X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing kinked cables?

Is it possible to fix a kinked cable? I have a 1/2" cable with a pretty good kink in it that I'd like to straighten out. Any ideas on how I can DIY?
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Fixing kinked cables?

slide 2- 1/2'' pipes over the cable at the kink and use them to bend the kink straight. but the cable will still have a tweak and will rub more on the pipe, thus wearing faster. if need be you would have to cut out the kink and couple it,

what brand of cable?

if need be jm mckinney can splice it for you in van nuys

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

For what its worth.... depending on how bad the kink is...I take a pair of vise grips on both sides of the kink and then bend opposite of the kink itself...if its a inner core cable that is even a little harder to do...that be my two pennies !
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I take a piece of flat heavy metal and place it on the ground. Then I take the kinked cable and place it on the piece of metal and grab the cable and pull upward on the cable in a way to put tension on the kink and have the kink pointed upward at me but a few inches away from the metal plate. Then I take my 3 lb hammer and beat the cable till its straight. This takes some practice to get it right. When down it should be near perfect.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I'm lucky ...I take my 1/2.. 5/8.. and 3/4"cables to a very good welder in my area ..He cuts out the kink and welds butt end male or female repair couplings to the cable ends that I have purchased from my sales rep. and they are like new... The welds hold up very well and I've never had one break (knock on wood).He always charges me 20 bucks..I'm in and out in 15 mins usually... As for the smaller cables 3/8 and 5/16 I use a vise and or vise grips and or just say the heck with it and put on a new one...I have found knowing the limits of your cable can save you most of the problems...When my cable tells me it dosent want to do something..I listen.. Tom

Comment

Once kinked, always kinked. You're just asking for trouble using a kinked
            cable. If I kink, break, or otherwise damage a cable on a job, the cost is
            added to the invoice.

Comment

I throw kinked cables away and buy new ones as there is nothing like the feel new cables rotating through one glove while clearing a drain and the added please of a tax deduction.

Tony

Comment

I've yet to try straightening that cable out, but I'll get it on soon.

Rick, thanks for the tip with JM McKinney....I went to them for a repair coupling for my Ridgid 3/8" cable. Every online vendor I checked with was backordered and JM had it on hand which saved me from having to wait for 3 weeks for a repair end.
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

Rick, thanks for the tip with JM McKinney....I went to them for a repair coupling for my Ridgid 3/8" cable. Every online vendor I checked with was backordered and JM had it on hand which saved me from having to wait for 3 weeks for a repair end.
                  I go back over 30-years with JM McKinney and they have never disapointed me.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

kink = fixable

splayed out overtorqed spiral = junk
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

the owner, jeff is an ex ridgid employee. so he knows his product line and the right people.

i remember a few years back him calling me after he heard me on the tom lycis radio show

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X