into the line then tighten it a 1/4 turn more.

Hope this helps.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ok ..time to dis-assemble the feed and see what is going on.

I hope I didn't cause even more damage with the manual push in to retract

As usual ..you guys rock, lightening quick responses

Comment

Originally posted by Avellino View Post
        Ok ..time to dis-assemble the feed and see what is going on.

I hope I didn't cause even more damage with the manual push in to retract

As usual ..you guys rock, lightening quick responses

No you did not do more damage to the feed pulling or pushing the cable in manually.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've found that the General drive's suck! I have a Speedrooter 90 also and have rebuilt the drive several times. I finally quit using it and got a Spartan. I still have the machine just in case I need a heavy duty root machine and I keep threatening to adapt a Spartan drive on it, but as of yet I haven't done it.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

On the upside those bearings are pretty easy to change, ours usually last a couple years with less than perfect maintenance, unless the boss uses the machine then they are only good for about 10 minutes, god he's been on a tear of breaking stuff lately. Brand new speedrooter 92, lasted 23 minutes and he hung it up in a storm leader and snapped the leader off in the drum.

Comment

typically the bearings should not be rounded off. it's the edge that grabs and the bearings need a sharp 90 degree edge.

abec3 or 5 bearings will outlast the abec1 bearings.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

replace the roller bearings, 5 min job, if this does not work the cable may be too worn

Comment

Local general wire representative is asking me for the part number for the bearings ,....uh ..ok.

Any idea?

I know I am giving you guys a headache this morning...sorry

Comment

I would pull the bearings and go to auto supply to match them around here we have a place called Bearing Supply They got all of the bearings.

Comment

Once you know the size you can get the high quality ones off eBay as I do in rolls of 10 for dirt cheap.

Here are some I had ordered for my Spartan 300 and K-39AF.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
                      Last edited by AssTyme; 12-14-2010, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X