X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling for GAS

Just something to think about. My helper spent 2 days off and on working on this job till I showed up with the back hoe to find out why he couldnt get through the sewer.

Yes what you see here is a plastic/poly gas main line. We could have had real problems if he would spent any more time trying to cut his way through the line. You just never know what the clog is and I`ll be damned if I`ll ever drop my price when you have all the dangers we face.

And once again no-dig makes me money.....lol gotta love trenchless contractors

Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Re: Drilling for GAS

7 or so years ago i actually cut through a high pressure poly line with my 7500. the line was having problems for 5 years according to the owner and i was hired to camera the line. when i got there the line was plugged so i took out my 7500 and started to cut into the stoppage not knowing that the gas company relocated the gas meter 5 years prior using a trenchless bore to run the new 5/8'' high pressure hdpe line.

my 7500 tore into it and it was hissing. after going around front thinking i surfaced and cut a sprinkler main, i then could smell it. called the gas co and fire dept as the odor was everywhere.

gas company confirmed my findings and cut the street open to close the line. they then hired their plumber to fix the clay sewer and paid the customer for all her sewer cleanings for the last 5 years.

why no other company cut the line, is beyond me.

had i had my k-60 with spiral root saw, i would have blown up the place the saw would have sheared it in half.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Funny thing....Just two days ago I received a letter from our local gas co warning that I could run across gas lines that pierced through a drain when they ran their trenchless lines. It included all the fun info on how to identify if I've cut through a gas line and what to do if I ever do cut through one.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Rick this was the same way as the sewer had been clogged for over a year. It was an older lady living there by her self so she didnt use enough water to really know she had a problem and it was just leaking in her basement that she couldnt get down. How My helper didnt cut in to the line is beyond me as he even tried the 2" cutter with the K-7500. It was a good thing he didnt try the k-60 with spiral root saw as he had to work this sewer from the basement C/O. We found the gas main in the sewer in 2 places. We were really lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          Rick this was the same way as the sewer had been clogged for over a year. It was an older lady living there by her self so she didnt use enough water to really know she had a problem and it was just leaking in her basement that she couldnt get down. How My helper didnt cut in to the line is beyond me as he even tried the 2" cutter with the K-7500. It was a good thing he didnt try the k-60 with spiral root saw as he had to work this sewer from the basement C/O. We found the gas main in the sewer in 2 places. We were really lucky!
          We ran into the same thing about 10 years ago. Outside cleanout old lady that used very little water, but when she had her daughter come and stay with her for a week is when they noticed the main was plugged. We rodded for a good hour and half just could not pass this spot out in the parkway. We dug it up and sure enough a 2" yellow gas main ran right through her sewer. We where able to see big chunks cut into it from our rod. We got lucky and gave up as well.

Another job we where on was a crawl space with a small window access from the outside. I was in the crawl space feeding the cable into the clean out as my partner ran the machine outside. We where drilling for about two hours, I was inching in but just finally gave up. We located the problem spot and it put us out in the parkway. This town digs up homeowners sewers if its out in the ROW so we called them and showed them the problem spot. A couple weeks go by and I bump into one of the village guys at a local greasy spoon. He comes up to me and said "Dang Ron you and Mike are lucky to be alive." We dug up that sewer and found electrical lines running right through it, the lines where the high voltage lines. You cut through the neutral wire and where nicking the insulation on one of the hot wires." So ever since these two jobs I am not as prescient as I used to be.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I never thought about electrical lines

I have cut up a 200 pair phone cable. I pulled back and said "hey look at all these pretty colors"

Comment

boy are you guys lucky. i had one a few years ago my cutter was coming backed polished. while I was packing up I noticed old marker flags in the front yard. I asked about guys working around the neighborhood. she said ya a couple months ago. sure enough the gas company dug it up. but I don't think I came that close to something bad happening. I was on an o/s c/o also.

Comment

Working...
              X