Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tis The Season...For Frozen Pipes That Is...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tis The Season...For Frozen Pipes That Is...

Several months back I won a new General Hot Shot Model 350.. without the cables on Ebay for $175.00...I thought it was a good deal until I priced the cables from my General Rep. They were expensive..... Then...I bought two #2 welding cables with the stud and end clips ... 50 footers. for $100.00 each.. Now I have $375.00 in the machine and 100' of coverage area... Has anyone here had any expierence with these pipe thawing machines? Good or bad? Any advice on safe and proper use? I did read the owners manual on the drainbrain site.. They are just sitting
    in the Van on standby ready to work...So far no calls..I'll post after I use it to report on how well it worked... Tom...

Re: Tis The Season...For Frozen Pipes That Is...

Originally posted by Magic Touch III LLC View Post
    Several months back I won a new General Hot Shot Model 350.. without the cables on Ebay for $175.00...I thought it was a good deal until I priced the cables from my General Rep. They were expensive..... Then...I bought two #2 welding cables with the stud and end clips ... 50 footers. for $100.00 each.. Now I have $375.00 in the machine and 100' of coverage area... Has anyone here had any expierence with these pipe thawing machines? Good or bad? Any advice on safe and proper use? I did read the owners manual on the drainbrain site.. They are just sitting
    in the Van on standby ready to work...So far no calls..I'll post after I use it to report on how well it worked... Tom...

They work great!

I used to use them all the time when I did service !!

What questions do you have?

Let me know,

Joseph

Comment

The main question I have is...The owners manual says to unplug other electrical devices in and around the work area as the electrical current from the Hot Shot could damage them... So do I need to unplug customers Cable TV boxes for instance befor I set up and turn on the Hot Shot... Tom

Comment

The main question I have is...The owners manual says to unplug other electrical devices in and around the work area as the electrical current from the Hot Shot could damage them... So do I need to unplug customers Cable TV boxes for instance befor I set up and turn on the Hot Shot... Tom

Yes - I would for sure, and always did.

I like to be on the safe side and when the manufacture tells me to, I will just so they can't say it was me

Comment

I never monkey with the pipe thaw machines due to liabilty. Around here you can get a mix of piping materials and the like, does not make for a decent conductor.

Be carefull thawing. I worked with a guy who thawed a split pipe and flooded the first floor.

Comment

I'm not sure that this is an issue with that type of machine, but not sure that it isn't. The minimal experience I have with pipe thawing is watching guys hook up and do it and asking them about it. Around here, they all use big trailered welders. I've seen an elec service burned off a pole. I've seen a water line arced through in the ground and leaking enough pressure was lost... this was at a property across the street from the one thawed. I've seen small fires started. I've heard many stories of worse, but I have seen those things.

hot shots are (from what I've seen around here anyway) generally used for thaws inside the building, not the run in the ground. I believe they do a whole lot less current than the welders guys use for lines in the ground. But, be very very careful, and make sure your ins covers you for this work.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
              I'm not sure that this is an issue with that type of machine, but not sure that it isn't. The minimal experience I have with pipe thawing is watching guys hook up and do it and asking them about it. Around here, they all use big trailered welders. I've seen an elec service burned off a pole. I've seen a water line arced through in the ground and leaking enough pressure was lost... this was at a property across the street from the one thawed. I've seen small fires started. I've heard many stories of worse, but I have seen those things.

hot shots are (from what I've seen around here anyway) generally used for thaws inside the building, not the run in the ground. I believe they do a whole lot less current than the welders guys use for lines in the ground. But, be very very careful, and make sure your ins covers you for this work.
              The hotshots and the Ridgid thawers are the same current but less voltage than the welders. I have thawed underground lines with my Ridgid thawer. It takes a bit longer though due to the distance. I have an interconnect cable where I can run two machines in series to be able to do longer distances.

The one year where we had -40º F temps with -80 wind chills. We had a village call hire us to thaw lines from the main to the house. The lines where freezing up from the corporation stop on the main to the house. So we had a welder guy that did them. He go inside the home and disconnect the water meter and any ground straps that where hooked up before the meter then he hook up at the hydrant and in the house. Ten minutes later he hook things back up and hit the next house. We all made great money that week.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              Ron's Facebook
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I had a thaw job Friday.
                4” sewer pipe at a mobile home park

80’ sh!tcycle

jet an jet then cam.

Funny part is that a competitor of mine did the same job a week ago. They thawed the line and left. I cammed the line when it started to flow and it was full of roots. Jetted a few more tiems the put the root ranger on and she opened up %100.

Picked up the mobile home park for a new account.
                Attached Files
                Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                1-920-284-7471

Comment

Good goin' ..Hopefully that was NOT a Christmas morning call..Def. would have tossed my christmas cookies on that one
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                    I had a thaw job Friday.

80’ sh!tcycle

jet an jet then cam.

Funny part is that a competitor of mine did the same job a week ago. They thawed the line and left. I cammed the line when it started to flow and it was full of roots. Jetted a few more tiems the put the root ranger on and she opened up %100.

Man that looks like some good taco filling mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

my sug. would be to be very careful with the cables as they can get very hot keep them up off floors like wood and others that could easly mark as I use the ridgid KT-200
                      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/KT190-KT200-Pipe-Thawers/
                      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Keep cables off the floor. Unplug some stuff close to were you plug your hot shot into. Never had any problems with mine unless people refreeze
                        due to extreme cold and not let stuff drip or properly insulate.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                          I had a thaw job Friday.

80’ sh!tcycle

jet an jet then cam.

Looks like a chocolate Frosty.

Comment

Working...
                          X