X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got slimed YUK

Was working on getting a kitchen drain open yesterday.High rise in the city yeah. Carted all my gear up to the sixth floor.Tarped everything out real good (white cabinet of course recently remodeled) and proceded to run cables.. K-60 of course..Even with the reverse auger I was def. hitting a hell of a grease build up.I had one bitc* of a time getting the cable through. Figured I was struggling with the san. tee. Finally was able to get the cable feeding after the 3rd attempt and pulling back nothing ..Well after the cable started feeding freelyand I felt enough cable had been run to sufficiently clear the drain , I decided to start my retrieving process..Again tarped to the hilt white cabinets ..Couldn't hardly see and when I was getting close to the start of the first section (just pulling most of the way) had to nudge it past the tee probably . As soon as the cable spun I was slimed (cabinet and self)..I was so pissed luckily they had some spray 9 and paper towels there. Homeowner was nice enough..Wasn't that bad but I hate spending more time cleaning up than doing the job.And that black sludge is a night mare..

I usually run the cables through a rag and try being extremly careful when the cables coming back out ( always pulling the cable rather than spinning and slinging of course) when they are coming out but sometimes that doesn't help either .

I 'm sure everyone gets slimed from time to time it's part of the job but that part of the job really sucks ..

I am seriously considering a drum type of machine for these types of jobs.. There I said it (I am sure this happen with any machine though )

Rick ! Rick ! Talk me down off the ledge PLEASE!

I know I know step away from the light !
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Got slimed YUK

You can get slimed with a drum machine. What I like to do with my sectional machines (K-50 or Eel Model N) After I clear the line I like to get the coupling close to the trap adapter an couple the cable and make sure its not going to fall into the line. Then reattach the P-trap and run lots of good hot soapy water down the drain to wash the drain and my cables. Then retrieve them from the line. The one advantage the Model N has is 5' sectional cable stored in a drum.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I agree, there is nothing worse than having to clean up that black sink gunk...... except maybe Mr. Hanky smiling at you

Comment

get an aerator adapter and a short section of hose with just the female end for the adapter. cut off 6' washing machine hose should reach.

there is no way to keep a kitchen sink waste line clean without running water to help flush out the gunk. once you have cleared the line, start running more water down with the hose assy. no need to put the trap back as the hose will push into the nipple or tee. you might have to secure it to keep it from pulling out. a spring clamp works pretty good.

or make yourself up a plastic tee adapter with a band or mip. add a 45 on the open end to keep water from backing up and point the tee branch up. this will allow the hose to enter and not interfere with the cable

the sectional comes back much cleaner and drier than a drum cable due to the open wind and the high speed washing machine spin cycle affect

plus you can start and stop the rotation in a heart beat. plus manually pull it back if needed.

stay away from the edge and don't jump back into that drum

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          I agree, there is nothing worse than having to clean up that black sink gunk...... except maybe Mr. Hanky smiling at you

I'll say..Or Mrs. Hanky

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            true story. about 15 years ago i did some toilet replacements at the southpark studio. the real mr hanky fell off the lid and into the toilet nothing like reaching in to rescue him

would have been difficult to explain to the company that my hankey is on his way to hyperion/ our sewage treatment plant right next to lax.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              get an aerator adapter and a short section of hose with just the female end for the adapter. cut off 6' washing machine hose should reach.

there is no way to keep a kitchen sink waste line clean without running water to help flush out the gunk. once you have cleared the line, start running more water down with the hose assy. no need to put the trap back as the hose will push into the nipple or tee. you might have to secure it to keep it from pulling out. a spring clamp works pretty good.

or make yourself up a plastic tee adapter with a band or mip. add a 45 on the open end to keep water from backing up and point the tee branch up. this will allow the hose to enter and not interfere with the cable

the sectional comes back much cleaner and drier than a drum cable due to the open wind and the high speed washing machine spin cycle affect

plus you can start and stop the rotation in a heart beat. plus manually pull it back if needed.

stay away from the edge and don't jump back into that drum

rick.

OK Rick the light bulb came on . AWsome ! Now to create ..Off to the lab..
              Last edited by OLD1; 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

A Model N , a hose off the faucet, a coffee can, and a 45 gets you out fast and clean...
                I always go in with a roll of towels

Comment

Working...
                X