Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a Drain Cleaner

Hi everyone! My first post...

I am a property manager looking to invest in a good drain cleaning machine for fairly light use.. Maybe 1-2 drains/month and almost always kitchen and bath sinks and tubs. Usually no mainline problems.

I know there is a bit of an art to drain cleaning, and I am willing to learn. I want a machine that is a good value, good quality, durable and somewhat flexible for different uses. Also maybe something capable of a 50" line as we manage some older multiplexes that have some tubs joining over 20" from the tub that can be snaked and some real old cast iron traps that are hairpin turns with very little sweep that are not easily accessible. I have read several posts about what folks use and wanted to see about recommendations.

The local Home Depot had a couple K-400s "reconditioned" at $379 each- they looked new just returned to store. The box states able to go into 1 1/2" lines, but the drain service I use says "no way". Seems bigger than I what I need anyway.

Any good ideas on what machine to get? What machine, cable size, autofeed etc..? Good deals??.... anybody selling a good used unit??

Thanks so much!

Rick
    K-39
    25.00%
    K-40
    16.67%
    K-400
    0.00%
    None of the above
    58.33%

Re: Recommendations for a Drain Cleaner

Well you probably need 2 different snakes because for tubs and showers and bathroom lav sinks the k-39 or k-40 is the one you will use the most, but kitchen lines are a little different because it is grease usually, and you can use the k-39 or k-40 but it is a little small and may just poke a hole in the line to get it going but may clog again in a short period of time. So for sure get a k-39 or K-40 and try it on kitchen sinks but if they clog again quickly you may need to buy a little bigger snake like a ridgid k-380 or k-400 or a spartan 100, or a ridgid k-50. A good all around snake for you would actually be a ridgid k-50.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Right k-50 ... That is an all around good little machine..Check on ebay..Get the drum attachments 3/8" male cable and the 5/16" . When you get to those nasty kitchen lines tro' on the 5/8" cables , don't forget the reverse auger..sorry had to add that in.. ...I agree k-50 all the way..
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

K 50 No question about it...Tom

Comment

I say K-50 as well.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I say K-50 as well.

Mark
            Will a k-50 do 65' of 5/16? How much does it weigh with no cable. Thanks in advance.

Comment

k-50 with both the drum adapter and the 5/8'' sectional cables. a k-60 would be an overkill for what you're doing now, but a great tool if you move into larger or root lines.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                Will a k-50 do 65' of 5/16? How much does it weigh with no cable. Thanks in advance.
                I believe it is rated at 50' of 5/16" and the K-50 without any cables is 37.5 pounds. Hands down the K-50 is my favorite drain cleaner.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

OMG what is going on here? We have complete agreement? This is crazy I tell ya, we need some body to spoil the party. Because I have never seen this before.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

What answers would you expect on a Ridgid forum ? The K-50 is not on my Xmas list

Comment

Well there we have it ...k-50 it is ..Did you buy it yet?
                      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here is food for thought. What about getting a contract with a drain cleaning company. Yeah a real company. That is insured and licensed. I think the long run you will come out better doing that. Not every maintenance guy can do drains correctly.

Remember Drain cleaning is an art. It is also dangerous

Comment

Thanks everyone for your great feedback. Very Helpful!! I was amazed at the quick replies and (almost) consensus on the recommendation for the K-50 machine.

I found and won one on ebay with 3 cables and 2 canisters. A good start for the little stuff and hopefully a machine that I can use for bigger stuff with sectionals, if I need it!
                          You may hear from me again with some questions, once I get into using the machine.
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156

Comment

Originally posted by ickmo View Post
                            Thanks everyone for your great feedback. Very Helpful!! I was amazed at the quick replies and (almost) consensus on the recommendation for the K-50 machine.

I found and won one on ebay with 3 cables and 2 canisters. A good start for the little stuff and hopefully a machine that I can use for bigger stuff with sectionals, if I need it!
                            You may hear from me again with some questions, once I get into using the machine.
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156

When you or one of your maintenance hacks gets the cable stuck. It is going to be very costly to get it out

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                              Here is food for thought. What about getting a contract with a drain cleaning company. Yeah a real company. That is insured and licensed. I think the long run you will come out better doing that. Not every maintenance guy can do drains correctly.

Remember Drain cleaning is an art. It is also dangerous

Thanks for the input. I have been using a drain cleaning company for several years with decent results, but probably could have bought two K-50s by now without the hassle of scheduling, delays, etc..., so I thought I would see about getting my own machine.
                              I've had mixed results with some "licensed" folks and if it turns out I am not able to do it well or correctly, I am willing to chalk it up to experience, sell the unit and call the drain service guys- but at least know I tried and hopefully learned a bit in the process.

I've also got a good friend who used to work in drain cleaning that said he would show me the ropes (or cables)....

Comment

Working...
                              X