Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they sell a repair drop head that is permanently attached?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they sell a repair drop head that is permanently attached?

I'm looking for a 5/16" and 3/8" drop head that are permanently attached to the cable.... do they sell these things or do I go for a whole new cable?

I kinked the crap out of the 5/16" about a two feet in a while back and snapped the pin holding the actual auger of the drop head on the 3/8" and lost that little guy too. The cables are both in decent condition. The 3/8" has only been down the line maybe 5 times.
    Ideal Plumbing

Re: Do they sell a repair drop head that is permanently attached?

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
    I'm looking for a 5/16" and 3/8" drop head that are permanently attached to the cable.... do they sell these things or do I go for a whole new cable?

I kinked the crap out of the 5/16" about a two feet in a while back and snapped the pin holding the actual auger of the drop head on the 3/8" and lost that little guy too. The cables are both in decent condition. The 3/8" has only been down the line maybe 5 times.
    You are probably better off without an end at all rather than having a drop-head. Drop-heads have a very limited use and are prone to snapping off unless you have had a lot of practice with them.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

hmmm...

many things to comment on here...

first, your cable a few feet back is more than likely just fine.

whether that means anything good is your call.

I don't use 5/16 cable. I have 3/8, which I regard highly enough to put ends on so I can change bits and reterm it as need be. Smaller than that I go to 1/4", which I regard as disposable and whack messed up ends off of until too short to be useful and then replace.

Hard for me to accept that you torqued a 3/8 enough to snap a (previously unmolested) pin on a drop head w/o tweaking the heck out of the cable.... 3/8 is delicate stuff.

There is more to this story.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

No sir...snapped the pin but cable is fine. It's an inner-core type of cable. Maybe that's why I didn't damage the cable?
        Ideal Plumbing

Comment

i use drop heads on an as need basis and only when all else fails. the pins are the first thing to snap. when the drop head gets stuck in the tee or 90, the pin is what tweaks and off comes the bulb

my best drop head is the one that attaches to my 5/8'' sectional cable with the k-50.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post

http://www.draincables.com/Accessories_s/92.htm

Comment

so odd compared to my experience; I've yet to snap a pin. I have broken one, but not the pin. It was the other half of the swivel. it was so wallowed out from use that I'd been waiting for it to finally break for months. And the drop head is my go-to bit; i almost always go in with one for the first pass, mostly because I want to bring back some tampons or paper towels or wipes and match them up to something in the unit and tell them 'you really can't flush these'. Then I follow up with some big diameter blades.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
              X