X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was a new one for me.

Condo bulding ~ 10 yr old. All the above units on a stack were coming up in the toilet in the 1st floor unit.

Pull toilet and snake, pop clog but just cannot get past the spot with anything.

Camera, can't see it as the line is still hip deep, but there is something there stopping the camera as well.

Locate it. It's in a straight run in 4" cinh, horizontal section in park garage ceiling maybe 5' past where the stack turns horizontal. It has to be an object.

Remove a no-hub and have a look; there was a joint only a foot from the problem. The tampons and the 1/2" copper sweat coupling weren't helping, but the real problem was the 2" dia concrete core from a core drill.

There is no way this went in anything but an open closet flange or cleanout. I don't see how it could possibly have happened at any other time than initial construction. And I don't see how it could have been there 10 yr and not made a problem before now.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: This was a new one for me.

I ran into something like that. House was about 8 years old original owner and she called us for her first back up. Rod from the clean out in the basement which is 20' in the back before it leaves the front of the house. I was hitting something pretty solid at about 15'. Tried to televise the line but there was to much muck in the line as well. So we bust open the floor snap the cast iron. And to our surprise there was a 3 foot long 2x4 in the line. I asked them are they sure they never had a buck up till today, which they said nope. It is odd how it can last so long with out backing up.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i've had to pull cores out of the line before. but those were in new jobs under 1 year old. don't know about anything beyond the year as 1 year was our warranty on the original construction.

had old school coke bottles dropped in from the 2'' vents before and those were a nightmare

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

After Hurricane Katrina I pulled a 3' long strip of fence lattice 1" x 2" x 3' at the bottom of a 3" copper stack. Now that's a hole in 1

They had used the bath for 3 weeks before the trouble showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
          After Hurricane Katrina I pulled a 3' long strip of fence lattice 1" x 2" x 3' at the bottom of a 3" copper stack. Now that's a hole in 1

They had used the bath for 3 weeks before the trouble showed up.
          wheres the vid. crew for that one
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
            wheres the vid. crew for that one
            ???

Comment

I have seen this a couple of times over the years

first was 3 story 17 year old barracks in the U.S.A.F. a 5' sign post down the roof vent,
              yes they had stoppages over the years but always cleared
              with a 75' flat tape till they put women on the second and third floors, ! !

Second time was a New house a couple 2'-3' pieces of 1/2" copper in 3"
              abs pipe under slab was the problem from day first sold then homeowners got on builder to correct before end of 1st year warranty

third time in a 10 year old house first found a 1/2"x12"
              galv. Nipple in 3" abs waste stack at the bottom pulled
              that out had my guys run 3" cutter out to street to confirm that the line was cleared unable to get past about 20' out from new c/o installed in stack
              ran camera down line found 2 1"x6" galv. Nipples 1 with a
              street 90 on it the other had a cap on one end
              down though a tongue and grove hardwood floor and slab
              to clear and confirm line open to street !
              Last edited by JERRYMAC; 01-17-2011, 07:24 PM.
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
              X