X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just erks me to fail...

It's the Roman tub that leads to nowhere! No c/o's, everything else is working just dandy in this upstairs large master bath. First the Ridgid hand crank figuring that it's just hair in the trap, then my Spartan 700 about 25 feet out which is all the small dia cable I had. I remembered that I cut down 35' to 25' due to wicked kinking. The toilet & bidet is about 20 feet from the tub drain, although it could run down the wall and connect to something else. I had him listen downstairs for the cable, but he said it was running along the ceiling toward the toilet/bidet. DRATZ and DOUBLE DRATZ. The Customer was cool though and paid me in spite of it all. We'll tackle it after Christmas!

Re: It just erks me to fail...

Water ram that SOB or get a decent small drain setup

Comment

This might be some dumb questions but:

Did you check from the drain stopper to the T?

Trip lever type W/O? Barrel in the way?

Got a little inspection camera to take a peek at the short run?

I usually can get a feel for the problem location if it's draining slow by the amount of time it takes to slow down.

Post what you find. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        This might be some dumb questions but:

Did you check from the drain stopper to the T?

Trip lever type W/O? Barrel in the way?

Got a little inspection camera to take a peek at the short run?

I usually can get a feel for the problem location if it's draining slow by the amount of time it takes to slow down.

Post what you find. Good luck.

J.C.
        No dumb questions! It's the little things that often get overlooked. First thing I check. No, this is a foot activated stop. Pulled the stop first and ran a Zip-it in there (great tool BTW). It's pretty hard to run a cable w/ the barrel in there . In fact the overflow is one of those f'd up center crosshair gadgets that only allow the smallest of cables.

Comment

Water ram / small drain setup...

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          Water ram that SOB or get a decent small drain setup
          How would you efficiently WR w/ that design tub? There is the drain and the overflow. Also, what would you consider a decent small drain setup? Something wrong w/ my 700 machine?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
            No dumb questions! It's the little things that often get overlooked. First thing I check. No, this is a foot activated stop. Pulled the stop first and ran a Zip-it in there (great tool BTW). It's pretty hard to run a cable w/ the barrel in there . In fact the overflow is one of those f'd up center crosshair gadgets that only allow the smallest of cables.
            I've done it. Don't know whether to call it good luck or bad luck. It can add to the mystery. What's fun is when they've changed the top trim to a lift and turn but left the assembly inside.

Need you a little inspection camera to take a peek in there.

J.C.

Comment

To use a water ram on a tub, you remove the overflow cover and stick a wet rag down the over flowand use the screw driver to hold in place. Put the water ram in the tub drain start with 15 PSI and snap the trigger. Just be sure you are holding that rag in the overflow firmly or you will get wet.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I think you need to go a little further than 25ft
                Like you my zip it is in the top of my box

Comment

sorry, can't leave it alone; it's irk, nor erk
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Water Ram continued...

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    To use a water ram on a tub, you remove the overflow cover and stick a wet rag down the over flowand use the screw driver to hold in place. Put the water ram in the tub drain start with 15 PSI and snap the trigger. Just be sure you are holding that rag in the overflow firmly or you will get wet.
                    Yeah, I kinda thought so. I've never purchase a WR and was always leery of separating pipe, blowing seal rings, etc. especially on second story drains.

Comment

Re: Water Ram continued...

Yeah, I kinda thought so. I've never purchase a WR and was always leery of separating pipe, blowing seal rings, etc. especially on second story drains.
                      Thats why you always start at low pressures and increase by 5 psi, and I hardly ever go over 35 psi unless I know the pipes are solid and I am not going to spray myself.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

So it's not...

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        sorry, can't leave it alone; it's irk, nor erk
                        Captian Kerk?.......crap

Comment

a 25' cable will only feed out less than 20' as there is no anchor cable. unless you have a drill chuck on there or pull it out the last few feet and connect it to a cordless drill.

35' cable is a must for the second story layout.

that's what's nice about the k-50. i just add cables as i need too. an 1.5'' trap is done with a 5/8'' reverse auger cable plus it auto feeds when running in reverse

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            a 25' cable will only feed out less than 20' as there is no anchor cable. unless you have a drill chuck on there or pull it out the last few feet and connect it to a cordless drill.

35' cable is a must for the second story layout.

that's what's nice about the k-50. i just add cables as i need too. an 1.5'' trap is done with a 5/8'' reverse auger cable plus it auto feeds when running in reverse

rick.
                            35' no kidding! Like I said, I forgot that I cut my 1/4 35' down...stupid me. Remember I'm going through a roman tub overflow w/ single hole face plate (foot lok). I had to cut the auger off my 1/4 cable to get past the crossbars. Anyway, I found a new 35'er in my garage, although I'll have to cut the auger off that one also.

The reverse auger concept looks interesting and I followed up by reading your description post from Sept.

Rick, as always, thanks for your input! I always learn something from your posts.

Comment

Re: Water ram / small drain setup...

How would you efficiently WR w/ that design tub? There is the drain and the overflow. Also, what would you consider a decent small drain setup? Something wrong w/ my 700 machine?

Nothing wrong with the 700 but it could use a longer cable. I love my K-39AF's

Comment

Working...
                              X