Confined Space PPE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confined Space PPE

So I broke down and got a tripod, meter, and fan. I was using a meter from a friend and a harness. Jetting septic line and pressure washing tanks and lift stations has been good for business. I was sick of walking from work because we couldnt do it safely.

Re: Confined Space PPE

One of these days we need to bite the bullet and buy a rig as well. I have passed on a couple nice jobs due to not having the confined space equipment.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

We were at a cont ed class last winter and an OSHA rep was there. Everyone in attendance was a small operation, maybe two three guys at most. She's talking about the confined space requirements and everything and everyones talking about their experiences. She pulls out a meter and asked one of the guys in the front to start it up, calibrate it etc. Not a single one of the 30 guys in attendance had a clue how to use it. She's up there just flabbergasted, dont you guys use these everyday?, you have to use these, its in our regulations!
      Ya gotta love the disconnect between what the powers that be say should be done and what actually happens.

Comment

OSHA? what is OSHA We dont use that word around here...lol
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          OSHA? what is OSHA We dont use that word around here...lol
          OH $H!T HAPENED AGAIN {osha}
          SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Don't forget the OSHA approved confined space training!
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

my ears are burning
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Ya gotta love the disconnect between what the powers that be say should be done and what actually happens.
                And where (or who) is that disconnect? Your boss or the owner? Or are YOU (not you in particular, but anyone) the boss/owner? The owner/supervisor is the one responsible for the providing a workplace safe from known hazards or those that can be reasonably anticipated to occur or develop. And if YOU are the worker then YOU are responsible to engage your brain and not work in a manner that puts you or your co-workers at risk; to abide by the safety requirements of your employer, and use the required PPE properly. And if its not adequate for the task you need to notify your employer so they can get you the correct PPE or repair that which is damaged or in need of maintenance.

Or are you implying the disconnect is within OSHA or with your state if you live in a state with with their own plan (there are about 22 I believe).

It sad to say but "small operations" are the biggest offenders. And they have a encyclopedia of excuses for doing so.
                • Too expensive
                • Impacts production
                • Employees won't cooperate/use PPE
                • Can't be competitive and work safe
                • and on and on.
                But what those small operations are doing is playing Russian roulette, because one day they are going to get caught and someone is going to be seriously hurt or killed, and that will be the end of their business. Those "small operations" fly under the radar most of the time since OSHA requirements for employers with less than 10 employees are not as stringent as for other companies. The large percentage of the injuries and deaths that occur in these small operations are not always tallied or reported in the BLS statistics. So in many cases the death or injury rates are higher than those reported by the government in a particular trade or industry.

If you know its not being done right but you do it anyway you are just a guilty as the person doing it or who said to do the job in an unsafe manner.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

OSHA is a small town in northern Wisconsin, Right?

Comment

Osha is a joke. I called them twice and reported a problem and they never even showed up or called me back. Typical of people who have no fear of being terminated...jobs for life.

Comment

Working...
                    X