Heavy Garage Grease & Jetter Additives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Garage Grease & Jetter Additives

I have a garage that calls me every couple years with blocked area drains where they park the trucks. 99% of the time I can go in there power rod them and get them draining. But there is the 1% of the time where the line is so packed with sand, grease, oil and such, the rod will go though and get the line seeping but not open. Getting the rod through is a job in itself took me just 2 hours to get a spear head to go 100' in a 4" line. Was there for 5 hours fighting a larger cutter through it. So I tossed in the towel, and told them I will have to bring my jetter.

In the past I jetted the line and get it open with no issue but you can tell that not all the grease, and oil has moved. So I jet the line a few dozen times more till the line seems to be running clear. So my question is have any of you tried any type of additive with your jetters to break up the grease? Like Grease X Jet?
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Heavy Garage Grease & Jetter Additives

Once you get the line flowing add some degreaser. Why did you work on it for almost a whole day before you decided to use a jetter? Did you try a canvas bag?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
      Once you get the line flowing add some degreaser. Why did you work on it for almost a whole day before you decided to use a jetter? Did you try a canvas bag?
      Canvas bag won't work due to the fact there are 6 drains on this line. I always rod these lines first before jetting. I want to make sure there is nothing in the line that can damage my jetter hose. For example I did pull out pieces of sharp metal from the line already. Once I get a 4" cutter to pass through and I know the line is intact and there is nothing in there that I can determine that would ruin my jetter hose, then I jet the line.

I learned the above fact about rodding first then jetting about 17 years ago when I got my first jetter. I used to never pull the rod off and jet everything. Till one day my jetter left a broken pipe and got hung up real bad. It tore up my hose good.
      Ron's Facebook

Comment

I don't have a jetter ,But if i know im going on a greasy one i bring a gal or two of citrus cleaner 10 bucks a gal with hot water it helps a lot..
        And the cable smells good too

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
          I don't have a jetter ,But if i know im going on a greasy one i bring a gal or two of citrus cleaner 10 bucks a gal with hot water it helps a lot..
          And the cable smells good too
          Yea my truck smells like heck right now.
          Ron's Facebook

Comment

Ron your going to laugh but it worked 4inch about a 60 foot run. Had a drain in an auto repair shop years ago while I was working for RR. Used the Harben jetter grease and sand was hell. Got fed up went to the store a grabbed a few bottles of Dawn dish detergent it worked good soap worked it's way into the sand and grease.
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

in garages I find the problem is sand, not grease. Yeah, it's oily and nasty, but it doesn't harden up like food grease does. Occasionally it'll like coke up, into a hard porous black stuff, but usually not.

Usually, like 95/100, it's just massive sand. I always jet these because of the sand (well, maybe I jet them because I'm me, but I justify it because of the sand). The jetter will cut the coke stuff too, but the cable first then jet is arguably faster depending how much there is. I usually just jet because the cable stinks so bad on these and it's usually as fast by the time you set up and break down both.

Usually there is a sand/oil trap. First thing I do on garage drains in a building I don't know is find that trap. In a big service garage there may be a trap in each bay. Once trap(s) is located, check sand depth with pole to make sure it's not up to the bottom of the discharge pipe. If it's near it, then it needs pumping. Then I jet up system from the sand trap and pull all the sand down into it.

Most of the time these just get neglected until the whole system fills up and it takes forever to rake all the sand out of it. I tell them every time if they just had me out twice a year it wouldn't cost so much or beat me up so much or kill my whole day and it'd be cheaper and budgetable for them, but they never want to hear it and I don't see them again for a few years, when it needs everything you can think of again.

As with all things, bear in mind my experience is in my area, where we use a lot of sand on the roads in winter, and where mag chloride is popular and regular old salt isn't. Might be different for you.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                Ron your going to laugh but it worked 4inch about a 60 foot run. Had a drain in an auto repair shop years ago while I was working for RR. Used the Harben jetter grease and sand was hell. Got fed up went to the store a grabbed a few bottles of Dawn dish detergent it worked good soap worked it's way into the sand and grease.
                I know how packed these lines can get, there are times a jetter will not pass through this muck. I had one where I ran the jetter in and it would come to a dead stop. Then I had to rod the line to poke a hole in the muck a bit more then jet the line and it would go as far as the rod did, had to go back and forth till I finally got through all of it.

I ordered up some of the Grease X Jet for this line since it reminds me of the one I just described. This line is packed solid, I have told them they need to have me out twice a year for preventive maintenance and this would not be an issue.

Ace I would jet from the triple basins back in but they way they laid out the system it is very power rod friendly meaning there are clean outs at every turn and every 100'. The clean outs at the turns are on the back of wye combo's and the ones every 100 ' are wyes themselves. So if I jet from the triple basin I will come up a clean out. And if I am able to get the jet to go backwards in the middle clean outs I will again come up a turn clean out.
                Ron's Facebook

Comment

since you know you can't reverse jet, any chance to pull a rope back with the snake and pull the jetter backwards in?

i would need to see the msds to determine if any of the chemicals could damage the pump if added to the tank.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Ace I would jet from the triple basins back in but they way they laid out the system it is very power rod friendly meaning there are clean outs at every turn and every 100'. The clean outs at the turns are on the back of wye combo's and the ones every 100 ' are wyes themselves. So if I jet from the triple basin I will come up a clean out. And if I am able to get the jet to go backwards in the middle clean outs I will again come up a turn clean out.
                    And whoever put it in was pretty thoughtful about leaving access and pretty proud they knew enough to do so and had never seen a jetter, darn it.

If I was sure it was just sand, I'd still jet up, using a camera at the c/o's on the combis to force the nozzle up to the next one. Or jet down from the top and reverse once I get ahold of it from somewhere below.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I ordered up two 5 gallons jugs of the Grease X Jet. I have used it in the past on food grease lines and it works great. Just was not sure how well it works with automotive grease and oil. So I will tell you all next week how well it works.
                      Ron's Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        I ordered up two 5 gallons jugs of the Grease X Jet. I have used it in the past on food grease lines and it works great. Just was not sure how well it works with automotive grease and oil. So I will tell you all next week how well it works.
                        Are you going to run your camera in it afterwards? Get some pics for us

Comment

You know..... I was just wondering if there would be a way to "suck" the grease out. Maybe a long enough hose with a gas powered vac pump..... fill water in with a hose, suck the oil/water out to keep it from just sitting in the line.

It's probably not very practical though.
                          Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                            You know..... I was just wondering if there would be a way to "suck" the grease out. Maybe a long enough hose with a gas powered vac pump..... fill water in with a hose, suck the oil/water out to keep it from just sitting in the line.

It's probably not very practical though.
                            I have done that with a super vac truck when I have them on site. Works pretty good on shorter lines. Wish there was a good way to send a vac hose down the line from a super sucker, that would be a great way to clear all this muck out of the line.
                            Ron's Facebook

Comment

I have also been thinking of a brush attachment for a cable that could possibly sweep the oil/grease from the pipe, but I do think that would take forever because you probably couldn't go in too far without having to pull it back out and clean off the brush. Something like the chimney sweep thing that was posted earlier today.
                              Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Working...
                              X