Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drain field issues

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
    This wet spot originates near the outlet end of the tank?

Did you take the lid off the tank? If so, was the sewage level all the way to the top of the tank?

The wet spot is actually closer to the inlet side of the tank, and off to the side, not in line with the inlet, or outlet pipes.

I didnt take the lid all the way off the tank because when I went to pry it open, (the rebar handle had rusted off) I started to get a lot of water. I had a bit of standing water in the clean out located between the hose and the tank, so I new a mess was in order if I went any further. I figured the pump folks have enough crap to deal with inside the tank, why make it any worse for them lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Remember too that you may just have fatigued your system or that it is inadequate.

Lots of rain, snow, or water usage can cause things to back up & seep out of the ground without a clog or damaged pipe anywhere.

Seen that too.

So much to think about.

J.C.

I hope that is the case. We had really bad rains last year, the worst in decades actually, and we had zero problems out of the septic system, even with a couple inches standing water in the drain field. I would have thought that that would have caused major problems for me like it did for other folks all over the state.

Comment

If the tank is that full, it definitely has some kind of problem beyond the tank.

Is the wet spot downslope from the lid?
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I actually had a guy video tape me while I was working on his septic system. It was a little creepy. Come to think about it I've had it done a couple of times. Lots of pictures taken. Some of them wanted me to pose. "Cheese".

Comment

If the tank is that full, it definitely has some kind of problem beyond the tank.

Is the wet spot downslope from the lid?
            Yes

Comment

Then the wet spot may be coming from the lid. Nothing soggy in the drainfield area then?

Comment

Then the wet spot may be coming from the lid. Nothing soggy in the drainfield area then?

Nope, but when I dug up the lid, it was dry till about an inch from the lid.

Comment

My educated guess is that the pipe from the tank to the distribution box is plugged. It's a pretty common thing with cast iron pipe.

Let us know if you have any more questions. We love to help!

Comment

My educated guess is that the pipe from the tank to the distribution box is plugged. It's a pretty common thing with cast iron pipe.

Let us know if you have any more questions. We love to help!
                    Thanks y'all have been a big help. FWIW, I'm 90% sure it's not cast iron pipe. I think it's ABS.

Comment

If the outlet pipe (baffle in my area) is cast iron, it could be the culprit. I've seen it many times. If you can get the distribution/drop box open that will tell the tale.

Comment

How old is the system? If it a steel tank they rust out above the flow line due to the gas that build up. Cast coming out of the tank to the field or d box could be the problem. It is hard to video the lines due to the fact if they are going to dirty and it gets on the lens. Can you see the outlet baffle. If you can see the outlet line stick a garden hose in it after its pumped. If the water dosent go away asap its the pipe. A system that dosent decharge above ground or into another tile should last 30 years. The system starts failing the day after it installed.

Do you have a vent at the end of the field. If its full of water its shot.

Comment

Had it pumped Thursday. Part of the concrete inlet baffle was broken off. Didn't get much water at all out of the outlet side of the tank, and the tank was 100% full. I was happy with the pumper, and I may also let him make the repairs. He probed the ground in several spots, and when he got to the part that was saturated, we had geysers shooting up about a foot and a half. The health department was closed on Thursday, but on Monday, my wife will go and pick up a copy of the original permitted drawings, so we will have a better idea of what we are working with. I didn't get video, but I got a few pics. Ill post them up later.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
                            Had it pumped Thursday. Part of the concrete inlet baffle was broken off. Didn't get much water at all out of the outlet side of the tank, and the tank was 100% full. I was happy with the pumper, and I may also let him make the repairs. He probed the ground in several spots, and when he got to the part that was saturated, we had geysers shooting up about a foot and a half. The health department was closed on Thursday, but on Monday, my wife will go and pick up a copy of the original permitted drawings, so we will have a better idea of what we are working with. I didn't get video, but I got a few pics. Ill post them up later.
                            Yep, yep. Geysers.

Sorry....that ain't oil.

Sounds like you got a good guy.

J.C.

Comment

FWIW, rumors form previous owners describe the pipe with the Styrofoam pellets around it.

Comment

Originally posted by bml View Post
                                FWIW, rumors form previous owners describe the pipe with the Styrofoam pellets around it.
                                Yes, yes. Very familiar with this. Your house must not be that old? Somebody could have screwed up a step-down.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X